I am not being able to get it and I am Afraid of breaking it

claudioagmfilho

16S is good to learn on. Just take it slow and easy. It will click one day. I've tried 10", 14", and 16" wheels and I feel 16 is the sweet spot. Just find a wall and learn how to go back and forth on it. Find two close together walls and go back and forth. You should be able to pick it up in a few days. 

Wheels with good padding and high bodies are usually the best / easiest for learning, especially if you are taller than average (ie. higher shin bones) because the hardest concept for EUC is mounting the wheel (shin bone against the pad counter balancing the downward force of the foot on the pedal).

The InMotion wheels (V5, V8) excel at that due to their taller bodies.

The KS18 series should be good as well (tall body), but the heavier wheel weight and wider body can be a bit cumbersome for new riders learning. 

Also, the newer Gotway Tesla sports a pretty high body and should be good for newbies as well, but you would probably have to mount better DIY side pads for comfort.

6 minutes ago, claudioagmfilho said:

Hi guys was wondering what’s the easiest euc to learn on? 

I have a KS 16s but I am riding it to hard to learn on even tho I padded it 

is the last KS 14b or the ninebot one ?

Does not matter if 14 or 16inch wheel or ninebot ot whatever...

You just have to keep going...look all ytube videos and dont give up!

It seams impossible at the beginning...but after a time there will come the click!

Yeah, I remember the first night when I couldn't even get on the wheel and was totally winded and stiff afterwards... Then the second day i found a small soccer-field for kids with a small goal i could grab on to, getting up, going three meters, stopping, turning around, getting up, going three meters and so on. Eventually I could get up without the support and ride for a few meters. Third day I found an empty (almost) parking lot, and gradually I could get up and run, and even turn (very scary).

Then I just went riding slowly on a bicycle path, going to a small music event. Taking my time and trying to relax I eventually found my balance. I was still very much a noob, and had to respect that fact, but I could get around.

Then it just clicked and wasn't hard anymore. Or rather, it was hard on the feet and calves, since my muscles were not at all used to the strain. But that too went away, I even started losing weight running around - especially when I had learned to maneuver and break hard, getting out of wobbles and handling bumps and such. Then I could really go for it, and the core-training made an impression on my body.

One thing I find helpful is to try to think of anything except what you are actually doing.  Chin up, eyes looking down the path/road, confident about going to your destination.  Don’t focus on what to do if you fall.  Focus on owning it.

i learned in a parking deck with a wall about waist high.  I could get on wheel and slowly work my way down the wall.  Eventually I told myself to stop being weak, man up and go.  I fell a few times but after a few weeks I find it more difficult to get on the wheel using a wall than I do just hopping on.  

A good helmet and wrist guards do wonders for your confidence.  Find a good surface free of bumps, etc.  

you will get it and when you do it’s really cool!

and I trashed a ninebot learning so I understand your concern with scratching up your wheel!

Just keep thinking of all the wasted money you spent if you dont learn to ride it . That gave me the determination to have the attitude ( I AM GOING TO RIDE THIS ) , I think the best approach was to go all in and put one foot on the pedal and as you step onto it catch the other pedal with your other foot as it comes up then stand up straight and apply pressure to front of peddles immediatley as motion helps to keep balance just like a bike is easier to balance when moving. DONT GIVE UP !!!!! You wont regret it when everything clicks . 

my son picked up in 3 days 45min each time again school wall, end of 2nd day he was riding off/ away from the wall, after that I told him to use belt, with in 7 days or so, No belt.... It does take time, but the reward is incredible. 

Yep, when I first got my wheel, I though I made a HUGE mistake and wasted my money.  It felt impossible to get on it.  I wondered how anyone could possibly ride these things.  Two days later, and I was able to (wobbly) ride around short distances.  In four days, I was riding up to 10 miles on the local bike path.  

It just takes time for your body to learn to balance. 

What helped me was to use a long leash.  Not for balancing, but just to hold in my hand and be able to hold up the wheel when I fell off.  It made me not worry about scratching up the wheel too much so I rode more and more.

Good for you. That's an encounter/experience that most folks will go through. But it's all good. After my 2 months of riding, my wife got inspired and now she is riding. I describe riding the wheel is like on an infinite escalator. Now I am trying to do tricks or slick maneuvers on it. Fell a couple of times, part of learning... So far, no regret and have fun always! Keep at it..get bored..learn new maneuvers...

Persistance is the key to learning this. It will seem very difficult for awhile. Younger people seem to learn quicker, but I'm 52, and figured it out in about a week. It took about a month to get really comfortable turning, getting on and off, etc. It can also take some time to build up the endurance needed for longer rides. My feet would get really sore after just a few hundred yards at first. Then I worked by way up to a mile, and now several miles before I want to stop and rest my feet. It keeps getting better, but it does take time.

4 minutes ago, brjohnso said:

Persistance is the key to learning this. It will seem very difficult for awhile. Younger people seem to learn quicker, but I'm 52, and figured it out in about a week. It took about a month to get really comfortable turning, getting on and off, etc. It can also take some time to build up the endurance needed for longer rides. My feet would get really sore after just a few hundred yards at first. Then I worked by way up to a mile, and now several miles before I want to stop and rest my feet. It keeps getting better, but it does take time.

I got it in about three times one hour. But it took me another week or so before I was comfortable on bad ground, inclines, curbs and so on. The endurance part was really bad in the beginning, just like @brjohnso mentioned. Unless you're an avid skier, these are not muscles used to that kind of static/dynamic stress for long periods of time. It takes some riding to build the strength in feet, calves, thighs and core.

I vividly remember stepping off after each ride being so tired that my legs were shaking.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Probably others will not agree, but did you try beer or two before riding (if you are above 21 :))

One of my co-workers got a DUI for riding his bike after a few beers, I would assume the same applies to EUCs.

The only reason I can think of a ks16s is a bad wheel to learn riding on is it's weight. It's like trying to learn motorcycle riding on a 1000cc. There is no denying it's easier on a smaller one first.

After you have learned how to ride you will not regret it though because the 16S is a sweet allround wheel. No need to upgrade for a while.

I took the advice, from someone here on the forum, to start with a used wheel or buy a cheap one.

I had already ordered the KS 16s!! Ok, what to do?

So I went to a toystore and bought a toy wheel for 250€, it was a good choice. The wheel was 14”.

My first struggling attempts broke the plastic cover and scratched the wheel really hard. 

In my teenage years (now 51) me and a friend was hooked up on cycling old fashion unicycle. I was convinced that this should help me

learning ride the EUC quicker. And I think it did, In 30min I could ride straight forward and after 1hour I could turn pretty good.

Now after 4 weeks, 2 weeks on toy wheel, I’am riding my KS 16s really good. 

All the problems described I have too. Sore feet, shaky legs and muscle pain, but it’s getting better everyday.?

23 minutes ago, Christer said:

Now after 4 weeks, 2 weeks on toy wheel, I’am riding my KS 16s really good. 

This begs the question, how does the KS-16S compare with the cheap wheel you learned on?

AND the €60,000 question, would you have actually been better of padding up your KS-16S well and saving the €250 you spent on the cheap wheel? Or do you think the cheapness of that wheel meant you were much less nervous of riding it so progressed a lot faster?

1 hour ago, Keith said:

This begs the question, how does the KS-16S compare with the cheap wheel you learned on?

AND the €60,000 question, would you have actually been better of padding up your KS-16S well and saving the €250 you spent on the cheap wheel? Or do you think the cheapness of that wheel meant you were much less nervous of riding it so progressed a lot faster?

The differens between the wheels is huge! Like driving a Flintstone car or the newest Audi. So the money difference is well worth spending on the KS.

It is possible your right that my learning was faster knowing I’m riding a cheap wheel. Still I think my balance memory from unicycling helped me.

I thought about padding the KS but I was unsecured if the tape will leave marks, my KS is the one with rubber finish.

Now I lend my toy wheel to friends how will try EUC and hopefully they buy a real wheel and come ride with me

2 hours ago, Keith said:

Both of your scenarios apply but in @Christer ‘s case I would just pad the heck out of his KS 16S instead shelling out another $250 for an unsafe wheel. If I still had my KS 16S silicone cover I would gladly give it to him.

Nobody wants to drop their brand wheel and put scratches in it. It’s like buying a new car and getting your first dent from some idiot opening their door. 

In addition to padding try using a tether strap. It is a viable method that greatly reduces learning anxiety. I’m not sure why some members are against it but I used one on my new Tesla. Granted I did not want to compromise my fractured humerus if I missed a pedal and involuntarily reached out to catch it but the tether method does give you a sense of control and piece of mind while learning to ride. 

Archived