Big Foot Pedals by Smoother

Smoother

I have a confession to make: I haven't been loving my King Song 16s as much as others seem to love theirs.  My problem is occasional wobbles, which scare me enough at speed to keep my speeds unnaturally low.  @Marty Backe told me it was just me and I should shut up and go away (my words, not his:D).  A part of my problem, I believed was the general shortness of pedals; fine for size 7 Chinese feet but for western male adult feet, not so good.

So I resolved, over a year ago in Spain, that when I got back to the UK I would make some pedal extensions as others have done.  Well, over a year later, and one new wheel too, I've FINALLY done it.

For years I have been carting around a sheet of 6.5mm aluminum diamond plate, and it was my intention to use it.

Here it is, with two shoe shaped bites out of it:

40955920131_793664021f_b.jpg

This stuff took forever to cut with an electric jig saw. It's aluminum on steroids.

Here is one in place.  I later decided to go with grip tape as the diamond pattern was actually making it slicker due to reduced contact area:

40247304254_5930c19b78_b.jpg

The flat side was quite dirty and a bit corroded.  Here is one half cleaned up with a wire wheel:

27085061008_dce1488a7e_b.jpg

Both in place before cleaning:

40914063402_9c244b2718_b.jpg

I ordered an assortment of flat head m4 bolts as I didn't know which length I would need: m4x10,m4x12, m4x16.  I decided to leave the stock plastic pads in place so I used the m4x16.  If I had replaced the plastic I think the m4x12s would have worked.

A test ride two nights ago, with just one Big Foot installed (meaning my left legs was raised up 7mm higher than my right, confirmed that I was onto something.  Despite the imbalance, I was shooting around (in the dark) at speed I rarely reach (15 to 19 mph).  The 16s quits around 21.7mph; how much "around" 21.7 I wasn't prepared to find out.  I experienced no wobbles and felt comfortable.  The grip tape hadn't arrived yet but the grip on the bare aluminum (dry) was just fine.  I ordered some skateboard tape from Amazon and it arrived this afternoon.  here is the finished look; notice the tiny factory pedal peeking out from underneath:

40062391925_a8acfbc674_b.jpg

Here it is with my size 11 work boot on it:

39146680270_c2d9fe4f41_b.jpg

And from underneath, showing the factory toy pedal:

40247244804_635c6bea73_b.jpg

Here it is folded up.  There is no interference with the shell, or the pedal hanger:

26083451677_e7ea2d22c2_b.jpg

I wanted to grind off the diamond pattern to make it look more professional, but this ali is hard as hell.  I ground on it with a bench grinder for a good while but the biggest thing to change was my hearing; damn this shiznit is loud on a grinder.

Here is a more normal sized 10 1/2 shoe (44) (before the grip tape went on)

40955839431_a2ee8188c7_b.jpg

I must say, I really love my new luxurious Big Foot pedals.  The increased sense of control is amazing.  I haven't tried rocketing up a steep hill yet, but I know my feet won't be rolling off the leading edge anymore.  It's still early days, but I'm going to go out on a limb by saying this is EXACTLY what the KS16 needed for my average western feet.  It's like a new wheel.  Just rocking forwards onto the balls of my feet creates instant acceleration without the threat of rolling off the front.  I LOVE IT.  Me thinks the 16s might be too slow for me now :(

@Ch.Eng.62 they are not easier to touch the ground in turns as they are higher than the stock pedals so they touch the ground at the same time ( i checked it out).  And my calibration is good, so there is no dipping forwards when cornering.  Now, they might cause problems jumping up curbs, but I don't jump up curbs.  I was going to bend the fronts up, to match the natural curve of a shoe, but, as I said, this stuff is really hard, so I gave that one a miss for now.  Besides, my test rides did not indicate that a curve would be necessary.  Also, I was afraid the curve would end up in the wrong place, or in the right place for boots but the wrong place for shoes.

The edge of the ali is quite rough.  The bench grinder session was supposed to sort that, and to bevel the bottom edge for a more refined look, but this stuff just flat refuses to be manipulated.

4 hours ago, Dancer said:

Once you go big foot pedalled you won't go back

It has been one of those "why didn't I do this years ago" moments.  my wheel always felt like a pet tiger, playful most of the time. but there was always that feeling that a surprise attack was just around the corner (out of the blue wobble (ask @Rehab1  if he knows about these)).  That's why I did my 2.5" mod, but I can't see how it helped (possibly my tire choice).  But this! this has turned my tiger into a pussycat, even with the dubious 2.5" mod, a very powerful pussycat.

It's also worth noting that between the bigger tire and the 7mm thick Big Foots, I'm standing higher than the normal ks16; possibly as much as 2cm.  I'm not sure if this helps or hinders.  I know V8s have high pedals, and no one complains about any associated problems.

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

It has been one of those "why didn't I do this years ago" moments.  my wheel always felt like a pet tiger, playful most of the time. but there was always that feeling that a surprise attack was just around the corner (out of the blue wobble (ask @Rehab1  if he knows about these)).  That's why I did my 2.5" mod, but I can't see how it helped (possibly my tire choice).  But this! this has turned my tiger into a pussycat, even with the dubious 2.5" mod, a very powerful pussycat.

Glad your modification worked out better than expected. So you will soon be marketing ‘Big Foot’?

Thanks guys.  I'm very pleased with the feel, if not the slightly unfinished look.  I've done a bit of filing today on the edges to even them out a bit.  I can still improve them over time.  It really is luxurious stepping on these giant things.  Now I gauge my foot position by relating my toe to the front of the pedal (I line them up) before I had to scooch as far forward without feeling like the pedal was behind me.  It's hard to explain.  It's a bit like this feeling. You yanks will remember Kramer's attempts at creating wide lanes:

57 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Glad your modification worked out better than expected. So you will soon be marketing ‘Big Foot’?

Marketing? Nah!  Anyone can get some ali plate cut to shape.  A symetrical shape would probably have been better, and I can still reprofile them to that end.  Just not right now.  The house is sold and I've got to start my long long road trip by the 8th of April.  So many things to sort out.  I shouldn't even be here right now.

Only thing I would be a little worried about is the rough narrow edge of the ally. If it ever does a bucking bronco impression when you unintentionally step off it could take a hell of a slice out of your ankle!

Might be an idea to fit some push on plastic edge beading just as a precaution?

Something like this!

16 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Only thing I would be a little worried about is the rough narrow edge of the ally. If it ever does a bucking bronco impression when you unintentionally step off it could take a hell of a slice out of your ankle!

Might be an idea to fit some push on plastic edge beading just as a precaution?

Something like this!

Yeah, that's a reasonable consideration but that particular trim would leave a lip I would feel through my shoe.  As I said earlier I have been making them smother (;)) by filing.  I'll look out for a soft trim that doesn't stand proud of the deck.

thought about making this my new image, but couldn't remember how to do it:

Space-Truckin-man1.jpg?interpolation=lan

or this:

41Z1cOastRL._SY355_.jpg

20 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yeah, that's a reasonable consideration but that particular trim would leave a lip I would feel through my shoe.  As I said earlier I have been making them smother (;)) by filing.  I'll look out for a soft trim that doesn't stand proud of the deck.

thought about making this my new image, but couldn't remember how to do it:

Space-Truckin-man1.jpg?interpolation=lan

or this:

41Z1cOastRL._SY355_.jpg

I like your selection of avatars but this photo would offer name continuity.  :P

39178018420_08de2002b9_b.jpg

On 3/22/2018 at 9:52 AM, Smoother said:

A test ride two nights ago, with just one Big Foot installed (meaning my left legs was raised up 7mm higher than my right, confirmed that I was onto something.  Despite the imbalance, I was shooting around (in the dark) at speed I rarely reach (15 to 19 mph).  The 16s quits around 21.7mph; how much "around" 21.7 I wasn't prepared to find out.  I experienced no wobbles and felt comfortable.  The grip tape hadn't arrived yet but the grip on the bare aluminum (dry) was just fine.  I ordered some skateboard tape from Amazon and it arrived this afternoon.  here is the finished look; notice the tiny factory pedal peeking out from underneath:

40062391925_a8acfbc674_b.jpg

Here it is with my size 11 work boot on it:

And from underneath, showing the factory toy pedal:

Wow, this is really impressive. They do look to be super comfy in use. Based on the pictures with your shoes it does look like if you were to make another set you could probably make them a bit shorter, right? Then again you say they don't touch the ground any more than 'normal' pedals, so I guess it's a don't care.

My shoe size is about the same as yours. I'm grateful that for whatever reason,  my feet don't seem to be bothered by the default pedals that are supplied on all of my wheels.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, this is really impressive. They do look to be super comfy in use. Based on the pictures with your shoes it does look like if you were to make another set you could probably make them a bit shorter, right? Then again you say they don't touch the ground any more than 'normal' pedals, so I guess it's a don't care.

My shoe size is about the same as yours. I'm grateful that for whatever reason,  my feet don't seem to be bothered by the default pedals that are supplied on all of my wheels.

EDIT: Yes, they wouldn't suffer being a bit shorter; but I had such a time cutting them with the tools available to me that, cutting them more was out of the question.  To be specific I have an ancient Bosch jig saw which I have to dismantle to change blades.  I changed blades twice and once I had to tighten the blade. After I tightened it and bolted the motor together, it broke 2 seconds into the next cut :crying: 

Plus, I'm trying to get ready to Bug out of my current digs and hit the road for an extended time.  There's a lot to do.

Well, as my first girlfriend once said, "I didn't realize size could make such a difference".  :D

Then she dumped me for another guy.:(

But seriously, every time I step on it's like "Ahhhh! this feels right"  Then, other than feeling much more secure in my riding, they disappear from my consciousness.  Not so much the tiny toy pedals I used to have to teeter on.  It's a bit like this:

Before:

Pain-3.jpg

After:

0808_hrbp_02_z+shift_levers+no_room_for_

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

No... Use this one...

Smoother

1. Go to your profile
  2. At the top where your avatar is shown, click on the little picture icon
  3. Upload the new image
  4. Crop and go...

Sorry, it wont work.  I went into your Flickr page and selected "copy image address".  When I tried to insert it, it said wrong file type.  So I tried copying it to my pc, but it doesn't appear as a picture but a blank space with a ".webp" extension.

Would it be possible to flip and manipulate this onto the toy pedal in the picture? 

camper-parts-big-foot-gas-pedal.jpgThat would be the icing on the cake.

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I like your selection of avatars but this photo would offer name continuity.  :P

39178018420_08de2002b9_b.jpg

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!! IT'S LIKE THIS:

2b2a783dbd53fc2efe1c19631f264ae5.jpg

Smother, Smother! Get it right.

Wait, have I been spelling it wrong all this time? Shit! :facepalm:

Archived