anyone else expreince knee pain when rididng euc?

Shad0z

when riding euc it hurts when i bend my knees. it slowly goes away after now riding euc for a few days and remains for a few weeks as a very subtle pain when bending knees

it was very bad when i started riding euc. but then it got better and better. and it still is getting slowly better

but does anyone know what this is? or have you tried something similair?

You may just need to do some leg exercises to strengthen the muscles. When I ride a long time I tend to get some soreness in my quadraceps and soles of my feet, but not in my knees. Well, until I blew out my knee recently, but that wasn't from riding a long time. I've been doing some exercises for rehab and noticed how tight even the uninjured leg is. Stretching and light strength exercises help with that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shad0z said:

something in between theyre not locked stright but theyre not super bent either

I think you are in the correct position, so this does not explain the pain. Locking your knees would be bad.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/24/2018 at 6:41 PM, Shad0z said:

when riding euc it hurts when i bend my knees. it slowly goes away after now riding euc for a few days and remains for a few weeks as a very subtle pain when bending knees

it was very bad when i started riding euc. but then it got better and better. and it still is getting slowly better

but does anyone know what this is? or have you tried something similair?

hows the knee pain holding up Shad0z?

Didnt notice it much with V8 but am noticing it a lot more with KS18L

9 hours ago, Siggy said:

hows the knee pain holding up Shad0z?

Didnt notice it much with V8 but am noticing it a lot more with KS18L

I later found out its because i have extreme flat feet, so my knnes fall together, now there is no knee pain, but i have issues with one knee and some crackling sounds, now i got the proper footwear so my knees dont fall iward, and also do some exercises with the knee and its quickly improving

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shad0z said:

I later found out its because i have extreme flat feet, so my knnes fall together, now there is no knee pain, but i have issues with one knee and some crackling sounds, now i got the proper footwear so my knees dont fall iward, and also do some exercises with the knee and its quickly improving

Sounds awesome! Could you share the specific exercises that worked for you?

1 hour ago, dismason said:

If it hurts your knees, feet or back while ride your EUC, I have two very simple solutions to this problem.

This is good info. Thanks!

Maybe it’s that the KS18L pedals seems smaller as I have a US 13 size foot. Hopefully they make bigger pedals soon. 

I remember @houseofjob mentioning staggered riding stances somewhere. Could you shed more light on that

• Like 2

I would also add to the knee pain discussion that sometimes moving to a larger Wheel will cause you more knee stress because it is heavier and has more centrifugal force keeping it in one place. When I first started riding the V10 and then the KS18s before that, my knees would get a little pain just below the meniscus. Sometimes to the sides as well. It always goes away and so far that I have been riding the heavy weights regularly, my knees haven’t been sore.

I remember SpeedyFeet doing a video when he first started riding and mentioned the knee pain, and later mentioned it had gone away so it must have been muscle build up. Thats been my experience too. Sometimes on a long 5 hour ride my knees will feel a little sore at one point or another. Doing those shifting tactics mentioned by @houseofjob really helps out. I have run a few marathons and my knees will lock up right around 4 hours of runnng or 22 miles, whichever comes first, but that is definitely bad running style on my part.

If it happens after long rides or because you are on a heavier machine, that is normal. You will build up the muscle and as long as you dont over stress your knees a number of days in a row in the beginning, you will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

The idea of the staggered stance I previously mentioned is just one of many ways to get you to not stay stationary in one stance, which is what creates any kind of foot/leg pain in the first place. (I've actually moved on to a different, more versatile stance/technique that suits me better now)

The easiest way to implement this for EUC is to be constantly carving (constant leg-to-leg weight transfer). Remember, even going straight can be comprised of many small turns, ala skiing.

Staggered / Offset "Board" EUC Stance:

Marvellous summary @houseofjob Thank you. 

I ride a staggered stance similar to below. Slightly more angled due to big feet / small pedals. However find there is significant foot overhang. It’s amazing just how important pedal size can be. 

This mini carving on straights seem innovative. Will certainly try this today. 

@Stan Onymous you’re correct. Moving from 16’ to 18’ has its differences. I’ve tried knee straps and supports because the meniscus has been painful. 

I also noticed last night my tire pressure was too high. Thus riding was rougher. I’ve since reduced it and it’s much softer. It’s also important to note when sliming your wheels the tire pressure may not be accurate 100% as I believe slime takes some unaccounted psi amount. 

E0C430D4-6BE6-4F91-B28A-8EB2D47CA962.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siggy said:

I also noticed last night my tire pressure was too high. Thus riding was rougher. I’ve since reduced it and it’s much softer.

This was the reason for my slight knee pain also. For me the tire pressure on an EUC is a precise balancing act between knee pain, uncomfortable ride, mileage, smooth rolling, and tight turning on asphalt.

1 hour ago, Siggy said:

It’s also important to note when sliming your wheels the tire pressure may not be accurate 100% as I believe slime takes some unaccounted psi amount.

How do you figure that? It does take away a slight amount of air space in the tire, but it is just free flowing, non-pressurised liquid. Or do you mean that because of just that a Slimed tire will behave like a smaller tire, hence requiring more pressure for the same feel?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

For me the tire pressure on an EUC is a precise balancing act

I concur!

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

How do you figure that? 

This may be bro science. But having compared V8 and KS18L riding with pre slime and post slime. I’ve noticed differences in ride ability even when using the same psi. 

In my mind despite its free flowing nature slim still takes up some pressure space aka volume of tire. 

This was also tested after pumping slime around inner tube multiple times with the air valve off. 

41 minutes ago, Siggy said:

I’ve noticed differences in ride ability even when using the same psi.

I see, so it just basically acts like a smaller tire then, pressurewise? That does make sense, I just would’ve thought the difference to be too small to be notable. I didn’t notice it on my 16x2.5 and 18x3.0 tires.

Saying that the psi becomes ”unaccurate” or that the slime ”takes” psi, sounded a bit... less scientific to me. :P

Being new to EUC:s I have now been riding for 2 weeks. Pain in my left knee when riding.

The cause is my left foot has a bit of a collapsed arch making it want to roll inward. So a corrective soles or a more outward turned stance will probably fix this.

This is on a Ninebot E+ which has relatively flat pedals. My wife gets similar pain when riding on her electric longboard and that is also because of the way she places her rear foot on the board. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

makes sense Mike ! 

I feel that knee as well, but mainly the muscles that are activated , the following is for me the case : Vastus Medialis .. 

I think we activate quite a few micro muscles to balance, muscles that we are normally not activating through normal activities, core strength...

knee-muscles-and-tendons-anatomy-muscles-of-the-knee-cityesporaco-3.thumb.jpg.4d989cf9a4edbee0ffa3c66c5df63e43.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

makes sense Mike ! 

I feel that knee as well, but mainly the muscles that are activated , the following is for me the case : Vastus Medialis .. 

I think we activate quite a few micro muscles to balance, muscles that we are normally not activating through normal activities, core strength...

knee-muscles-and-tendons-anatomy-muscles-of-the-knee-cityesporaco-3.thumb.jpg.4d989cf9a4edbee0ffa3c66c5df63e43.jpg

The lovely teardrop muscle that we all want to develop. :)

The vastus muscles work together to extend the leg and also stabilize the knee. The vastus medialis works hardest at the last 15% of extension. So for instance if you were to train leg extensions on a machine with short range to extension then you would work the medialis harder. Since we are bending the knees a bit when riding EUC we are in that short extension range.

So now the question is... do we train less or do we train more? I would say train more and become stronger but also ride intelligently so that we don't ride too much or too long when our muscles are fatigued.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 12:56 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

Being new to EUC:s I have now been riding for 2 weeks. Pain in my left knee when riding.

The cause is my left foot has a bit of a collapsed arch making it want to roll inward. So a corrective soles or a more outward turned stance will probably fix this.

This is on a Ninebot E+ which has relatively flat pedals. My wife gets similar pain when riding on her electric longboard and that is also because of the way she places her rear foot on the board. 

thats the problem i had, but my arches are almost non existent... so it hurt a lot, now it doesnt hurt, but im left with a cracrkling sound in my knee that can turn into a problem if untreated, and my doctor just told me to loose 5kg... im not that overweight, should be possible, but still, there should be something else i could do? :blink1: