KS14S Tilt-back After Full Charge - Help

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thank you for the additional information.

I left the wheel on overnight, with the lights on. The battery level dropped from 98% to 93%. There was no change to the wheel.

I will have to open the wheel this weekend to do the test.

This is my first KingSong wheel failure :(

After opening it up, just do a reset...take out the fuse, power on, and then go again.

First reading it sounds like an overcharge issue...with the instant tiltback.

But now it seams more like a warming the wheel has not enough power available.

Never ever heard of such a problem....but yeah, i understand that you are getting sarcastic about a KS failure ;-)

nonetheless i hope you get it resolved!

• Upvote 1

The fuse on the KS14S is on the front of the wheel. Do I still have to open the wheel to do as you suggest (some other fuse inside)???

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The fuse on the KS14S is on the front of the wheel. Do I still have to open the wheel to do as you suggest (some other fuse inside)???

They made it so easy to change the fuse.   I bet they know exactly how many times the fuse has been pulled.

Edited by steve454

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

After opening it up, just do a reset...take out the fuse, power on, and then go again.

First reading it sounds like an overcharge issue...with the instant tiltback.

But now it seams more like a warming the wheel has not enough power available.

Never ever heard of such a problem....but yeah, i understand that you are getting sarcastic about a KS failure ;-)

nonetheless i hope you get it resolved!

I removed the fuse in the front of the wheel (is there another fuse inside?), turned it on, then re-inserted the fuse (big spark), and the same thing - still broken.

BTW, I'm not being sarcastic about the KS failure. I'm actually surprised and saddened that my wheel has broken. I've been riding it just about every day for a long time, so I'm going to miss it :(

• Like 1

Likely, it's not an overcharge problem.  It's just that the control board thinks the battery voltage is higher than it is.

If you don't won't to open the wheel, you can look at the voltage reported by the Charger Doctor.  That voltage will be higher than the battery voltage, since there's a diode in series.  But, if your control board's notion is as far off as mine was, the control board will report a voltage even higher than what the Charge Doctor is reporting!  That means the control board needs replacing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Marty, what was the battery voltage that's being reported after you did the discharge?

I haven't made any voltage measurements yet.

18 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

I meant, what voltage is being reported on your app?

I haven't done that either. Maybe this weekend I'll take the app measurement and then open the wheel and make the battery measurement that @Flora Yuan suggested. I'm pretty sure that my KS14S is down for the count until I can get a new control board.

This will be the first time that I've ever personally seen the inside of a KingSong wheel. Exciting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I haven't done that either. Maybe this weekend I'll take the app measurement and then open the wheel and make the battery measurement that @Flora Yuan suggested. I'm pretty sure that my KS14S is down for the count until I can get a new control board.

This will be the first time that I've ever personally seen the inside of a KingSong wheel. Exciting.

I'm thinking that there's a video coming...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This sounds like the problem with the 14C where it doesn't sense the voltage right and incorrectly reports overcharge. Most of the time I use the Charge Doctor and don't see it, but when I do a full balancing charge every month or so I have to be really careful because even a slight downhill at the start causes a beep and tilt-back. Once I run it down a little it's fine. The fix was to replace the board. Pretty sure Jason has seen this one too.

• Like 2

On 2018/3/9 at 11:57 PM, Marty Backe said:

Thank you for the additional information.

I left the wheel on overnight, with the lights on. The battery level dropped from 98% to 93%. There was no change to the wheel.

I will have to open the wheel this weekend to do the test.

This is my first KingSong wheel failure :(

Hi @Marty Backe, sorry for that. BTW, you are very handsome in this photo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Marty, what did you find out?  What voltage did the app report?  Did you open the wheel and measure the battery voltage?

Among the many things on my plate, opening the KS14S has not yet happened. I think it will in the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Super helpful video @Marty Backe. I just took apart my 14D last night to try and replace the battery, and I completely agree with you about the pad removal being a destructive process.

Never looked inside a Gotway wheel, but this is the minimum manufacturing quality I would expect for a product like an EUC. I build a lot of RC planes and cars, and these are all standard connectors. Am I asking too much?

I was going to pick up a Tesla (pending what the v10f turns out to be), but maybe I shouldn't consider it?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

That control board is SUPER impressive.  I don't understand why GotWay does not follow suit on that respect.

More discussions about that replacement and also more info about that board:

8 hours ago, SuperSport said:

That control board is SUPER impressive.  I don't understand why GotWay does not follow suit on that respect.

You and me both :confused1:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, King Llama said:

Super helpful video @Marty Backe. I just took apart my 14D last night to try and replace the battery, and I completely agree with you about the pad removal being a destructive process.

Never looked inside a Gotway wheel, but this is the minimum manufacturing quality I would expect for a product like an EUC. I build a lot of RC planes and cars, and these are all standard connectors. Am I asking too much?

I was going to pick up a Tesla (pending what the v10f turns out to be), but maybe I shouldn't consider it?

No, you're not asking too much.

I have hundreds of miles on my Tesla with zero problems. That being said, if your priority is internal build quality, don't buy a Gotway wheel. But if you want the longest range highest performance wheels being made, buy Gotway. Unfortunately, at present you can't have both :crying:

• Like 1

On ‎09‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 12:06 AM, DaveThomasPilot said:

So, charge doctor (or new control board) is what you need, I"m afraid.

i have heard about charge doctors so many times!

what is it and what is it used for and how to use it?

i saw one video. but not with a lot of info

title "charge doctor improve euc battery lifetimrs double, make your battery last 3000cycles indtead of 500"

I had an overcharge issue on the 14C last year in spring after doing the same thing leaving the wheel on the charger for too long.  I blamed it on the aftermarket charger, but I didn't check the actual voltages.  I discharged it by riding it very carefully with had support.  I f I remember right while moving the wheel was OK because the battery voltage would drop under load just enough that it was happy.  Did you use the stock charger?  If I remember right at the time I was not the only one that had the problem. 

Edited by FreeRide

19 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

I had an overcharge issue on the 14C last year in spring after doing the same thing leaving the wheel on the charger for too long.  I blamed it on the aftermarket charger, but I didn't check the actual voltages.  I discharged it by riding it very carefully with had support.  I f I remember right while moving the wheel was OK because the battery voltage would drop under load just enough that it was happy.  Did you use the stock charger?  If I remember right at the time I was not the only one that had the problem. 

As I indicated in this thread and as shown in the video, I brought the battery down to ~90-percent level and the issue never went away. The app also went crazy if moving the wheel only an inch or so. Yes, stock charger.

I installed a new board and the problem resolved itself. The stock charger continues to function normally.