Dual weels vs single weel

guidolal

I am in the process of buying a EUC   i am trying to get infos that comparer a single weel to a dual wells   Is it more stable ? does it take more battery ?  is is simpler to learn ?   est..  Thanks

I've never ridden one, but I think and have heard it can be unstable when going diagonally across inclines. The other thing to consider is that not a single one of them has specs that are anywhere close to the single wheels. Not one regular poster here uses a two wheeled EUC regularly, that speaks volumes in my opinion. They may be alright to learn on, but after learning, you probably will not like it. 

From what I've seen the dual tire EUCs are easier to learn on, but ultimately they aren't as versatile as riding a one wheeler over various terrain.  Maybe it's somewhat similar to riding a tricycle versus a bicycle.  Easier to learn on,  but ultimately you end up riding a bike if you want to use it to seriously get anywhere. 

46 minutes ago, guidolal said:

dual wells   Is it more stable ?

Yes.

does it take more battery ?

Uh? No... but there will be less battery choices since two-wheelers are rare.

is is simpler to learn ?

Yes.

est..

Uh? Two wheels sacrifice agility for stability. Not very popular with experienced riders, but easier for beginners to learn.

From another thread today:

steve454     3,215

steve454

"The easiest wheel to learn is one with two tires like the Inmotion V3 pro.  Also called Swagtron on Amazon.  Built in trolley handle, bluetooth speakers,around $500.  

Good starter wheel, especially if you don't expect to do long rides.

You can always upgrade later if you want, most people on the forum don't have a high opinion of two wheel euc's, saying that they don't handle side slopes well, but how often does that happen?  Plus, you can keep the wheel vertical by riding on the uphill tire."

Now what'd be interesting is if they could slide apart from each other to lean into turns intelligently somehow sorta like this....

yamaha-or2t-cornering-closeup.jpg

Imagine that with skinnier tires, maybe two 2.5 inch wide tires, always making contact. You could scream around corners. They could probably do that maybe somehow. I think that would be cool, but I don't like the riding around on thread spool style they have now. 

6 hours ago, guidolal said:

I am in the process of buying a EUC   i am trying to get infos that comparer a single weel to a dual wells   Is it more stable ? does it take more battery ?  is is simpler to learn ?   est..  Thanks

I agree with @Keith....terrible idea. I started out on a Airwheel Q6 and rode it for approximately  2 weeks. Yes they are easy to ride but in my opinion it set me behind learning how to ride a one wheel. Plus I took a huge monetary loss when I attempted to sell it. 

39194265090_0a5d3682ef_b.jpg

Lots of good replies here.  I'd like to clarify a point.  When riding on a level smooth surface, everything is fine.  But if one wheel is forced to ride over a raised, or lowered section of path (due to there being no better alternative route) the load is suddenly all on the tire on the higher ground.  This will force the wheel sideways quite violently, into the calf of the opposite leg.  This would be a very unpleasant experience.  Going over an undulating or irregular surface would toss the wheel back and forth, wildly.  Just remembering the sideways force I get on my single 2.5" tire when one side of the tire rolls over a raised section of road, then extrapolating it out to a completely different tire 4 to 5 inches away, is hard to comprehend.

For an occasional beach boardwalk, or ultra smooth cycle/jog path plaything, at a killer price, it would be ok, but for real world riding, no way.

That was a slick video, and If I could pick up a two-wheeler for $£E50 I probably would, just to have something to teach people with, but nothing more.

10 hours ago, guidolal said:

Just to take this discussion to the next level - and hopefully away from the subject of twin wheel EUC’s. You haven’t actually said anything about yourself, your age and your current abilities?

To put riding single wheel EUC’s into perspective, I have yet to find anyone who has any previous experience of a stand-up balancing sport such as skiing, windsurfing, skateboard, roller skates, kite surfing, ice skating, etc,etc, who has had much difficulty learning to ride an EUC. and the vast  majority of those with no previous experience have also got the hang of it quite quickly. To add to this, the price, and relatively low publicity they have had means the average age of riders on this forum is around 45+ with many, including myself, being over 60 when they first took it up. There is a lot to be said for the old adage “you cannot teach an old dog new tricks” but even 60+ year olds have learned to ride them in no more than a week or so, with young children being able to master them often in minutes, certainly no more than hours.

Yes we do get the very occasional “for sale” in the private adds from someone who has given up, but they are few and far between and often the result of being too frightened to get moving at a reasonable speed. Try riding a bicycle at 1 or 2 MPH, that is what riding an EUC at 1 or 2 MPH is like as well - you have to do something like the 1960’s Twist dance to keep it upright Once you have the confidence to go at least at brisk walking speed it all falls into place quite quickly.

As a current dual-wheel owner for 2 yrs (as well as 2 single wheel euc's), I have to agree that it is great to learn on, but once you experience a single wheel, the differences couldn't be clearer..In variety, speed, distance, and power.

I'm on the fence about selling my dual wheel (Inmotion V3S) because I have had occasion to get people to try it in my commune. I wouldn't be so sure they'd have had the confidence to try a single wheeled euc though. And when I casually roll around at a school I work at, the comments are priceless.. from teachers and students both. But this is about the only place I use it now. I suppose I'd take an opportunity to sell it if presented to allow someone else to enter, enjoy, and grow in this sport. Admittedly, any proceeds would likely go towards replacing it with another single wheel euc anyway.

Just my 2¢.   ?

I have an Inmotion V3s, and am less negative on it than what I read in prior posts here.  I think that for many such purchases, there's no single "best" choice, it's a matter of knowing the trade-offs, thinking clearly of what you're optimising for.   I bought the Inmotion dual wheeler primarily to encourage my wife to learn to ride (still TBD, FWIW).  It is indeed a little wonky on rough ground, but to be fair, my IPS i5 takes a little care over rough ground too, just --- differently.   The dual wheels makes turning a little different, you either carve your turn wider, slower, or you learn to comfortably shift your weight so the outer of the two wheels in the turn is unweighted when you do it.   And this model has pretty limited range and speed (and admonishes me with a verbal "slow down!" if I don't notice the tilt back warning).     But.

But it's great having a wheel at home that I can use to introduce friends, acquaintances, relatives, whoever, to let them get a feel for it.  So beyond a "learning" wheel, I might also suggest it as a "loaner wheel" if you feel at all evangelical about EUCs.

I've also been in situations where I want to ride at the pace of people who are walking.  A dual wheeled EUC is great for this, the extra stability makes this nice for such situations, and the EUC form factor makes it much better than, say, a Segway in that it's easy to pass people on a sidewalk (i.e., overall width when riding it is similar to that of a pedestrian).   I personally also like the stability to practice juggling, and for getting more comfortable riding backwards (which is also easier on a dual wheel EUC).  I like the fact that with the power on, it stands upright by itself (I literally jump on it with both feet to mount).

Yes, it's a bit of a niche product.  But I don't think badly of it for being what it is, rather consider the particular benefits.   I like that I was able to get an off-the-shelf padded cover for it, which makes it that much more comfortable for me to let other people learn on it.

Certainly if I was to own just one EUC, it would definitely NOT be this one, no argument there!

Archived