Starter wheel for female in NYC

Diana

You guys are hilarious. “Small Asian girl tried a Segway one time?” Your assumptions that I will be crossing the streets holding the EUC is exactly the right assessment. 

Oo, that’s a nice affordable electric scooter! Will consider it if I give up on the EUC.  I used to own a micro kick scooter that i loved, but my friends made fun of me ALL THE TIME. Sigh. Hence, the pivot to EUCs. 

And yep, i’ve looked into those solo brushes, but they didn’t get funded on kickstarter unfortunately. Only 22 funders. Womp womp. 

Will let you know how the V5f+ test drive goes or if I slink back to the world of escooters. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all! 

Just wanted to give you all an update! It's been really fun debating the merits of different starter wheels for a potential slowpoke like me.

I just went to check out Mark's V5f+ and he showed me how to ride it. What a great guy! Had soooo much fun, just had to buy it. Now I can't wait to zip around the city!! 

Again, I wanted to thank you all for your wonderful advice and let you know how much it helped me make my decision! 

~Diana

14 minutes ago, Diana Chiu said:

Hi all! 

Just wanted to give you all an update! It's been really fun debating the merits of different starter wheels for a potential slowpoke like me.

I just went to check out Mark's V5f+ and he showed me how to ride it. What a great guy! Had soooo much fun, just had to buy it. Now I can't wait to zip around the city!! 

Again, I wanted to thank you all for your wonderful advice and let you know how much it helped me make my decision! 

~Diana

Good call. Welcome to the club.

3 Essentials:

1) Invest in a good track pump if you don't already have one - you want 45psi when learning and you should up that by 10 once you're experienced. Tire pressure makes a HUGE difference

2)Get experienced with the inmotion app - you can control things like the pedal tilt which again, affects your riding experience greatly.

3)WRIST PADS/guards. I consider them more important than a helmet. I don't even use a helmet. If you fall, your hands and wrists will be ground-zero. Guaranteed. 'Triple 8 Hired Hands' are great.

4) When charging your v5f+ the charger will change from red to green to indicate it's finished. IT HASN'T. Wait until the indicator on the actual wheel shows it's full. Otherwise you're cheating yourself out of a few % of battery.

Have fun ?

2 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

3)WRIST PADS/guards. I consider them more important than a helmet. I don't even use a helmet. If you fall, your hands and wrists will be ground-zero. Guaranteed. Triple 8 Hired Hands are great.

I use to support that theory ( not the helmet part) until I found out that the wrist bone is connected to the elbow bone and the elbow bone is connected to the shoulder bone.;)

12 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I use to support that theory ( not the helmet part) until I found out that the wrist bone is connected to the elbow bone and the elbow bone is connected to the shoulder bone.;)

all the more reason.......some excellent wrist pads with shock protection is what's called for here.

I'm no cyclist (or doctor) but I think the main reason why elbow and shoulder injuries are so prevalent among cyclists is because in almost all situations their hands are still on the handlebars when they hit the deck. On an euc, the slower speed combined with (presumably) free hands means that's the area that takes the abuse. Admittedly I've never actually had a high-speed fall.

Plenty of low speed ones lol.

Everyone falls differently, based on reaction time, body physics, body weight, riding tendencies / behavior.

Personally, I know I will always fall primarily on both hands/wrists, with a little bit of right elbow, and a very little bit of right knee (I'm a righty in general). I've never hit my head * knock on wood*.

All of my falls have been carbon copies of the above, so I pad up just those areas. And never have I been able to stuntman roll, as the falls happen too quickly for me I guess.

But I also know others who will hit their heads and fall backwards. Those type of riders most definitely should ride with a helmet.

Calculated risk is the best I think. That and good habits, like not flooring it in poor visibility situations.

Great!  Good luck and happy wheeling.  I hope you really enjoy it and turn on some of your friends to your new hobby.

Get some wrist guards and a helmet.  Too easy to take tumble.  Better safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, Diana Chiu said:

Hi all! 

~Diana

Congrats Diana, very happy for you!

If you have early struggles, consider moving your feet further forward on the pedals. I had some early frustrations because I thought my heels were supposed to be hanging far off the pedals. Turns out for me and my wheel that having my heels almost entirely on the pedals was the right move. Having your feet further forward also helps balance the wheel against your leg with stability, while practicing mounting the wheel.

Very happy for you. I should have known with your roller blading experience you'd be just fine!

I started doing full court sprint training on a basketball court last summer.

While I learn to ride my wheel, I'm trying to ingrain it into my head to sprint off the wheel at full speed in the event of a fall. If you can train your reflexes and quick twitch muscles to rapid fire without warning, I bet we EUC riders can minimize the damage of a lot of falls. 

Especially at my speeds of 15-18 mph.

Even if you fall eventually, getting 1-3 running steps after a fall has Got to slow you down and ease the fall.

You could even practice running off your wheel while riding on the grass at slowish speeds so your wheel won't get damaged.

Maybe I'll make a video in a month or two when the snow melts :(

18 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

Protection, protection, protection.... lol...

It's funny how similar these wheels are to sex.  It's awkward to learn at first; the more you practice the better you get; you better wear protection if you know what's good for you; group rides can be more fun (or so I hear :innocent1:); it's very addicting once you get the hang of it :w00t2:; and some people (Wheeltharios) always have that urge to switch between different wheels.  (Looking at you @Marty Backe).  :whistling: 

40 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's funny how similar these wheels are to sex.  It's awkward to learn at first; the more you practice the better you get; you better wear protection if you know what's good for you; group rides can be more fun (or so I hear :innocent1:); it's very addicting once you get the hang of it :w00t2:; and some people (Wheeltharios) always have that urge to switch between different wheels.  (Looking at you @Marty Backe).  :whistling: 

good one :D 

do we need "euc ed" too now or what? :D 

36 minutes ago, Smoother said:

We already do, it's called the @Rehab1 accident thread.  It even has nipples on it, but purely for educational purposes, of course. :rolleyes:

May your new novazeus avatar beard get stuck in your wheel.:P

Please do not learn to ride too fast...meaning in a day or so...It will make me look bad. ;)

Now I have to step up my training :clap3:Now I have go down in basement to make another 10 min after (session 3 video) tomorrow....still snow outside here-_-

Joke aside. Happy learning and I suggest get a good Helmet. It is very hard to replace a dammaged head. Knees are duable...

About the helmet, I really like my TSG Status Solid Cyan helmet, with red led lamp in the read/neck. ( you can find why in the helmet tread).

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

Please do not learn to ride too fast...meaning in a day or so...It will make me look bad. ;)

But seriously, if you can get one or two of our locals to spend some time... It is MUCH easier to learn with guidance and feedback in real time.

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

no wonder my rides always finish prematurely....

Archived