Solid tire?

kindnation

Since I am located in Thailand, I had to buy my Inmotion V8 from AliExpress since there’s no authorized dealers here.  I was looking for a spare tire and found this solid tire, and it claims it’s “anti stab, wear-resisting, explosion-proof”. 

Also, I currently have to pump up my tire every other ride because I can feel the tire get soft, as I like the feel around 45 PSI on the stock Kenda tire.  A solid tire with a consistent feel would be easier than having to waste time refilling the tire.

Has anyone tried this tire or know how it rides?  Are there any caveats with using a solid tire?  Would a solid tire work with the V8? 

3F57FEB9-9F25-4E53-A7D5-F1D5B989339C.jpeg

I can't answer your direct question, but I can say that you should not have to fill your tire so often. I can go weeks without having to add air to my tires.

I would first try and tighten the valve stem. If it's not tight you can lose a lot of air within a couple of days. This is the tool that I use: http://amzn.to/2Gbzz4A

Then, put 3 to 4 ounces of Slime (or equivalent) in your tire.

One or both of these operations should result in a leak-proof tire.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has tried a solid tire in their EUC.

The old Gotway M5 had a solid tyre. It was the main reason I never got one.

My experience with solid tyres is mainly on wheelbarrows (real ones, not the Chinese electric kind) on my farm. They are not good, they are harder to push, don't deal well with rough surfaces and transfer every vibration through the frame they are attached to.

3 hours ago, kindnation said:

Has anyone tried this tire or know how it rides?  Are there any caveats with using a solid tire?  Would a solid tire work with the V8?

I personally have never tried using solid tire for my V8, but some fellow riders I know in China did this and it worked for them with few consequences:

• Solid tire weights more than normal tire with inner tube.
  • Less comfortable for bumpy surfaces.
  • The feelings of your ride will change significantly.
  • You may need to re-adapt and even re-learn to ride your V8.

So what I did is exactly the same as @Marty Backe suggested below:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I would first try and tighten the valve stem.

Then, put 3 to 4 ounces of Slime (or equivalent) in your tire.

And it works well for me. :cheers:

I've done a little research into solid tires for some reason I forget now.  Anyway, on a pneumatic tire the air in the entire tube is used as an air shock absorber.  On a solid tire only the part near the contact patch is providing you suspension.  so its not a good ride, and its not adjustable.

Also, having the same feel every time may be true, but what if it's not the exact feel you achieve at your 45 psi?  You're stuck.

1 hour ago, kindnation said:

Really appreciate everyone’s input. I think I’ll scrap the solid tire idea and look for a suitable tire as a spare, and try tightening the valve stem but I can’t seem to order Slime to Thailand.

Hopefully it's the valve. Make sure it's very tight. Good luck.

5 hours ago, kindnation said:

Really appreciate everyone’s input. I think I’ll scrap the solid tire idea and look for a suitable tire as a spare, and try tightening the valve stem but I can’t seem to order Slime to Thailand.

If tightening the valve doesn't work, message me directly (here on the forum) and I can post you some over...

52 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If tightening the valve doesn't work, message me directly (here on the forum) and I can post you some over...

Are you the New Zealand version of @Rehab1, but with a funny accent? :P

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Are you the New Zealand version of @Rehab1, but with a funny accent? :P

You do what you have to do, to keep a brother wheeling!

And actually... Where I come from, I don't have an accent.   :D

I do some stupid mistakes too, oftenly. Still, no misunderstanding occured! :D

Back on topic:
Forget those solid tires it does not meant to be used in dynamic rides, absolutely not suitable for EUC

Archived