Kingsong 14D CUT-OUT !!!!

Scott Henley

On my way to work today my KS14d dropped me twice ! The first time was very minor . Low speed coming off my patio. Took a ~3” ledge at maybe 5mph and boom . The wheel lost its balance , fell forward and tossed me off . I picked it up and it righted it self immediately. Thinking it was a fluke or that maybe I hit a divot or something I continued on to work . Going ~15mph on a slight down hill I encountered another small dip . I was ejected forward again , this time hitting the pavement HARD!! . My lip is swollen like a golf ball. Ribs bruised . It’s bad ! Again picked up the wheel and it again righted itself immediately. I limped very very slowly to work . Battery was full and I wasn’t at max speed btw. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

On my way to work today my KS14d dropped me twice !

Sorry to hear it Buddy, we'll do what's necessary to get this repaired.

One piece of information from this description which wasn't in the message you sent me, was that the battery was full & you were going downhill at speed. Do you recall if it was >95% full, and that going down the hill caused the pack voltage to exceed the 67.2v triggering the BMS to cut out? It would be one explanation that might fit the facts. 

Were you wearing your wrist-guards at the time?

17 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

On my way to work today my KS14d dropped me twice ! The first time was very minor . Low speed coming off my patio. Took a ~3” ledge at maybe 5mph and boom . The wheel lost its balance , fell forward and tossed me off . I picked it up and it righted it self immediately. Thinking it was a fluke or that maybe I hit a divot or something I continued on to work . Going ~15mph on a slight down hill I encountered another small dip . I was ejected forward again , this time hitting the pavement HARD!! . My lip is swollen like a golf ball. Ribs bruised . It’s bad ! Again picked up the wheel and it again righted itself immediately. I limped very very slowly to work . Battery was full and I wasn’t at max speed btw. 

Ouch! Sorry to hear this :(

I avoid drops more than 1-inch when I can avoid it (sometimes I can't) because of the wear and tear PLUS to avoid the danger because of the extra power demand (learned from wearing the Pebble watch and monitoring power surges).

That all being said, I'm surprised that the KS14D has dropped you. I can imagine you've lost confidence in that wheel.

I'm glad I have the 14S for the extra power margin.

Are you going to treat us to some battle scar pictures :popcorn:

;)

39 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Sorry to hear it Buddy, we'll do what's necessary to get this repaired.

One piece of information from this description which wasn't in the message you sent me, was that the battery was full & you were going downhill at speed. Do you recall if it was >95% full, and that going down the hill caused the pack voltage to exceed the 67.2v triggering the BMS to cut out? It would be one explanation that might fit the facts. 

Were you wearing your wrist-guards at the time?

It’s a very slight decline . And I wasn’t at top speed probably 12-15mph or so . But this is the route I take to work everyday always on the 14D. It also cut out before this too . At low speed on my patio. I did tell you the battery was full . That I had charged it up last night . (I have to charge this wheel nightly due to the small battery capacity). 

I certainly was ! My favorite wrist guards at that ...Ewheels branded ones ! 

Not much to say, hope you're not injured too badly and it heals soon.

2 ideas:

• Well, it's just an 800W motor, maybe that was exceeded?
  • (To the more technically knowledgeable) Could it be a capacitor is blown, and therefore the wheel has less power?
    Does it feel softer than usual?

28 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Ouch! Sorry to hear this :(

I avoid drops more than 1-inch when I can avoid it (sometimes I can't) because of the wear and tear PLUS to avoid the danger because of the extra power demand (learned from wearing the Pebble watch and monitoring power surges).

That all being said, I'm surprised that the KS14D has dropped you. I can imagine you've lost confidence in that wheel.

I'm glad I have the 14S for the extra power margin.

Are you going to treat us to some battle scar pictures :popcorn:

;)

I will . Get some photos . The only “gore “ is my bruised and swollen lip. Everything else had a protective layer covering it . Went back to the scene of the incident. It’s more like .5-1.0” guess it just felt bigger at the time . Lol

6 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

It’s a very slight decline . And I wasn’t at top speed probably 12-15mph or so . But this is the route I take to work everyday always on the 14D. It also cut out before this too . At low speed on my patio. I did tell you the battery was full . That I had charged it up last night . (I have to charge this wheel nightly due to the small battery capacity). 

I certainly was ! My favorite wrist guards at that ...Ewheels branded ones ! 

You must have tiny hands, mine aren't even big and I can't get those things onto them. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

@Marty Backe, still got that popcorn handy? Here ya go . My lip .

Wow, fortunately no popcorn :unsure:.  I feel fortunate that with all of my falls, my face has never hit the ground. Seems that every time I fall my body twists, so maybe that helps. There's a theory that if you always ride with your legs bent (which I try and do) you will have an asymmetrical fall which means you won't literally faceplant.

Out of curiosity, do you recall if you were riding more or less straight-legged?

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, fortunately no popcorn :unsure:.  I feel fortunate that with all of my falls, my face has never hit the ground. Seems that every time I fall my body twists, so maybe that helps. There's a theory that if you always ride with your legs bent (which I try and do) you will have an asymmetrical fall which means you won't literally faceplant.

Out of curiosity, do you recall if you were riding more or less straight-legged?

I normally ride with my legs slightly bent . I just didn’t see this coming . I have (had maybe ) so much faith in this KS wheel that cut out never crossed my mind ) so when it happened I was not ready at all. I had helmet on that has a slight peak to the front of it . (Like it comes to a small point at the front ). I think this coupled with the fact that when I put my hands out the wrist guards kinda slid my hands across the ground made my lip contact the ground and nothing else on my face . My teeth don’t even hurt . Just my lip. 

44 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not much to say, hope you're not injured too badly and it heals soon.

2 ideas:

• Well, it's just an 800W motor, maybe that was exceeded?
  • (To the more technically knowledgeable) Could it be a capacitor is blown, and therefore the wheel has less power?
    Does it feel softer than usual?

No. It’s still firm and responsive as always. No clue what is going on . But l can tell you I’m scared to death of it now . 

18 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

No. It’s still firm and responsive as always. No clue what is going on . But l can tell you I’m scared to death of it now . 

When my MSuper threw me because of the bad firmware, I could barely ride it home. Rode it very slowly. Was paranoid about it dropping me. In my case I'm thankful that it was firmware so that I could feel confident once the board was re-flashed.

I'm not sure what I would do if a wheel dumped me for no apparent reason. Twice even. Without knowing why I can't say that I would ride the wheel again.

@Scott Henley

Scott, you say this happend twice...And as it was no blown mosfet as the wheel still works, i would suggest a board problem!

Did it feel like the pedals hot substantial weaker? Then perhaps you might have a “capacitor” problem!

I dont think it was any kind of “overcharge” prob, because Ks wheels warn for a longer time,and THEN they tiltback....thats no cutout scenario!

So i would advise for a board check, defintly! not normal behaviour and wheels dont heal themself!

Dont drive anymore!

Ah maybe something got damaged / loose when you pulled a Choochtech?  :whistling:These wheels don't have much of a suspension system.  Basically all you got is rubber tire and air in a tube.  Imagine taking off the struts on your car and then go flying over a small ramp and see what happens.  

I've dropped off small curbs of 1 - 5 inches on both my generic and Ninebot, and both are still working luckily.  Knock on wood.  I haven't flown over any ramps though, but I imagine it's tough on connectors and components.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

When my MSuper threw me because of the bad firmware, I could barely ride it home. Rode it very slowly. Was paranoid about it dropping me. In my case I'm thankful that it was firmware so that I could feel confident once the board was re-flashed.

I'm not sure what I would do if a wheel dumped me for no apparent reason. Twice even. Without knowing why I can't say that I would ride the wheel again.

I’m not . I had to ride the rest of the way to work .(in a lot of pain ) very very slowly for fear it would happen again . And when I left work very very slowly . 

Ewheels own @Jason McNeil , being the awesome guy he is , has graciously offered to take the wheel back and has told me it’s not worth the risk . So I’m upgrading to the 14s for a bit more peace of mind . 

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ah maybe something got damaged / loose when you pulled a Choochtech?  :whistling:These wheels don't have much of a suspension system.  Basically all you got is rubber tire and air in a tube.  Imagine taking off the struts on your car and then go flying over a small ramp and see what happens.  

I've dropped off small curbs of 1 - 5 inches on both my generic and Ninebot, and both are still working luckily.  Knock on wood.  I haven't flown over any ramps though, but I imagine it's tough on connectors and components.

Wise words @Hunka Hunka Burning Love  Now that I recall, you've been jumping your 14D.

As @KingSong69 says, these wheels don't heal themselves. I don't know how you can test the board other than looking for obviously damages capacitors. Probably is time for a new control board if for no other reason than peace of mind.

5 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@Scott Henley

Scott, you say this happend twice...And as it was no blown mosfet as the wheel still works, i would suggest a board problem!

Did it feel like the pedals hot substantial weaker? Then perhaps you might have a “capacitor” problem!

I dont think it was any kind of “overcharge” prob, because Ks wheels warn for a longer time,and THEN they tiltback....thats no cutout scenario!

So i would advise for a board check, defintly! not normal behaviour and wheels dont heal themself!

Dont drive anymore!

Thanks for the input. Yes once st low speed , once at a higher pace . Both occurred after a small bump (~1” lip ) 

Something is definitely not right ! Don’t worry . I’m not getting on it again . I can’t bring myself to , lol, I’m legitimately scared of it now . And not having full faith in your wheel is a really bad feeling . 

2 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

I’m not . I had to ride the rest of the way to work .(in a lot of pain ) very very slowly for fear it would happen again . And when I left work very very slowly . 

Ewheels own @Jason McNeil , being the awesome guy he is , has graciously offered to take the wheel back and has told me it’s not worth the risk . So I’m upgrading to the 14s for a bit more peace of mind . 

Wow, that's good to hear, regards EWheels.

The 14S is an absolute killer wheel. As soon as I pull myself away from this keyboard I'm heading out to the workshop to replace my 14S control board. Video to follow (if you're curious about the innards).

11 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Thanks for the input. Yes once st low speed , once at a higher pace . Both occurred after a small bump (~1” lip ) 

Something is definitely not right ! Don’t worry . I’m not getting on it again . I can’t bring myself to , lol, I’m legitimately scared of it now . And not having full faith in your wheel is a really bad feeling . 

So both occured after , waht i would say a small power surge...

That means it are the either caps...sometime a caps wire gets burned .or breaks!...especially if you are kind of a “torque racer” who puts all time stress on the wheel. (and that not only goes for KS)

Or one of the battery packs perhaps have cell probs (but that i dont think that much)

1 minute ago, Scott Henley said:

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

This is a good point and I’d say you could be on to something . Though I did ride some trails and such after this jump . And had no issues with the wheel whatsoever. Even came home , charged it and went on s store run afterwards as well. All was fine . 

Archived