GW14 Loudspeaker Poti

^tom^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hmm, good question. It is not the EU i will drive in rain! It is my nice weather wheel.

But as long it is normal rain for some minutes......and this is why I did mount it on this "end", because the electronic is at the other "end".

So even in the worst case, nothing should be happen.....and you can seal it too!

I've found in the past on my quad bikes that you can get a good seal around the fitting with ordinary Kitchen/bathroom silicon and for the gaps around rocker switches and push switches a generous helping of petroleum jelly/Vaseline pushed well in works well as long as you top it up regularly and wipe the surplus off the exposed surfaces so they're not slimy

What ohm potentiometer did you use?  We have experimented with something in the 200k ohm range.  Is yours very linear?

Why does the negative need to connected to the pot at all?  The way we are doing it, is to splice the pot meter into the positive wire, connecting between the middle post and one of the outer ones.  No need for a 3rd wire.  Thoughts?

Or this way:http://cdn.instructables.com/FRI/2WGC/GQBCIF7W/FRI2WGCGQBCIF7W.LARGE.jpg

Do you talk to me?

Still this poti:

http://www.dx.com/p/maitech-20050303-50k-double-potentiometer-volume-potentiometer-silver-green-308697

I connected it the way you will normaly do it (if I research the www).

I do not know why the poti has 3 pins but it must be something.

It feels really linear to me. Not any problem to adjust to the level you like to have it.

Your idea wiring http://cdn.instructables.com/FRI/2WGC/GQBCIF7W/FRI2WGCGQBCIF7W.LARGE.jpgis the same as I did it, exept the oposite from plus/minus.

So I am not a electrican and can not really explain why or why not.

Thanks!  A 100k potentiometer was enough to complete silence the sound at full attenuation?  Just checking.  I wired it differently (using only 2 posts on the potentiometer) and the attenuation requires a 200k ohm version to fully silence the beep.

I checked it today. So the poti is not linear, but it is no problem at all the get to the level you like to have it.

It goes to 100% silent. I already ordered one more for the GW18 I'm waiting for.

So far I just use the app. I have a smartwatch that runs the app (an Inwatch z) so I have speed though its slightly off actual speed, battery estimate and distance on my wrist. Kind of convenient. Not sure if there is any other info the beeping warnings can convey.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thought. There are Bluetooth transmitters reasonably priced. I'm thinking of instead of a pot mod on my rockwheel, wiring up a BT transmitter instead. That way I would have the beeps bluetoothed directly to my ear buds.

Interesting thought. There are Bluetooth transmitters reasonably priced. I'm thinking of instead of a pot mod on my rockwheel, wiring up a BT transmitter instead. That way I would have the beeps bluetoothed directly to my ear buds.

That's an interesting idea.

Or you could solder the wires to a headphone socket and drill the case and fit it so you can plug it in from the outside.

It would be nicer if you used one of Jane's USB chargers wired in inside the case to power it though!

So that means you have to solder the wires to the headphone jack and then lead the BT device outside of the wheel to charge it?

Right now I'm planning on drilling two holes in the side of the euc case and securing the BT module to the outside of the case so I have easy access to the on/off button and to charge it. Then add two earphone jack plugs, one male, one female running through the two holes I drilled. The female will lead to the speaker and the male will allow me to plug into either the BT module or the jack for the speaker.

(The silver colored jack the device comes with is just a double male connector. I don't plan on using that)

As for "Jane's USB chargers". Tell me more?

Archived