Update from China: New IPS Wheel

Jason McNeil

I recently got back from a short 4 day visit around the Shanghai area. The first port-of-call was the IPS office in central Shanghai: I was greeted by Yueyue, (the sales contact) & Zhangxin, who runs the R&D Operation. During our ride from airport, Zhangxin told me about the absurd restrictions that Riders face in China, mainly in the cities of Beijing & Shanghai, where one is permitted to ride a 300kg lead-acid battery Scooter on the pavement, but the moment you're caught using an Electric Unicycle, you face an immediate fine, possible confiscation & the traffic warden will take a picture of you so that on the subsequent occasion you're catch, the case goes to court. And these are THE two cities in China most plagued by congestion. :huh:

Anyways... the reason this is relevant, is because Zhangxin uses depends on an Electric Unicycle to commute with, in spite of the repressive anti-EUC regime, so a big kudos to him—at no other factory that I'm aware off, do the Sr. Management rely on Wheels to get about.

They gave me short presentation of their new 14" Wheel, which will be complementary addition to the I5, known as the S5—pictures to follow in a few weeks, when it's officially announced. For those wanting to have the 'Safest Wheel', or one that might meet a future European criterion for safety, this may be the Wheel for you!

• Single Wheel but with two completely independent motors
  • Dual battery pack (consisting of 32x (total) 21700 cells) with separate inputs to the board
  • A board that is fault-tolerant & can take a single MOSFET failure, because the two motors are working independently of each other
  • Magnesium alloy shell that's built like a tank, 3.5mm thick, vs. 1.5 on the i5
  • Probably the best App of any Wheel manufacturer, no social non-sense just what you need for configuration the Wheel & viewing vital stats
  • What's particularly cool about the S5 interface, is that because the redundant systems run completely independent of each other, the power, battery, range stats are shown on two columns, you get a complete insight on what's going on inside
  • I think it's quite an attractive Wheel, think of the I5, but thicker with tastefully furnished LED strips running vertically on each corner
  • There's supposed to be other advantages to having a dual-motor, increased torque over a  range of RPMs (presumably because the combined stators are wider) & a greater efficiency
  • Weight is around 15kg, considering all the built-in redundancy, this is quite an achievement
  • Then there's the BMS: this thing has temperature sensors, each of the cells voltage is monitored separately in the App, also incorporates a lot of scenario protections for reducing the risk of fire or other mishaps 

uc?export=view&id=17bKqkY0XWNVWQxK0Oj-vw

28 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

For those wanting to have the 'Safest Wheel', or one that might meet a future European criterion for safety, this may be the Wheel for you!

Great review! If IPS can implement significant  state-of-the/art safety redundancies and individual cell monitoring to their new wheel there is no reason why Gotway, Kingsong, Inmotion and Ninebot can’t do the same! 

Nice to see iPS is taking things in a different direction than all the other companies.

And good to see they went single wheel, instead of the rumored double wheel for the S5, .... interesting it's 14", and not the rumored 16".

So 32 21700 cells would equate to around 346Wh for 30T 3Ah, and 553Wh for 48G 4.8Ah.

Hopefully the increased cell count with dual motors means a decent max speed and power, but even so, not sure exactly what the use case is for the S5, especially weighing double the i5 (hope they have a home-baked trolley solution, as carrying ~33lbs is not fun, similar to carrying a Ninebot One weight).

Jason's description does sound like they kept the same design as in the early leaked photos though:

5cdd0188-bfa2-4c8d-832d-3cea2db72751.jpg

Did someone say dual motors?  :w00t2:  I wonder how they get them to work smoothly in conjunction with one another.   I've always wondered what the characteristics of having two motors versus one wide magnet / wide stator motor would be in terms of torque and speed capability.

Judging by the cost of creating shells let alone magnesium alloy ones, HOJ is likely correct.  Too bad though - they could have maybe made it rounder like a Ninebot and more futuristic looking rather than sticking with the larger gas can style.  Com'on, looks do count!  Never discount a cool, futuristic looking wheel.

You wonder why more companies don't commission design idea drawings and concepts for shells from art schools, engineering companies, and online design competitions.  There's a lot of imaginative people out there to tap from.  If the local source is just capable of making blah uninspiring shell designs, why not shake things up and get a few concept drawings in from a few different sources?  IPS hasn't been well known for their beautiful shell designs except for the industrial yet cool looking Xima Lhotz.  I wish they would up their style game just a notch.

LOL - I just showed that photo above to someone and asked what they thought it was.  "Waffle Maker" and "George Foreman Grill" were mentioned.  :lol:

IMG_3976.jpg

At least give it an unusual shape?

IMG_3975.jpg

Dunno,.... I'm a fan of the no-nonsense styling.

If you can't get as sleek as a Ninebot or InMotion, better no design than going too gaudy, like Gotway has done recently with their rainbow-EUC-egg-pageant parade in the MTen3, Tesla, & MCM5.

When I still had my i5, I loved the fact that I could ride it wearing a suit, and it wouldn't take away from the professional look aesthetic. Plus, when arriving at my destination, I could pick it up (being so light) like a covert briefcase, and all around would be none the wiser :ph34r:

What I didn't like about the i5 was the under-powering, which made me reach for my other EUCs all the time (didn't end up riding it much).

And now that the MSuper2 shell/design is a far distant memory, it's nice to see an EUC model pick up that mantle, as the MSuper2's tank-like boxy design has grown on me over the years. :D

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

If you can't get as sleek as a Ninebot or InMotion, better no design than going too gaudy, like Gotway has done recently with their rainbow-EUC-egg-pageant parade in the MTen3, Tesla, & MCM5.

When I still had my i5, I loved the fact that I could ride it wearing a suit, and it wouldn't take away from the professional look aesthetic. Plus, when arriving at my destination, I could pick it up (being so light) like a covert briefcase, and all around would be none the wiser :ph34r:

:shock2:  It's almost Easter!  How can you blaspheme the Easter Egg light show lookitme shell design of my beloved Tesla!?  Okay okay - I know - I'm not a huge fan of the egg design either, but I'm sure there's some way to incorporate sleek cool futurism with stylish black suit understatedness at the same time without needing to draw inspiration from gas canisters and waffle makers.  We just haven't seen what the creative options are yet.

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:shock2:  It's almost Easter!  How can you blaspheme the Easter Egg light show lookitme shell design of my beloved Tesla!?  Okay okay - I know - I'm not a huge fan of the egg design either, but I'm sure there's some way to incorporate sleek cool futurism with stylish black suit understatedness at the same time without needing to draw inspiration from gas canisters and waffle makers.  We just haven't seen what the creative options are yet.

Lolololol flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg  paper-easter-egg-sign-icon-black-hat-mustache-bow-tie-glasses-isolated-grey-background-tradition-symbol-53193172.jpg latest?cb=20140410205321

solowheel.jpeg

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

What I didn't like about the i5 was the under-powering, which made me reach for my other EUCs all the time (didn't end up riding it much).

And now that the MSuper2 shell/design is a far distant memory, it's nice to see an EUC model pick up that mantle, as the MSuper2's tank-like boxy design has grown on me over the years. :D

I've heard strong rumors that the upcoming 20-inch wheel from Gotway will be closer to the MSuper 2 body style. You should be happy :thumbup:

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Did someone say dual motors?  :w00t2:  I wonder how they get them to work smoothly in conjunction with one another.   I've always wondered what the characteristics of having two motors versus one wide magnet / wide stator motor would be in terms of torque and speed capability.

Judging by the cost of creating shells let alone magnesium alloy ones, HOJ is likely correct.  Too bad though - they could have maybe made it rounder like a Ninebot and more futuristic looking rather than sticking with the larger gas can style.  Com'on, looks do count!  Never discount a cool, futuristic looking wheel.

You wonder why more companies don't commission design idea drawings and concepts for shells from art schools, engineering companies, and online design competitions.  There's a lot of imaginative people out there to tap from.  If the local source is just capable of making blah uninspiring shell designs, why not shake things up and get a few concept drawings in from a few different sources?  IPS hasn't been well known for their beautiful shell designs except for the industrial yet cool looking Xima Lhotz.  I wish they would up their style game just a notch.

LOL - I just showed that photo above to someone and asked what they thought it was.  "Waffle Maker" and "George Foreman Grill" were mentioned.  :lol:

IMG_3976.jpg

At least give it an unusual shape?

:roflmao:

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Could this be the perfect Fat Unicyclist wheel (with lunch included)?   :wub:

53 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Could this be the perfect  Fat Unicyclist wheel (with lunch included)?   :wub:

27217140428_839ebec40f_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

27217140428_839ebec40f_b.jpg

Ahhh... Rolling down the river back, smelling my sandwich toasting from regenerative braking! 

Now all it needs is a (chilled) drink holder... 

Individual cell monitoring is something IPS has been doing for a while. When i killed my LHOTZ Yueyue asked me to screenshot her the individual cell readouts from the app (which i couldn't do because it was android only or for some reason didn't work on my iPhone). 

I really do like IPS, they may not have been making the fastest or most powerful wheels but i had immense confidence in my IPS and their customer service is great. 

22 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Jason's description does sound like they kept the same design as in the early leaked photos though:

Yeah, that's it, but the case is now a much cooler stealth matte black finish. 

22 hours ago, houseofjob said:

So 32 21700 cells would equate to around 346Wh for 30T 3Ah, and 553Wh for 48G 4.8Ah.

In which department of the NSA do you work at? Are there no secrets from your network of EUC Factory Field Agents? ;)

22 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Wow!  Interesting.  Can’t wait for the specs.  How powerful is it, battery size? How fast can it go?  

Got to leave something for the 'Official' announcement, I think the Community will be impressed by the performance specs. 

On 28/03/2018 at 3:32 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

The "old" S5 (16 incher in a form factor similar to the i5) is dead?

Believe the S5 was always to be a 14", where was there information before which had it as a 16"?  

11 hours ago, nute said:

I really do like IPS, they may not have been making the fastest or most powerful wheels

It's great to see the Wheel Companies becoming more specialized & trying to cater for different segments of the market. The sales numbers show that most Riders want a higher performing 16" but this is not necessarily the case for everyone. There are Customers who place a higher premium on absolute portability at the same performance as the original SW, it's difficult to see how something like the i5 will be beat in this area for sometime to come.  

Great, finally, IPS is making a great progress in the right direction for the next generation EUCs. The characteristics of the next generation EUC, IMHO, are redundancy in driving system, close monitoring of cells and load test when EUC starts, shock absorbers. IPS's new model looks like to have at least two of this characteristics.

However, I question the wisdom of implementing these characteristics on a 14" wheel instead of on a off-road model first. I think that off-roaders are more demanding in safety features and are willing to pay more for such features.

:angry:   Iz it jus me or is evrybody like steeling my ideers?  Be cause I was jus reveiwing my older post's and see that I sayed stuff about duel motors waaaay back and now guess wot?  And like 100 v?  Com'on.  Monster 100v speshull edition?  See the connexion?  I gotta start copycating all my idears so they dont steel more stuff.  Time to visiting the patent's ofice.  Tri n goggle trannyslate tat u chyneese steelers!

11 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Believe the S5 was always to be a 14", where was there information before which had it as a 16"?

Not entirely sure. If you google "IPS S5" you get multiple sellers stating it's a 16 incher.

Multiple threads here where it's always discussed as a 16 inch wheel. But maybe it was just a misunderstanding. Or they really changed their plans (also, there was once talk about a dual wheel IPS 14 incher, whatever happened to that?). Not sure what the original piece of information was. Maybe a video?

@meepmeepmayer I looked back at my notes, and while my memory is fuzzy, there was a weird Russian blog site link that had described the S5 specs / details (most seem to be wrong now), and I think that’s where the 16” talk came from. 

Interestingly, that link plus the website itself is no longer:  transporteco.net / http://bit.ly/2zORL4b

• 2 months later...

Redundant motors is completely pointless. Like an electric motor would fail without any physical damage where redundancy won't help either. Redundant mosfets or board, fine, but motors? But I guess they know better what they are doing.

Great news .

This is a major progress! IPS is leading the EUC into next generation tech.

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Redundant motors is completely pointless. Like an electric motor would fail without any physical damage where redundancy won't help either. Redundant mosfets or board, fine, but motors? But I guess they know better what they are doing.

IPS uses two sets of motor so that each driving system including power supply and control board are absolutely independent. Otherwise you will need a central processing board to determine when to switch to which drive board, void the independence. 

However, how does it deal with this situation, where you drive fast and both motors are working hard? Suddenly, one set failed, then all burden is shifted to the other set, causing the remaining set to fail too. Thus, to be safe, each set can only work at 1/2 of its capability, and ramp up to 100% when the other set fails.

With this technology, IPS should make longer range, faster wheels for EUC enthusiasts to compete with GW, KS, NB1Z. I will buy one for sure

Sorry but a bit of a miss for me.  I was really looking forward to a slimmer, lighter Lhotz -  16" wheel, 10kg or so and 30km/h.  The S5 sounds ok and kudos to IPS for something different but from a general riding experience doesn't sound that different from everything else.  The I5 is really out there but too slow.  

Archived