Jump to content

Big Foot Pedals by Smoother


Smoother
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a confession to make: I haven't been loving my King Song 16s as much as others seem to love theirs.  My problem is occasional wobbles, which scare me enough at speed to keep my speeds unnaturally low.  @Marty Backe told me it was just me and I should shut up and go away (my words, not his:D).  A part of my problem, I believed was the general shortness of pedals; fine for size 7 Chinese feet but for western male adult feet, not so good.

So I resolved, over a year ago in Spain, that when I got back to the UK I would make some pedal extensions as others have done.  Well, over a year later, and one new wheel too, I've FINALLY done it.

For years I have been carting around a sheet of 6.5mm aluminum diamond plate, and it was my intention to use it.

Here it is, with two shoe shaped bites out of it:

40955920131_793664021f_b.jpg

This stuff took forever to cut with an electric jig saw. It's aluminum on steroids.

Here is one in place.  I later decided to go with grip tape as the diamond pattern was actually making it slicker due to reduced contact area:

40247304254_5930c19b78_b.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dancer said:

Once you go big foot pedalled you won't go back

It has been one of those "why didn't I do this years ago" moments.  my wheel always felt like a pet tiger, playful most of the time. but there was always that feeling that a surprise attack was just around the corner (out of the blue wobble (ask @Rehab1  if he knows about these)).  That's why I did my 2.5" mod, but I can't see how it helped (possibly my tire choice).  But this! this has turned my tiger into a pussycat, even with the dubious 2.5" mod, a very powerful pussycat.

It's also worth noting that between the bigger tire and the 7mm thick Big Foots, I'm standing higher than the normal ks16; possibly as much as 2cm.  I'm not sure if this helps or hinders.  I know V8s have high pedals, and no one complains about any associated problems.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

It has been one of those "why didn't I do this years ago" moments.  my wheel always felt like a pet tiger, playful most of the time. but there was always that feeling that a surprise attack was just around the corner (out of the blue wobble (ask @Rehab1  if he knows about these)).  That's why I did my 2.5" mod, but I can't see how it helped (possibly my tire choice).  But this! this has turned my tiger into a pussycat, even with the dubious 2.5" mod, a very powerful pussycat.

Glad your modification worked out better than expected. So you will soon be marketing ‘Big Foot’?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys.  I'm very pleased with the feel, if not the slightly unfinished look.  I've done a bit of filing today on the edges to even them out a bit.  I can still improve them over time.  It really is luxurious stepping on these giant things.  Now I gauge my foot position by relating my toe to the front of the pedal (I line them up) before I had to scooch as far forward without feeling like the pedal was behind me.  It's hard to explain.  It's a bit like this feeling. You yanks will remember Kramer's attempts at creating wide lanes:

 

Edited by Smoother
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Glad your modification worked out better than expected. So you will soon be marketing ‘Big Foot’?

Marketing? Nah!  Anyone can get some ali plate cut to shape.  A symetrical shape would probably have been better, and I can still reprofile them to that end.  Just not right now.  The house is sold and I've got to start my long long road trip by the 8th of April.  So many things to sort out.  I shouldn't even be here right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Only thing I would be a little worried about is the rough narrow edge of the ally. If it ever does a bucking bronco impression when you unintentionally step off it could take a hell of a slice out of your ankle!

Might be an idea to fit some push on plastic edge beading just as a precaution?

Something like this!

Yeah, that's a reasonable consideration but that particular trim would leave a lip I would feel through my shoe.  As I said earlier I have been making them smother (;)) by filing.  I'll look out for a soft trim that doesn't stand proud of the deck.

thought about making this my new image, but couldn't remember how to do it:

Space-Truckin-man1.jpg?interpolation=lan

or this:

41Z1cOastRL._SY355_.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yeah, that's a reasonable consideration but that particular trim would leave a lip I would feel through my shoe.  As I said earlier I have been making them smother (;)) by filing.  I'll look out for a soft trim that doesn't stand proud of the deck.

thought about making this my new image, but couldn't remember how to do it:

Space-Truckin-man1.jpg?interpolation=lan

or this:

41Z1cOastRL._SY355_.jpg

 

I like your selection of avatars but this photo would offer name continuity.  :P

39178018420_08de2002b9_b.jpg

 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2018 at 9:52 AM, Smoother said:

A test ride two nights ago, with just one Big Foot installed (meaning my left legs was raised up 7mm higher than my right, confirmed that I was onto something.  Despite the imbalance, I was shooting around (in the dark) at speed I rarely reach (15 to 19 mph).  The 16s quits around 21.7mph; how much "around" 21.7 I wasn't prepared to find out.  I experienced no wobbles and felt comfortable.  The grip tape hadn't arrived yet but the grip on the bare aluminum (dry) was just fine.  I ordered some skateboard tape from Amazon and it arrived this afternoon.  here is the finished look; notice the tiny factory pedal peeking out from underneath:

40062391925_a8acfbc674_b.jpg

Here it is with my size 11 work boot on it:

 

And from underneath, showing the factory toy pedal:

 

 

Wow, this is really impressive. They do look to be super comfy in use. Based on the pictures with your shoes it does look like if you were to make another set you could probably make them a bit shorter, right? Then again you say they don't touch the ground any more than 'normal' pedals, so I guess it's a don't care.

My shoe size is about the same as yours. I'm grateful that for whatever reason,  my feet don't seem to be bothered by the default pedals that are supplied on all of my wheels.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, this is really impressive. They do look to be super comfy in use. Based on the pictures with your shoes it does look like if you were to make another set you could probably make them a bit shorter, right? Then again you say they don't touch the ground any more than 'normal' pedals, so I guess it's a don't care.

My shoe size is about the same as yours. I'm grateful that for whatever reason,  my feet don't seem to be bothered by the default pedals that are supplied on all of my wheels.

 

EDIT: Yes, they wouldn't suffer being a bit shorter; but I had such a time cutting them with the tools available to me that, cutting them more was out of the question.  To be specific I have an ancient Bosch jig saw which I have to dismantle to change blades.  I changed blades twice and once I had to tighten the blade. After I tightened it and bolted the motor together, it broke 2 seconds into the next cut :crying: 

Plus, I'm trying to get ready to Bug out of my current digs and hit the road for an extended time.  There's a lot to do.

Well, as my first girlfriend once said, "I didn't realize size could make such a difference".  :D

.

.

Then she dumped me for another guy.:(

But seriously, every time I step on it's like "Ahhhh! this feels right"  Then, other than feeling much more secure in my riding, they disappear from my consciousness.  Not so much the tiny toy pedals I used to have to teeter on.  It's a bit like this:

Before:

Pain-3.jpg

After:

0808_hrbp_02_z+shift_levers+no_room_for_

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

No... Use this one...

Smoother

  1. Go to your profile
  2. At the top where your avatar is shown, click on the little picture icon
  3. Upload the new image
  4. Crop and go...

Sorry, it wont work.  I went into your Flickr page and selected "copy image address".  When I tried to insert it, it said wrong file type.  So I tried copying it to my pc, but it doesn't appear as a picture but a blank space with a ".webp" extension.

Would it be possible to flip and manipulate this onto the toy pedal in the picture? 

camper-parts-big-foot-gas-pedal.jpgThat would be the icing on the cake.

Edited by Smoother
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I like your selection of avatars but this photo would offer name continuity.  :P

39178018420_08de2002b9_b.jpg

 

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!! IT'S LIKE THIS:

2b2a783dbd53fc2efe1c19631f264ae5.jpg

Smother, Smother! Get it right.

.

.

Wait, have I been spelling it wrong all this time? Shit! :facepalm:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...