Starter wheel for female in NYC

Diana

13 hours ago, steve454 said:

most people on the forum don't have a high opinion of two wheel euc's, saying that they don't handle side slopes well, but how often does that happen? 

Terrible idea.They don’t handle any sort of bumpy surface well, not just slopes and are thoroughly unpleasant on anything but flat surfaces.

13 hours ago, steve454 said:

Plus, you can keep the wheel vertical by riding on the uphill tire.  

If you have got good enough that you can ride on just the uphill tire of a twin wheel, you can and should be riding a single wheel - what would be the point of a twin wheel in that situation.

most people who start with a twin wheel and don’t get bored enough to give up altogether have wanted a single wheel within weeks.

In 14” I’ve always liked the Inmotion V5F (Solowheel Glide 2) it is odd that several people suggest the KS-14 but Inmotion 16” wheels.

@Jason McNeil has an excellent comparison of 14” wheels on his website here:https://www.ewheels.com/comparing-segway-ninebot-s1-inmotion-v5f-feature-review/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, houseofjob said:

The i5 would be the better of the 2 (bigger 14" wheel), but really a wheel meant for perfect pavement, and for more learned wheel riders that can negotiate the overpower cutout potential on minor bumps, etc.

I've never heard of anyone cutting out on the IPS i5 before. It doesn't even seem to notice inclines and performs magnificently for a motor rated at 350W.

Ride quality is definitely a valid point though.

2 hours ago, EternalEnigma said:

I've never heard of anyone cutting out on the IPS i5 before.

I got dumped on a sidewalk ramp down on mine, full battery etc. And mind you, I’m not a newbie; 3 years riding NYC every day; 12 wheels owned, all different makes, shapes and sizes.

Hill-type Inclines are not the problem for these low power EUCs, it’s bumps and cracks that equate to instantaneous > 30 degree inclines, due to the wheel’s underpowering, dimension and physics, that create instant overpower situations leading to brief cutouts (mind you, often times the gyro will instantly repower; cutouts don’t necessarily mean faceplants)

Most riders here on the forums ride in nicely paved suburbs, etc, but NYC streets are the exact opposite.

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Most riders here on the forums ride in nicely paved suburbs, etc,

Most riders. What can I say? ;)

My roads (typical English town) sound like New York streets, loads of irregularities.  Momentary high power demands are very common.  I would not ride a weak wheel, or a wheel with a tiny battery pack, or a wheel with a low battery pack, or any combination of the above, on irregular surfaces.

What amazing replies! Can't tell you how much I appreciate you guys coming along this fun journey with me. And now I already want two EUCs right off the bat. =))

Here's a mini update on what i'm considering. Ideally, I'd want want to decide by the end of the week and can't wait to start riding (...er, learning to ride)!

IPS i5 ($650)-

• Pros- 1) The portability of this EUC is just SO SO attractive. I feel like I would find addl excuses to just leave my apt and go down a couple blocks. Being from socal, I kinda hate walking, so I don't really live in the right city. But the i5 being 10lbs lighter really means I can just run out the door. 
  • Cons: 1) Stability/uncomfortable ride-- Realistically, will my jaw be rattling while I ride on crappy NYC sidewalks? I'm already quite scared of going through sidewalk cracks when rollerblading, so I feel like I might be riding quite timidly for a while or not at all, which defeats the 'last mile' benefit of this.  2) Did they figure out that long-winded beeping? Ian's review was wonderful, but dang, that beeping is just nuts.  3) Angled pedals-- potential discomfort for my feet may outweigh the benefits of having higher clearance. 

vs Traditional starter wheels (couple secondhand offers coming in)

• $600 V5f+ -- Mark's V5f+ looks beautiful! Would the V5f+ be more comfortable or have smoother handling than a KS14D? 
  • $640 KS14D- Seems like the steady eddy. Absorbs sidewalk cracks better than V8, according the The Topher's videos? 
  • $900 KS16B- it's white. =( Yes, color is impt. 
  • (unknown price) V8-possible local sale, but would be in mid-April since person is waiting for the V10 =((((( . GAH, the wait. And too much functionality that I won't actually need?In the past, I have always bought more device than I need. (I have a tennis ball machine and 350 tennis balls sitting in NJ that weigh heavily on my psyche :lol:)

I think after reading all your advice, my key deciding factors are: 

1. Safety- I have watched all the fall/ injury videos you guys have posted. And i'm terrified. There are too many other ways to get hurt/die in NYC. My amazon cart is currently well stocked with knee pad options and helmets.

2. Ease of use--- the tricky bit is whether to define that by portability or a comfortable ride (hence this i5 vs everything else debate).

•                    Portability- I have to figure out whether 27lbs is cumbersome for me. 
  •                    Comfortable ride-- It's so hard to differentiate between the KS14D, V5f+, and the V8 sometimes. What is most optimal for smooth handling in a city-setting? Still seems like a bit of a toss up.

Features that I have not weighed/have slight questions on:

• Anti-spin function--Why is this important? Won't we all come to a stop before picking up the EUC? 
  • Trolleys- Scorpion tails vs the luggage-like handle on the KSs. What's actually easier? Some people seem to like scorpion tails, but they seem kinda weaker to me.
  • Battery- eh, I figure I'm not going farther than 12miles... a realistic 80% charge of whichever battery should get me there, no?

In my head, when I'm optimistic, I imagine that I can learn how to ride in an hr and be super confident brushing off sidewalk cracks on the IPS i5. I figure, being in the city, I will need an IPS i5 at one point--either to start or as a second wheel (heh heh heh) just because it is so unbelievably light. On the other hand, I may never get on it, because I will just be looking for the next deadly sidewalk crack!

22 minutes ago, Diana Chiu said:

What amazing replies! Can't tell you how much I appreciate you guys coming along this fun journey with me. And now I already want two EUCs right off the bat. =))

Here's a mini update on what i'm considering. Ideally, I'd want want to decide by the end of the week and can't wait to start riding (...er, learning to ride)!

IPS i5 ($650)-

• Pros- 1) The portability of this EUC is just SO SO attractive. I feel like I would find addl excuses to just leave my apt and go down a couple blocks. Being from socal, I kinda hate walking, so I don't really live in the right city. But the i5 being 10lbs lighter really means I can just run out the door. 
  • Cons: 1) Stability/uncomfortable ride-- Realistically, will my jaw be rattling while I ride on crappy NYC sidewalks? I'm already quite scared of going through sidewalk cracks when rollerblading, so I feel like I might be riding quite timidly for a while or not at all, which defeats the 'last mile' benefit of this.  2) Did they figure out that long-winded beeping? Ian's review was wonderful, but dang, that beeping is just nuts.  3) Angled pedals-- potential discomfort for my feet may outweigh the benefits of having higher clearance. 

• $600 V5f+ -- Mark's V5f+ looks beautiful! Would the V5f+ be more comfortable or have smoother handling than a KS14D? 
  • $640 KS14D- Seems like the steady eddy. Absorbs sidewalk cracks better than V8, according the The Topher's videos? 
  • (unknown price) V8-possible local sale, but would be in mid-April since person is waiting for the V10 =((((( . GAH, the wait. And too much functionality that I won't actually need?In the past, I have always bought more device than I need. (I have a tennis ball machine and 350 tennis balls sitting in NJ that weigh heavily on my psyche :lol:)

1. Safety- I have watched all the fall/ injury videos you guys have posted. And i'm terrified. There are too many other ways to get hurt/die in NYC. My amazon cart is currently well stocked with knee pad options and helmets.

2. Ease of use--- the tricky bit is whether to define that by portability or a comfortable ride (hence this i5 vs everything else debate).

•                    Portability- I have to figure out whether 27lbs is cumbersome for me. 
  •                    Comfortable ride-- It's so hard to differentiate between the KS14D, V5f+, and the V8 sometimes. What is most optimal for smooth handling in a city-setting? Still seems like a bit of a toss up.

• Anti-spin function--Why is this important? Won't we all come to a stop before picking up the EUC? 
  • Trolleys- Scorpion tails vs the luggage-like handle on the KSs. What's actually easier? Some people seem to like scorpion tails, but they seem kinda weaker to me.
  • Battery- eh, I figure I'm not going farther than 12miles... a realistic 80% charge of whichever battery should get me there, no?

In my head, when I'm optimistic, I imagine that I can learn how to ride in an hr and be super confident brushing off sidewalk cracks on the IPS i5. I figure, being in the city, I will need an IPS i5 at one point--either to start or as a second wheel (heh heh heh) just because it is so unbelievably light. On the other hand, I may never get on it, because I will just be looking for the next deadly sidewalk crack!

One thing you need to take into account is longevity. If you are even 20% sure (and you seem higher than 20%) that you're going to get 'into' this little hobby of ours, you'll end up out-growing (both in terms of speed and range) a cheaper budget wheel like the i5. Get a great wheel to start with, and it'll work out cheaper because you won't be buying a 2nd wheel anytime soon.  - which is what happens A LOT around here when a newbie gets the 'bug' and suddenly their cheapy wheel isn't good enough anymore. Happened to me.

Secondly, you're going to be lifting your wheel a lot (steps, stairs, curbs etc) in NY. As I'm sure you know, these things spin like crazy if you pick them up - I'd go for the v5f+ because it has a trigger under the motor that cuts of the power when lifting the wheel. People with larger wheels don't need this because many will never lift them. But a small wheel in a city? You're going to be lifting it up ALL THE TIME. Make sure as well, if you do go for a v5f+, you get the handle (shown below). Also crucial for 'walking' it.

the ips i5 is portable and light yes. but after a little time. you will be wanting an upgrade after watching old ladies on bikes drive past you...

i tried this... and for you i think you need something a little more than the ultra thin low power, small battery, few miles euc

kingsong is way to go imo

AHAHAHA- love it Shad. But I am secretly an old lady living inside a 30yr old's body. I actually have no desire or intention to beat a bike. My goal is to live!!

5 minutes ago, Diana Chiu said:

AHAHAHA- love it Shad. But I am secretly an old lady living inside a 30yr old's body. I actually have no desire or intention to beat a bike. My goal is to live!!

Take a cab.

Seriously.  If you really are "an old lady living inside a 30yr old's body" this is not for you.  You WILL be forever worrying about the next potential danger/ sidewalk crack. You won't enjoy it.  ANd you haven't even mentioned the throngs of wandering nim nods (pedestrians) who's only goal it seems, is to stare determinedly at their phones, and change direction suddenly and randomly to try and make you crash, and the famous New York traffic (I once saw a yellow cab make a high-speed right turn from three lanes to the left). Save your money; based on what you have said about yourself, this is not for you.

17 minutes ago, Diana Chiu said:

i dont mean it like that... i mean that kind of speed and range from a i5 is unberable i see the range is 12 miles.. but in reality you will be getting something like 8miles...

i mean i had a segway mini pro that could go 15 miles on a charge... really only about 10 only half of them were "effective miles"  because of the slowdown with lower battery so about 5 miles effectively

and on the i5... well 4 miles effectively at a reasonable speed... sounds good? it did to me too. but as i found out i go a lot more miles than i ever thougt. now i own a 60km on charge wheel...

and by reasonable speed i mean "barely" after youre under 50% youre going to be snaling home from the train...

the ks14 is the specs youre looking for but you want the slim body of the i5. im sorry but the i5 is not your best bet... you will love it!. but you will be begging for a range. 

sorry for ranting. but i never rant unless it makes sense.. and i dont want to see you dissapointed :wacko:

and then there is always the gotway luffy. very portable and high power and range. this would actually be my top pic for you

and the luffy is also half the price of every other wheel you have on your list 

55 minutes ago, Diana Chiu said:

My standard advice to anybody who wants to start in this suicide quest hobby is to get a starter wheel (the i5 should be fine for that). Learn on it, (watch it get scratched up) then after few months (for some it is quick for other it takes longer) and then get a better wheel. Until you ride one it is very difficult to imagine what it takes to learn to be a confident rider.

I started with a cheap TG wheel, then got a MCM4 (a nice wheel for my commute, it would suite you too) and now I have a Tesla.

I totally disagree with people who say to get an expensive first wheel. Look at it as getting a car for learning, would you start with a Ferrari as your first car to learn or would you get a beat up Corolla?

$640 for a used 14D seems the perfect offer. I'd advocate for a new 14D as well, still the best option imho - unless you go for the 14S which is essentially the same, just with a bigger battery, which is always preferrable (to me).

i5 is nice, but it's not a "normal" wheel like the others, but a specialty thing that you get if you value light weight before speed (it's slow) and riding comfort/stability.
(That beeping in the Speedyfeet video can be ignored, it was overcharge beeping, battery was full and he was charging it more by going down a hill, every wheel will beep then.)

I'd also prefer the 14D over the V5F, it's just a newer, stronger (=safer), better wheel (that retractable handle alone makes a huge difference practical use).

But you have a lot of options, so don't rush, and always a good tip is "trust your instincts" - if you feel like a certain model is the right one for you (maybe you somehow felt that even right from the start), get that.

@Diana Chiu ugh, this thread is going in circles.

If you want, just PM me, I can try to arrange (through local NYC rider friends) a comparison of most of these wheels for your edification.

Seeing is believing, which is why I cycle through EUCs as much as I do for the comparative experience.

2 hours ago, Diana Chiu said:

IPS i5 ($650)-

I own both the Kingsong 14d and the v5f+, I would say hands down the v5f+ is a better wheel especially if you weigh under 150lbs. Everything about the v5f+ is better, from build quality, ride quality even the app is better. The 14d’s pads will hurt your shins like you can’t believe, the v5f’s pads on the other hand are quite a bit higher which equals 0 pain. If you get the v5f you will not be disappointed. Just my 2 cents :)

I offer their following:

find a friend with a wheel and get them to teach you how to ride.  No friend?  Make one (you have a good start here!).  Still no luck?  See if you can rent one.  Probably a long shot but call the Segway tour folks in Philly and ask them.  

Getting on one before committing your dollars is priceless.

Consider ‘buy in’ - saving a few hundred dollars might seem obvious today but as a few folks have said and I experienced, once you tame the slo-poke wheel you will want a little extra power to stay safe on the streets of nyc.  The difference between $700 and $1000 is not that big of a gap to cover considering what you get for a few extra dollars.

or do what I did - amazon the $299 Segway/ninebot S1.  Fine wheel with pick up shut off, decent range at your weight, and lowest cost.  And when you beat the fire out of it learning you won’t feel as bad!

good luck and welcome!

2 hours ago, NECway said:

My standard advice to anybody who wants to start in this suicide quest hobby is to get a starter wheel (the i5 should be fine for that). Learn on it, (watch it get scratched up) then after few months (for some it is quick for other it takes longer) and then get a better wheel. Until you ride one it is very difficult to imagine what it takes to learn to be a confident rider

or... you could just wrap your expensive wheel in foam

5 hours ago, Diana Chiu said:

People will ignore these key, all-important realities of your situation and STILL suggest you buy an MSuper V3XPlus-XTreme with the new 2000 watt Tesla motor, because SURELY you'll get bored flying around Manhattan streets at a mere 30 mph. And SURELY it's not too heavy because THEY can carry it. And if you crash at 37 miles per hour, then SURELY you'll continue to be an EUC enthusiast because THEY survived such a crash. 

Small Asian girl tried a Segway one time?

'Oh there's no doubt you're gonna be an EUC adrenaline junky for life!' 

man-traffic-crazy-trick-1150181.gif 

This is a product to keep an eye on, they're running a Kickstarter campaign for it so it's not actually available yet as far as I know.

Solowheel now owns the V5 that others above have recommended to you, so it would undoubtedly fit that wheel. The only problem is you'd be picking up the NYC sidewalks and bringing them into your apartment with the wheel

https://newatlas.com/solowheel-brush/53410/

13 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

People will ignore these key, all-important realities of your situation and STILL suggest you buy an MSuper V3XPlus-XTreme with the new 2000 watt Tesla motor, because SURELY you'll get bored flying around Manhattan streets at a mere 30 mph. And SURELY it's not too heavy because THEY can carry it. And if you crash at 37 miles per hour, then SURELY you'll continue to be an EUC enthusiast because THEY survived such a crash. 

Small Asian girl tried a Segway one time?

'Oh there's no doubt you're gonna be an EUC adrenaline junky for life!' 

man-traffic-crazy-trick-1150181.gif 

not exactly what i meant...

i just think you atleast need a wheel sufficient enough to get you out of well. such situations as you photo. a i5 cutting out when youre trying to emergency accelerate and get away wont help.

i think a euc that could go 20 mph is the sweetspot

(not for me of course :w00t2:)

14 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

not exactly what i meant...

i just think you atleast need a wheel sufficient enough to get you out of well. such situations as you photo. a i5 cutting out when youre trying to emergency accelerate and get away wont help.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure she just wants a fun little toy to tool around Central Park and maybe hit the West Side bike path. I don't see her even crossing intersections on her wheel. I usually carry my wheel across the street, and I live in a 3 stop light town.

I'm guessing a Segway Minipro or Swagtron or electric scooter would have as good or better chance of getting used by her regularly than even a KS14D

I guess she should just meet up with the other EUC people in NYC/Central Park and try out a wheel or two and see if she even embraces the concept.

If your riding tests on a couple EUCs don't go well, consider something like this:

Inmotion L6 Electric Kick Scooter

$775 $675

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-inmotion-l6-kickscooter/

4) What is the realistic cruising speed & range?
Maximum speed is set to 15.5mph. Range is largely dependent on the Rider’s weight & the terrain. For example, if a 175lbs individual is riding on a smooth paved surface, then the L6 should be able to achieve about 25-30 miles.

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

The only problem is you'd be picking up the NYC sidewalks and bringing them into your apartment with the wheel

And NYC will gladly pay you handsomely for your efforts.;)

Archived