Big Foot Pedals by Smoother

Smoother

13 hours ago, Smoother said:

WTF! Why am I holding a hot amputee!??

LOL! She is suppose to be kneeling in your hand but photoshop has a mibd of it’s own.

13 hours ago, Smoother said:

edit.  On second thoughts I didn't like that image; it all goes to grey when shrunk that small.  I went with this one instead:

keep-on-trucking.jpg

Not bad. Looks like novazeus. 

The biggest reason I bought a KS16s was hoping the bigger pedals would reduce the foot pain that starts setting in after a few miles.  But, it didn't seem to help much versus the KS14C.

But, I don't experience wobbles or feel like I don't have full control of the wheel.  Just the aching foot pain.

Do the larger pedals help with this?

59 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

The biggest reason I bought a KS16s was hoping the bigger pedals would reduce the foot pain that starts setting in after a few miles.  But, it didn't seem to help much versus the KS14C.

But, I don't experience wobbles or feel like I don't have full control of the wheel.  Just the aching foot pain.

Do the larger pedals help with this?

Dave, how many miles do you have on your back?

I ask because speed wobbles and/or foot pain are a common thing for beginners....and with beginners i mean an experience not that long. Can you drive all time without even touching the sidepads? 

Main point is that as experienced rider you are able to move your foot to totally other positions WHILE driving....so with this ability you then will not experience foot pain anymore.

Sure bigger pedals might help, but for me the main point is to give pressure on the front of pedals with this mod.

As long as you are not able to move your feet while driving, even big pedals will probably not help that much with foot pain.

Its just that in the „exact same position“ our feet begin to sleep...so key is to move them once in a while.

Yes, I've been hoping the foot pain goes away with time.  It's not as bad, but it's still not fun riding more than three or four miles without getting off for a bit.

I have somewhere between 1000 and 2000 km.  

Not sure what you're asking about the sidedpad.  Yes, I can position the wheel between my legs so my calves don't touch the padding.  But, I usually don't

Yes, I can move my feet and often do.  More of sliding motion on the pedal rather than picking up one foot entirely off the pad.

That helps, but still they eventually hurt so much I have to get off the wheel.

I'm a heavy guy with small feet, so that may be part of the problem.  210 pounds on size 9 feet.   (But, the pedals are still smaller than my feet)

Also, I usually ride after first doing a 5.5 mile hike with the dogs.  But, the hikes never bother my feet at all.

It's not like they are "going to sleep".  I think of that as the tingling sensation you get after being a position that cuts off blood flow.  I don't think it's due to lack of blood flow to the feet.

It's more of an aching sensation.  Very similar to what I would experience using ice skates when I was a kid playing hockey on the local frozen ponds.

2 hours ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Yes, I can move my feet and often do.  More of sliding motion on the pedal rather than picking up one foot entirely off the pad.

I was only asking as this is -from my experience- the key to not hurting feets!

With 1000-2000km you can be called a very experienced rider, so thats probably not the reason, then....

2 hours ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

usually ride after first doing a 5.5 mile hike with the dogs.  But, the hikes never bother my feet at all.

Ha, i am doing that also a lot...my dog loves my EUCs! And its the most fun ever to go ride woth the dog :-)

So nope, than i have no idea anymore to make your situation better, sorry, that was just mentioning some ideas, to have your feet moving more....

I struggled quite some time with the question why basically all wheels have too short pedals. Older models have so short pedals to not even be long enough for rather small sized feet, as you would expect in the Chinese population. It turns out there is another reason in favor of short pedals though:

They limit the maximum moment the rider can apply and hence the motor has to be able counteract. In other words: mounting longer pedals risks that a heavy rider can push with more moment than the wheel can supply and hence just pushes through to the ground and face plants. A particular problem is that the moment the motor can supply decreases with increasing speed. With short pedals the rider notices when all the weight of the feet gets close to the front edge of the pedals. At this point it becomes impossible to push further without falling over the pedal edge against which we have a natural reflex. With "too" long pedals one can push further and may run out of motor power without any warning sign, and this may happen in particular at the highest speed. Not good.

• 3 weeks later...

Mono, while reading this thread I thought I should warn about exactly that. It is definitely something us bigtenderfooters must take in consideration.

For me my bigfoot pedals were the key issue in making foot pain tolerable. Especially with soft soled shoes the small pedals hurt a lot. Once I got myself hard soled motorcycling boots and bigfoot pedals, my continuous trips went from 10 to 35km. For me it’s not beginner’s pains, it’s the loose joints and connective tissue of my feet.

Version 2 will be a bit wider though.

29 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Get smaller feet...

How could you read my thoughts? ?

i can ride just fine with normal pedals but question is... Will it be much better with begger pedals.. And is it worth sacrificing the good look of standard pedals ?

On 4/2/2018 at 11:56 PM, Mono said:

I struggled quite some time with the question why basically all wheels have too short pedals. Older models have so short pedals to not even be long enough for rather small sized feet, as you would expect in the Chinese population. It turns out there is another reason in favor of short pedals though:

They limit the maximum moment the rider can apply and hence the motor has to be able counteract. In other words: mounting longer pedals risks that a heavy rider can push with more moment than the wheel can supply and hence just pushes through to the ground and face plants. A particular problem is that the moment the motor can supply decreases with increasing speed. With short pedals the rider notices when all the weight of the feet gets close to the front edge of the pedals. At this point it becomes impossible to push further without falling over the pedal edge against which we have a natural reflex. With "too" long pedals one can push further and may run out of motor power without any warning sign, and this may happen in particular at the highest speed. Not good.

@Smoother- how is your real life experience regarding this thoughts?

Also the metal edges look quite dangerous - you found some "security" solutions or did you have no issues with them?

I have been riding 26 cm long pedals on an ACM and a MONSTER for over 18000 km. Never had a problem pushing to hard. My riding weight is 75 kg.

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2018 at 10:16 AM, Chriull said:

@Smoother- how is your real life experience regarding this thoughts?

Also the metal edges look quite dangerous - you found some "security" solutions or did you have no issues with them?

Regarding too much pressure on the extremes of the pedals: No problems at all.  It's still not easy, from a normal foot position, to apply huge amounts of pressure to the very front, or back of the pedal.  If you look at my photos with shoes and boots on the pedals, you see that there is a significant upwards roll to the footwear.  Even if you wear flat shoes, your toes will flex upwards and not transfer all the forward lean into downward force. In order to apply pressure with the very front of your toes you would have to be leaning seriously forwards.The kind of lean that comes from your wheel being momentarily stuck in a pot hole, for instance.  At times like this, this is exactly what you want; a fighting chance that you will power the wheel back under your CG before your face hits the deck anyway.

Having literally rolled off the front of stock pedals trying to climb a 21 deg. hill ( a hill that the motor was will to climb) I'd take this option every time.

I've ridden hundreds of miles with these Big Foot pedals; flat, steep, smooth, rough, paved, grass, gravel, etc and have no negative incidents to report.  They are as easy to use as falling off a log.  I can't imaging going back to teeny weeny factory pedals.

@Mono's theory was interesting, but it was just that; a theory.

One negative regarding the rough edge; I caught my ankle during an awkward dismount wearing short socks.  Grazed the skin a bit.  Long socks would have prevented it.

I am 100% happy with the mod..

• 5 months later...

It's funny that many riders  are getting so excited about large factory pedals now (Dec 2018) even though I have clearly expressed all the advantages here, and @mrelwood el al, months or even years before me too.  Maybe it took official factory pedals for people to be willing to take the plunge, even though many of those "plungers" expressed no issues with tiny factory pedals. :whistling:

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Well, it would be immodest of me to comment on that.  By the way, here is a photo of a recent group ride I participated in:

BeardedmenVancouver1859-60-19thC.jpg

Is that you are the far right?

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

He is on the far left. ;)

32764437258_f665c74ec3_b.jpg

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:  I was wondering where you were going with that comment, until I scrolled down.  Excellent work. I'd use that as my icon except it would be too small to see.

Archived