My Wheel Failure Statistics

Marty Backe

Since I've owned a fair amount of wheels over the last 1-1/2 years I thought I'd share my personal statistics. I consider a failure when the wheel has to be opened to perform repairs. I included my Monster axle shims although technically the wheel was still very ride-able.

2018_03_09_10_57_53_001

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I add my statistics then also...same requirements as Marty....

March 2016 to March 2018:

Kingsong:

KS14C 680 wh 

KS16B 680 wh

KS18A 1360 wh

KS18S 1680 wh

Failure Rate: 0%,

Gotway:

Acm 820wh: Axle broken

Msuper 820wh: Defect Axle Shims, replaced

Monster 1600wh

Tesla 1020wh

Failure Rate: 50%

B)

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

be nice to know for us less knowledgeable wheelers and these failures resulted in what, like a cutout/cutoff/overlean cutout/wheel failure whatever, i’m mostly concerned about a faceplant because the wheel shut off.

if a wheel cutting off while ur riding isn’t a concern, that’s great news. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I add my statistics then also...same requirements as Marty....

March 2016 to March 2018:

Kingsong:

KS14C 680 wh 

KS16B 680 wh

KS18A 1360 wh

KS18S 1680 wh

Failure Rate: 0%,

Gotway:

Acm 820wh: Axle broken

Msuper 820wh: Defect Axle Shims, replaced

Monster 1600wh

Tesla 1020wh

Failure Rate: 50%

B)

I know how much you want to emphasize the crappy quality of Gotway wheels ;), but you cannot include EUCs that you bought knowing that they were already broken. So if I go and buy 5 broken KingSong wheels I can then say 5 of those wheels broke on me?????

So I say your personal Gotway failure rate is 25%.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

be nice to know for us less knowledgeable wheelers and these failures resulted in what, like a cutout/cutoff/overlean cutout/wheel failure whatever, i’m mostly concerned about a faceplant because the wheel shut off.

if a wheel cutting off while ur riding isn’t a concern, that’s great news. 

Only one of my reported 5 failures resulted in a cut-out with injuries.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I know how much you want to emphasize the crappy quality of Gotway wheels ;), but you cannot include EUCs that you bought knowing that they were already broken. So if I go and buy 5 broken KingSong wheels I can then say 5 of those wheels broke on me?????

So I say your personal Gotway failure rate is 25%.

Could you find 5 broken King Song wheels to buy?

• Like 1

Well, my Inmotion V3C have not failed, OTOH I never demanded very much out of it.

My GT16 started out as V1 and had a gyro failure on the board, and the shims inside the wheel on the axle. I more or less rebuilt it, the only original parts left are the battery packs, the rest is V2. Still going strong since. I don't know if that counts as 50% or 100% ? :laughbounce2:

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1

Compendium of 1000’s of test hours;)

Ninebot

NB1E+: 25% -Mainboard

Gotway

Luffy- 0%

ACM - voluntary rebuild- 0%

Mten3- 0%

Tesla: 0% :laughbounce2:

Inmotion

V5F+ - 0%

V8- 0% except for LED light issue

Kingsong

KS16S- 0%

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

Well, my Inmotion V3C have not failed, OTOH I never demanded very much out of it.

My GT16 started out as V1 and had a gyro failure on the board, and the shims inside the wheel on the axle. I more or less rebuilt it, the only original parts left are the battery packs, the rest is V2. Still going strong since. I don't know if that counts as 50% or 100% ? :laughbounce2:

I think yours qualifies as 100-percent :D

46 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Compendium of 1000’s of test hours;)

Ninebot

NB1E+: 25% -Mainboard

Gotway

Luffy- 0%

ACM - voluntary rebuild- 0%

Mten3- 0%

Tesla: 0% :laughbounce2:

Inmotion

V5F+ - 0%

V8- 0% except for LED light issue

Kingsong

KS16S- 0%

The ninebot didn't fail on you, but your grandson.  Marty didn't include the MSuper and KS14c that failed on the new owners.;)

• Like 1

Sep 2015 - Mar 2018
(my family and my friend - 5 riders)

Airwheel

X8 - 0%
X8 (another one) - 0%

IPS

A130 - 0%

Ninebot

NB1 E+ - brushes when riding on one leg

Gotway

MCM2s - loose nuts
MSuper V1 - 0%
Luffy - 0% (low mileage)
MTen3 - flat tire

Inmotion

V5F+ - minor crack in the shell
V8 - cracked shell, replaced

Kingsong

KS18A 640Wh - loose nuts
KS18A 1360Wh - damaged shell (minor)

Edited by trya
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ninebot

S1 - $299 Amazon deal - ridden hard and put up wet 'training bot' still runs and rides perfectly.

KingSong

18s - New in box - batteries would not charge (Jason replaced at no cost)

18s - NIB replacement - batteries would not charge (Jason replaced at no cost)

Maybe a list of reseller support would be helpful?  Anybody ever had a DOA or issue during 'warranty period' that went good/bad?  Forum Yelp section maybe?

Edited by Holt
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Holt said:

KingSong

18s - New in box - batteries would not charge (Jason replaced at no cost)

18s - NIB replacement - batteries would not charge (Jason replaced at no cost)

Yeah, that was fun!  Unlucky case of getting two back-to-back Wheels with the same control-board resistance to the battery pack, of all the 25x KS18S we had in stock. When Joey went up to test charging on the remaining Wheel, all of the others were able to receive a full charge.  

• Like 1

Service after sale is important to me.  I don’t really have a desire to tinker w something as unique as an euc.  Having at least an east coast option was high on my list.  Jason and his eWheels location in south Florida gives me a bit of hope for support when something goes haywire.  LA is a bit of a shipping (cost and time) nightmare.  

I’ve got nothing but positive things to say about my 18s and Jason’s customer service.

I will eventually get a monster and probably a 16 inch as my kids get into single wheels.  

The Z models look cool but I’m not sold that fat tire is going to be all that.  I guess we will eventually find out!

• 2 years later...

It is time to wake up this thread. New information has come out and it has been more than two years since the last post. eWheels claims that Gotway and King Song has lowest control-board failure rate. Inmotion and Segway failure rate is even higher. Taken directly from the table: Gotway (1-5%), King Song (4-6%), Inmotion (5-10%) and Segway (>9%). What do you think, is this correct information based on your experience? Batteries are another very important component, but unfortunately, I didn't find any failure rate information about the batteries. What do you think of it?

Source:

https://www.ewheels.com/electric-unicycle-ultimate_ewheel_comparison_ips_airwheel_ninebot_king_song_gotway/