New member - Hi there

MvM

Hi everyone.
Just found this forum through the Solowheel User group on Facebook (don't like Facebook very much).

I have been a user of a 1500 Watt Solowheel since early June last year and have been using it almost daily.

First reason to get a EU was to avoid the daily parking fees that I have to pay at work. A few km further at the edge of town, parking is free (if you get there early enough :) ), but I wanted something that was easy to transport by car and could get me to work (much) faster than mere walking.
Looked at several types of folding bikes, but these can be quite a hassle if you have to put them in & out your car two times aday. Neither are they particularly small, light or easy to stow away. So, when I found an EU in the internet I looked further and since there turned out to be a Solowheel importer nearby (www.rood-runner.nl), after a week of thinking about it, I decided to try it.

Since then, I have travelled about 2000 km on my Solowheel and it has been lots of fun. I've driven it in all types of weather including some snow, storm and heavy rain and it always performed reliably. Besides commuting, I use it when doing my daily shopping, just ride around town with it for fun (and you all know how much fun a EU can be), visit people or family with it.

Hi Arbee,

Thanks for your welcome.

Yes, there is a discussion going on about the legality of the EU in the Netherlands. I know someone in my town (Rotterdam) who got fined for riding his Solowheel because he was 'non insured'.

Very strictly speaking any motorised vehicle should have an Insurance, with ebikes as only exceptions.

As for shopping, yes, I just drive to the supermarket as well as INSIDE the supermarket. Since the EU is very unknown yet, a lot of shops don't make trouble, as long as it is not too busy and if you are being careful.

I get remarks about it often (especially from children), but these are basically always positive (like COOL!!).

No, I do not have Insurance. Since the EU is not recognised as an official powered vehicle, you cannot get an Insurance for it.

I know the importer of the Solowheel is going to use the trial for the fine as a way to get official approval for the Solowheel.

If it could be excempted from Insurance like the e-bike, then you could ride it without it.

Unfortunately, in Belgium the Solowheel was recently declared forbidded on the public streets. So I am a little anxious that the same might happen here :-(

Hmm.  There is a user in our Facebook group who said in the Netherlands you need an "ensuranceplate" and he has it on his Rockwheel 16.  He said he paid 14 euros for it because he knows someone who got fined 550 euros because that person didn't have the "ensuranceplate" which is supposedly proof of insurance.

Hmm.  There is a user in our Facebook group who said in the Netherlands you need an "ensuranceplate" and he has it on his Rockwheel 16.  He said he paid 14 euros for it because he knows someone who got fined 550 euros because that person didn't have the "ensuranceplate" which is supposedly proof of insurance.

Hmm, I don't know anyone with a Rockwheel, so I don't know who that is.

As far as I know, since an EU is not a approved vehicle, you cannot officially get an Insurance for it (other than theft, which is something different).

Hmm, I don't know anyone with a Rockwheel, so I don't know who that is.

As far as I know, since an EU is not a approved vehicle, you cannot officially get an Insurance for it (other than theft, which is something different).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/762253947205904/

That's the direct link to the Facebook thread where he shows photos of his "insurance license plate" mounted on his Rockwheel and where he talks about it in the comments if you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/762253947205904/

That's the direct link to the Facebook thread where he shows photos of his "insurance license plate" mounted on his Rockwheel and where he talks about it in the comments if you're interested.

Link doesn't work without a Facebook account.

How ever for Switzerland it is for the moment and for the future clear that:

You can not geht a lincense plate for it!

Because you need for this at the EU a:

-Seat

-Steering bar

-Pedals where you can manually drive the vehicle!

But this all depense how you like to imatriculate the vehicle.

The only way it will go is like a bike with motor (special category) until 20km/h and a max. motor power of 0.5kW.

But this will not go right now, because you need 2 breaks! Ha ha

The change the law by middle of this year and then we will see.

BUT one is clear right now already: Only until 20km/h (technical the EU are not to drive faster then 20km/h)

AND

It is now allowed to sell the EU here! Or you have to let the motor and the electric test and certificate (pretty expensive).

(By law it is not allowed to sell them here without the certificate AND any Chinese certificate will not be enough!!!)

BUT, you can import it for yourself (your ARE allowed to use it without a certificate BUT your are NOT allowed to sell it OR to give it away for free (within Switzerland)!!!)

So: If you import it by yourself and the EU drives a max. of 20km/h you will be able .....in the future

Archived