Handle broken

vemalilu

:angry:As seen in many other treads, now my ninebot one e+ handle is broken too.

Not only that isnt handy when OK, it broke because of nothing. There was no heavy impact or anything like that. This is not acceptable from a device that costs 1000€. 

Im pissed 

IMG_20150824_005827.jpg

I've been looking at buying a Ninebot P when it comes out and the handle is the biggest reason why I don't like it. That is low quality cast "pot metal" rather than a machined part, which is a really bad choice given the stress it is under. Or, if they had a standard handle loop molded into the case like every other EUC, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

With cast alloy parts it's often not the force or stress that's exerted on it at the time it breaks but all the previous stresses it's been subject to. With its crystalline structure cast mixed alloys are prone to micro fractures which over time worsen and compound eventually leading to catastrophic failure. 

It's a bit like the last straw that broke the camels back, it doesn't need much of a knock or force to break it once the weakness has built up. It shows a poor choice of material during the materials selection process in the design stage in my opinion.

This is my biggest fear.  My handle already sometimes "shifts" when in the up position so that I have to push it back to the centerline in order to put it back into the closed position.

I can appreciate that they wanted the handle to disappear when not needed, but this needs to be a better component.  I'd rather not have a molded handle that ruins the aesthetics of the device.

Because of this flaw, I leave the handle down and for the most part try to pretend that it does not exist.  I use the handle only as a 'bend over trolly handle' when rolling the bot for short distances.  I always lift the bot into the car by the frame only.  

Too bad it is not a better design.  But seems safest to ignore that handle and try to work around it.  Doesn't sound like carrying it by the handle would be a very good idea. 

Because of this flaw, I leave the handle down and for the most part try to pretend that it does not exist.  I use the handle only as a 'bend over trolly handle' when rolling the bot for short distances.  I always lift the bot into the car by the frame only.  

...in which case it doesn't matter much whether the handle has already been broken off, it wouldn't change much from the practicability perspective.

It shows a poor choice of material during the materials selection process in the design stage in my opinion.

Let's hope this was the only poor choice of relevance. 

Except (for me) for walking it to the car....  Until I buy/make a trolley handle. 

sure, I myself do have a trolley and still use the carrying handle each time I use the EUC and I would be very pissed if the handle would become unusable.

not only did I remove my handle anyway as it says the brand name on it and I'm all about stripping off brands. but the trolley handle I bought from wheelyouride for $148US  never fit in the first place, pretty sure I got a bot with faulty screw holes\ :(   So alas I am forced to have no way to pick up my bot 

not only did I remove my handle anyway as it says the brand name on it and I'm all about stripping off brands. but the trolley handle I bought from wheelyouride for $148US  never fit in the first place, pretty sure I got a bot with faulty screw holes\ :(   So alas I am forced to have no way to pick up my bot 

There may be different screw hole sizes.  Some people on the forum said the screw holes were M5 (metrics) but while that looked about right for mine I found they wouldn't screw in easily.  My holes were 10-32 (U.S. Size).  You might give both of those a try.

It sounds like someone should make a handle that attaches to the screw holes.  They would have to be careful to make it where you could still access the power button and charging connector and make it where it was compatible with the existing trolley handles.

There may be different screw hole sizes.  Some people on the forum said the screw holes were M5 (metrics) but while that looked about right for mine I found they wouldn't screw in easily.  My holes were 10-32 (U.S. Size).  You might give both of those a try.

unfortunately I live in a small town and do not have access to spare parts, I have requested extra bolts sent to me but dont think it will happen, if it's some have different holes, then my bot must have been the change over because on teh front top hole lets a screw screw in and the bottom hole is just screwed up same on the backside only reverse top and bottom. 

Except (for me) for walking it to the car....  Until I buy/make a trolley handle. 

They make it bad Quality in order to sell the fucking trolley handle for enormous 60 bucks.

Ninebot is a bad Company! Dont buy it. Go for IPS

Now that blows. I use my handle extensively to carry my e+

I would hate it if it breaks off

Post here when it happens (it will happen!)

I am also carrying mine a lot on the handle, and I have had serious crashes, so I guess mine will eventually break as well. But I guess it can be welded again? Or is it a very complicated design where it is secured to the wheel?

The only thing I can say about it, is that is that is not very ergonomic.

But I guess it can be welded again?

Pot metal in general cannot be successfully repaired. 

Objects made with this type of metal are also difficult to repair, as they tend to take poorly to welding, soldering, or gluing, techniques typically used to repair other broken metal objects. -- http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-pot-metal.htm 

Does anyone know if you can carry the NB1 with the trolly handle?  I often have to carry the bot up stairs and need a handle.  Would the attachment points of the trolly handle be able withstand that kind of stress?

I am pretty sure that attachment points will resist the weight. And the trolley it seems very resistant, when lowered.

The only drawback...the trolley it is very slippery when used as a handle. And you will need re-position your hand every few meters, since it will move towards the trolley end. May be that a rubber adhesive tape can do the trick.

Does anyone know if you can carry the NB1 with the trolly handle?  I often have to carry the bot up stairs and need a handle.  Would the attachment points of the trolly handle be able withstand that kind of stress?

do you have another Option?

For carrying longer distances I tuck the wheel under my arm and put my hand either under the shell or under the folded wheel. Normally I am wearing gloves so other than the weight it's comfortable to carry. To me it feels better than carrying by the handle. 

I doubt very much that one could carry the euc with the trolley handle for long. I do have the trolley handle and dont want to miss it. Its great to move the NB1 inside buildings or through crowded areas. But I dont dare lifting the wheel with it.

I doubt very much that one could carry the euc with the trolley handle for long. I do have the trolley handle and dont want to miss it. Its great to move the NB1 inside buildings or through crowded areas. But I dont dare lifting the wheel with it.

Are you saying that when and if you lift your 9B1 with your trolley, the trolley would fall out?

Is it not sturdy enough to resist the weight?

That's what I thought, but I was hoping the answer would be different! Oh well.

I agree with the fact that the trolley handle would be too flimsy even though I spent the extra on it I never used it as the holes on my bot were messed up from the get go. But it is clearly lower quality trolley handle than is what on my luggage 

Archived