Gotway MCM5 (Translated From French)

Esash

The MCM5 gotway was present at the March 11 hike and I'm a little surprised that no one shares his impressions. In any case here are mine

• To begin, you need to know a little about my profile. I am mostly used to 16-inch and 18-inch wheels. In general, I find the 14 inches a little too fofolles. However I liked the KS-14C and to take a newer model I liked the KS-14S. There is something that I like about the behavior of the MCM4 Gotway. But I much prefer the 16 inches and 18 inches. I prefer power for safety, control of the wheel while driving, stability, basic comfort.
  • First impression: "Ouch the malleoluses hit the hull and it hurts". This also depends on the morphology of each. I am not necessarily spoiled on this point. I put my feet a little outside the pedals and it's ok.Fortunately, the pedals are wide.
  • Surprise the wrist hole does not cross the wheel from side to side. It's surprising as a choice. In any case it surprised me. In practice you have to lift the wheel with your right hand .... And then thinking, I thought there was nothing blocking left-handed. If you want to carry the wheel with your left hand just put the rear part of the wheel forward and you can hold it with your left hand. That said, the fact that the hole does not go through, I do not know if it's very comfortable all that.
  • I note in passing that the hull is quite hard. It may seem a little poor but at the same time it seems solid.Obviously, I did not have fun dropping the wheel so I do not know how it resists shocks. And I do not care a bit about that aspect.
  • Then the wheel is completely at the ankle. She is very thin and it is a little difficult to tighten with the calves.
  • I am used to riding with wheels a bit wide and / or rather high. In any case, I used to touch the hull of the wheel with my calves suddenly it disturbs me a little ...
  • I ride with and obviously, it's a very handy wheel. It's normal because it's a 14 inch. I prefer to get used to a bit on the sidewalk before going further because I find it pretty crazy because I'm not used to 14 inches.
  • After 3 minutes I start to cross the road. All is well, I'm getting used to it and the wheel is doing very well.
  • I arrive at a fairly open place where I can try to go fast. Note that the battery is about 50%. I drive fast in a straight line without thinking too much and the wheel beeps at 36 km / h (I do not know how it is set).During the acceleration, there is nothing that disturbs me. These are sensations that I'm used to .... and I realize that I'm on a 14 inches ... So, I think that stability is very interesting. The acceleration is nice. At the end of the straight line I brake hard and there the wheel drives a lot. I repeated this experience several times and it always gave the same result. As I'm not used to just riding with the ankles I think I do not know how to balance my braking. You have to see how other wheelers manage braking.
  • Then I do slaloms, tight turns, etc ... Everything is easy ... Well yes, it's a 14 inches.
  • And then I'm doing a little bit of reverse. I am surprised at first because it is low and still for the same reason I can not use my calves so I have to adapt a little. I feel a little awkward because I'm not used to it but I can do a good reverse. Turns are much easier on a tesla or a msuper3. Well yes, I repeat it's a 14 inches.
  • The discomfort begins to rise seriously. My feet are quite fragile on a wheel and the fact of having contact with the sole of the foot is very bad for me. I have very bad feet. But I continue my essay.
  • I take a little pavement then I do a little crossing. The wheel is doing very well against I am not lucky with my feet because the shocks coming from under the feet hurt me very much. Everyone does not have that kind of problem, but for me it's blocking. It's too painful.
  • The fact that there is no side foam does not pose any problem on the fact that it does not hurt the shins at all. It bothers me because I like having this contact with the shins / calves. In addition, having support at this level helps relieve my foot pain it seems to me. Personally, I'll put something like ACM foam on this wheel. In addition, it will push me naturally to put the feet a little more outside perhaps suddenly my malleoluses will no longer touch the shell ...

In summary: I like the stability, the acceleration, the speed, the integrated trolley but I have problems of basic comfort especially concerning the pains of the flat of the feet and this is blocking for me because it causes physical pains unbearable. If one day someone wants to put ACM pads on the MCM5 I would like to test because for now I am very frustrated.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/4473-gotway-mcm-5/&prev=search

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing this review!

I've had my MCM5 for about a week now and so far I like it.

I was a bit concerned about the comort issue that this reviewer experienced but the reason for this is the tilt back activating at 25 km/h. It activates very subtly, without any beeping, and makes riding at top speed very uncomfortable (as it should). The tilt back at 25 km/h is supposed to deactivate after 200 km/h so hopefully it will be awesome after that :)

What I like about it so far is:

• Its very silent
  • Powerful, great acceleration and braking
  • Nimble
  • Head light is very bright
  • Built in handle and deactivation switch makes it very easy to tow around and carry up stairs
  • Super grippy pedals, very comfy
  • Pedal height is fine, not as tall as my GT16 but you have to turn pretty tight to hit the ground

What I am less found of:

• The round shape makes it hard to hold it between your legs when it's turned off, it keeps sliding away
  • You cant hold it and turn it on with one hand only
  • The case is a bit low and hits curbs when hopping onto side walks
  • Large for a 14" incher, I was hoping it was more the size of the MCM2 when I ordered it but it's actually bigger than my RS16
  • Carry handle is covered at one side so you have to turn it around sometimes before carrying it
  • The app I downloaded from gotway just crashes on my phone, will try another phone.

PS, if anyone know which app works with the MCM5 let me know.

This is the older version of the GotWay app, that @Marty Backe always recommends to use with GotWay wheels. The main advantage being that because there is no login/registering required, this version will actually work and also works with the Newer wheels. It is only really necessary for initial calibration of the pedals using this app, then use Wheellog (if on Android) to do everything else for the best experience. Hope this helps you get your New wheel set up.

1 minute ago, Lorents said:

Thanks!

Only reason I want to install the app is to see how long I have left to unlock it :) 
(in other words, when I can get it back from my son)

If you are not concerned about set up, then just get Wheellog (presuming you are using Android) as it's a fantastic app that will definitely suit your needs.

Congrats, Lorents! Seems like a very fun wheel. I have the MCM3 as my only wheel. I like it a lot but can't wait to upgrade at some point.

7 hours ago, Lorents said:

Thanks for sharing this review!

I've had my MCM5 for about a week now and so far I like it.

I was a bit concerned about the comort issue that this reviewer experienced but the reason for this is the tilt back activating at 25 km/h. It activates very subtly, without any beeping, and makes riding at top speed very uncomfortable (as it should). The tilt back at 25 km/h is supposed to deactivate after 200 km/h so hopefully it will be awesome after that :)

What I like about it so far is:

• Its very silent
  • Powerful, great acceleration and braking
  • Nimble
  • Head light is very bright
  • Built in handle and deactivation switch makes it very easy to tow around and carry up stairs
  • Super grippy pedals, very comfy
  • Pedal height is fine, not as tall as my GT16 but you have to turn pretty tight to hit the ground

What I am less found of:

• The round shape makes it hard to hold it between your legs when it's turned off, it keeps sliding away
  • You cant hold it and turn it on with one hand only
  • The case is a bit low and hits curbs when hopping onto side walks
  • Large for a 14" incher, I was hoping it was more the size of the MCM2 when I ordered it but it's actually bigger than my RS16
  • Carry handle is covered at one side so you have to turn it around sometimes before carrying it
  • The app I downloaded from gotway just crashes on my phone, will try another phone.

PS, if anyone know which app works with the MCM5 let me know.

Unless something bizarre has happened in the Gotway universe, their wheels do not have deactivation periods. I think you are confusing the default Gotway tilt-back setting with the KingSong speed throttling that occurs until you've ridden 200 kilometers.

All you have to do is connect to the wheel with the Gotway or WheelLog app and set the tilt-back speed to what you want.

Archived