MCM4 680wh for Sweden?

Who cares about the rules :P These kind of vehicles are in some kind of "gray zone" and I think they are counted as a bicycle, and I also think you can loose your drivers license if you act bad/drunk/drive too fast.

But at the same time, you can buy electric unicycles in sweden on like CDON and MediaMarkt, but they are kind of crappy. Only 15km distance and 15km/h speed or something. I saw a better one as well, but I guess most of the stuff sold in scandinavia are quite bad, like a regular hoverboard from Hobbex for $250. If you want a "vehicle", I guess you have to buy them from Germany (closest) or something. And they don't know the difference between the legal ones and the "maybe illegal ones".

And if the police catch you, then you can just make a big thing of it in the media. "I just wanted an environment friendly vehicle for using back and forth to my work instead of buying a car destroying the environment. And the police put their focus on me?! Isn't this country fucked up? Share and like if you agree with me" etc etc...

And there will be headlines in the newspapers and people will be upset and maybe the laws will change after that! That's how Sweden works.

This is my "first real ride". I did about an hour of practice in total before this video. And after this video I took a break  couple of hours and tried again with much more confidence and it was much better. I even went outside in the dark driving round and round and round on a parking place and also up and down some pavement "hills" of 15-20 degrees or something and it worked quite well. It was quite windy so I started shaking a couple of times which made me have to jump off the wheel and it was spinning around on the ground getting some cosmetic damage. But I guess I just have to live with that cosmetic damage? They are quite sturdy, aren't they? I can basically drop it from 1-2 meters height on the ground without any interior damage, right?

I guess tomorrow will be an even better day :)

Today I did my first kilometer outside on real streets. Up and down the hills and it worked quite good! I was still a bit uncomfortable and I was wobbling a bit because I was nervous. And I can't get up on my wheel properly without holding something with my hands yet.

I did not fall at all today and I was probably at 20km/h at the most. Very fun! Thanks for all your help and advice :)

After you are more confident in straight lines, then practice doing the same thing but going slowly.  Then practice more turns and then can learn getting on without holding on to things.  There are some good videos showing techniques for mounting.

I did as you guys said. I'm not much much much more comfortable with this, even in slow speeds and I don't have trouble doing 45 degrees turning and I can even do 90 degrees turnings, but they are a little bit more shaky and I have 80% success rate on 90 degree turnings if I have space enough.

I just wonder one thing. The app does not work with my phone when I try to connect it with bluetooth. Maybe to new android version or something. Therefore I can not use the app ? And I can not change the speed. When I increase the speed over a specific limit, then my pedals are rotating backwards which is super creepy. Is it possible to turn this off without the app? I hate it and it makes me feel very uncomfortable. What is it for? If I pass a specific speed, the beep is enough for me. The rotating part just mess with my brain. Can I turn that off somehow?

17 minutes ago, Yffisch said:

I did as you guys said. I'm not much much much more comfortable with this, even in slow speeds and I don't have trouble doing 45 degrees turning and I can even do 90 degrees turnings, but they are a little bit more shaky and I have 80% success rate on 90 degree turnings if I have space enough.

I just wonder one thing. The app does not work with my phone when I try to connect it with bluetooth. Maybe to new android version or something. Therefore I can not use the app ? And I can not change the speed. When I increase the speed over a specific limit, then my pedals are rotating backwards which is super creepy. Is it possible to turn this off without the app? I hate it and it makes me feel very uncomfortable. What is it for? If I pass a specific speed, the beep is enough for me. The rotating part just mess with my brain. Can I turn that off somehow?

I have a different brand (Inmotion v8). The tilt back is to tell you that you are on limit of your wheels speed/torque at setting of you speed limit. It is a warning so you don't get a faceplant.

I drove around a bit pushing my wheel deliberately to get use to the tilt back sensation. Yes it feels creepy in the beginning but you will get use to it.

As for speed I drove around very slowly today to learn better balance. I seem to be much better at saving a wobble due to it. I am still far from off-road stable. So it will take some time (read ages) before I can compete with @Marty Backe videopostings.

@Pasi Thanks, WheelLog works, but I can not set my tilt back limit on that one! :) But I guess I'm not good enough for beeing able to drive faster so maybe it's good as it is. I guess I've done around 20km in "real traffic" now and it goes better and better. But a bicycle is still a much safer option.

The gotway app will work but it is a pain.  Unfortunately a requirement for turning off the tiltback.  It is worth it to get the app working for that.

Probably you are trying to pair the wheel with your phone over Bluetooth like what is done with every other Bluetooth device. Don't do that just have Bluetooth on then wheel on then start app. It is flakey and force closes a lot (clear it from phone memory then reopen app), but worth it to get tiltback off.  You will rarely need it but it is only way to adjust some settings.  If you like mcm4 now you will feel like you have gone through the gates of heaven when you disable tiltback ?

Thaanks! Yes, it force closes all the time and I haven't been able to start it even once. Maybe I can reinstall it and see. I just want to start it once and what you're saying makes me want to disable the tilt back :P

Going maximum 20 kmh with an electric unicycle is perfectly legal in Sweden. It's considered a bicycle (class 3). Going faster and you are no longer riding a bicycle. You are riding some kind of unregistered vehicle not allowed on public roads. You might get fined for unlawful driving (olovlig körning). 

Ok, thanks! Good to know.

I got the app to work since I tried another version. And if I keep the EUC off and start the app, then I turn it on, then it will not crash.

I used 1.02 https://github.com/bergmannm/GotwayEUC/releases

I turned off the tilt back since it sucked, and I also changed the beep from 21kmh to 24kmh since I was driving a "long" distance of 10km in a row and got annoyed of that beeping on country roads with no traffic, but in city traffic I guess I should put it back to 21kmh again, I don't want to ride illegally.

I'm starting to be quite good at this now! I have 95% success rate of the mounting and riding in walking speed is no issue and doing a 180 degree u-turn on smaller roads (2 meters) is no problem. I just need to learn to ride backwards now and everything is fine :P I've also tried a lot of gravel roads/grass/paths and it's no problem at all.

I'm doing these status updates in this thread just for other people to read it from almost knowing nothing about EUCs (Where to buy/Will I get it/How long time for shipping/Charging/Mounting/Tilt back/App problems/charging sparks). I think it's a good summary for a newbie to follow my journey :P

It took me approx 3 weeks to be quite confident on the vehicle and it took me until now to actually not be nervous all the time while driving in the traffic by pedestrians and stuff. I'm taking the wheel to work almost everyday now and it works fine!

6 hours ago, KalSeth said:

But how do you find tilt back being off?

I find it fantastic! The tilt back is good, but I had it on 16kmh and it was a bit annoying. I would rather have the tilt back on 25kmh and the beeping at 21kmh, that is more suitable. Beep is for driving illegally and tilt back is for saving your life :P But I prefer it off! I'm soo addicted to my wheel now using it all the time and everywhere.

Though, my knees are a bit wore out at the moment so I have some resting days now without the wheel. I found my legs were shaking a lot yesterday because the knees were tired and the muscles need to rest I guess. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use the wheel everyday since you kind of lock the legs in an uncomfortable position. But maybe it will be better over time when the legs get more trained? I do not shake at all when I have rested 2-3 days in between the wheel sessions, but it's booring to wait 2- 3 days :)

I just need to tell that I had a looot of beers today and got drunk as an egg. I had my wheel with me. I was going to go home by bus from the pub, but I decided to try my wheel when I was drunk which initially was a very bad idea. But it turned out to be awesome. I've never been that relaxed on my wheel and it went super smooth. I was very cautious at the same time as I was extremely relaxed. Somehow my brain must have activated "survival mode" and it must have understood that it's very important to be very careful now. I did 20kmh about 2km without problems and it felt much more nice and smooth than riding the wheel sober. Knees did not hurt at all and no shaking legs because of tired muscles etc etc...

I would not recommend it, but I was very surprised of how good it worked! ?

Archived