New Mten3 Color Scheme in Progress

1 minute ago, BoisDeFruit said:

Just tried riding this setup. Compared to the non-rubber version, there is much more grip to the pads. Like, it's very grippy now! I even had to adjust to that sensation.

IMG_4253.JPG

On your next rainy day, you should paint the pedals to complete the picture. They are super easy to do compared to everything else.

• Like 2

Just now, Marty Backe said:

On your next rainy day, you should paint the pedals to complete the picture. They are super easy to do compared to everything else.

You're right! At first, I neglected this idea, since I tend to scrape the pavement every now and then during tight turns, especially on Soft pedals (which I now prefer). So it  wouldn't last long :efee96588e: However, black pedals should look cool, and it doesn't seem too hard to repair the coating. :ph34r:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BoisDeFruit said:

You're right! At first, I neglected this idea, since I tend to scrape the pavement every now and then during tight turns, especially on Soft pedals (which I now prefer). So it  wouldn't last long :efee96588e: However, black pedals should look cool, and it doesn't seem too hard to repair the coating. :ph34r:

I've painted a few of my pedals black. Yes, they will get scratched, but in broad strokes they will still look black (or whatever color you use). I don't think it's important to cover the scratches. I do think in this case paint will be better.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Was the rustoleum paint a plastic type paint? RUstoleum is a brand name, they do make a few versions. Those colored wheels look awesome! I was thinking vinyl, but the color coming thru the carbon fiber is to die for! I want that blue chandlerAZ has. only two coats?!! I'll have to give a shot. I dont mind the ring so much, but those pads look great with plastidip. I have a can here, never had much luck. Now im eyeballing these brand new pads and wondering how itll do.  I notice your pad is chunked on one side marty. DO you think that was because of the re-learning curve of stepping on the tiny thing? I kinda hop on mine and that lower pad sometimes gets a shoe on TOP of it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Was the rustoleum paint a plastic type paint? RUstoleum is a brand name, they do make a few versions. Those colored wheels look awesome! I was thinking vinyl, but the color coming thru the carbon fiber is to die for! I want that blue chandlerAZ has. only two coats?!! I'll have to give a shot. I dont mind the ring so much, but those pads look great with plastidip. I have a can here, never had much luck. Now im eyeballing these brand new pads and wondering how itll do.  I notice your pad is chunked on one side marty. DO you think that was because of the re-learning curve of stepping on the tiny thing? I kinda hop on mine and that lower pad sometimes gets a shoe on TOP of it.

This is the paint I used (gloss for the shell and mat for the pads): https://amzn.to/2wJ3Esa

41LlftwyNCL._AC_.jpg

I can't remember exactly what happened to that one bottom pad, but it occurred early in my ownership of the wheel. The other 3 pads have remained undamaged and the damaged one hasn't gotten worse. 2-1/2 years and counting.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:30 PM, Esper said:

So I got the Vinyl on there. But my 1x5 roll wasn't big enough to eliminate the wrinkles. I should have gone with a 3x5 like @Rehab1 did. But here are a couple photos.

R7J6y06.jpg

457K4hq.jpg

Nice! You did a great job stretching around all of the contours and corners. :cheers:

+1 for 3 light coats of plastidip.  Looks good, was really easy. I saw yours was flaking off, Rehab. Did you use platidip or paint? Looks cool tho.  Thanks Marty. I assumed it was of that variety, but Ive got so many cans for metal i wasnt sure. I'll have to wait a few days more of bending the knee to mount it, before I try to paint it and reinstall my trolley.. Fun times! I will give gotway credit on the CUT of the pads for sure. The inset is really nice, tho I've no opinion of the foam yet.

DSCN7814.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Im loving this post!! Nice Ideas.. leanning towards the Plastidip solution, but

Have you guys tried one of there?

... Do you think it would be as hard as what @Esper did... It looked so hard, I wouldnt be able to do it... but maybe these ones are designed to work on curves...

EDIT: oopppssss.... just saw its even the same brand.... thinking on quitting vivyl wrap

VViViD Matte Carrara White Marble Natural Texture Wrap

or

VViViD Chameleon Carbon Fiber Purple to Blue Oil Slick Stretch

also, adding this to the rim? ...anyone?

Car Reflective Safety Warning Conspicuity Tape Strip  (For my msx)

Edited by Sebrios
added info

Went out to do some riding on the mten (24hrs+ after plsticDip). This happened when I made a small misstep, mounting the mten. I am getting better at it, but the mten is a little bit of a mount/dismount adjustment from the 18.This peeled when I simply stepped a little close as I mounted it, but rode off anyhow. The other lower pad is just simply from my shoe during riding.  I sketchily rode a few feet backwards and of course it fell over many times. It seems the plastiDip is flexible enough but it doesnt adhere. I have NEVER had luck from plstiDip, as this is usually the case. The upper pad saw a little abrasion and the plstidip looks great. So far those wondering... the plastiDip is easy and looks great, but it MAY not be a perfect solution. Luckily it seems it will peel clean. I'll just learn to love the dirty grey look. I am reconsidering bothering to paint it at all. Even as I progress, I feel this wheel will be the 'try new things' wheel. As such, i pity its life as it will be a hard one. Either NZroll makes me a cover for it, or I'll just let it become battle scarred. Hell, maybe some tacky stickers in the end. Fwiw, the mten is a tough little bugger to learn to mount. I will have to take a few days off, as its bruising my inner leg, just as the 18 did my first week. I have no doubts my leg will toughen and mounting/dismounting will improve. Couple weeks and itll be a complete non-issue... update: lower pads peeled very easily and very cleanly.  WARNING!! Seems the plstidip IS adhering to the upper pads. You can see in my last picture.. it is pulling the upper pad with it. I will recoat the uppers and just see how it goes, rather than continue to peel. Perhaps over time the bond will weaken, or I'll quit giving a damn.. either way, be careful!

DSCN7815.thumb.JPG.7edb792e8532db7186516b07689a258a.JPGDSCN7816.thumb.JPG.e8066bf09b44e30be935b198a8ccacba.JPG

DSCN7817.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Went out to do some riding on the mten (24hrs+ after plsticDip). This happened when I made a small misstep, mounting the mten. I am getting better at it, but the mten is a little bit of a mount/dismount adjustment from the 18.This peeled when I simply stepped a little close as I mounted it, but rode off anyhow. The other lower pad is just simply from my shoe during riding.  I sketchily rode a few feet backwards and of course it fell over many times. It seems the plastiDip is flexible enough but it doesnt adhere. I have NEVER had luck from plstiDip, as this is usually the case. The upper pad saw a little abrasion and the plstidip looks great. So far those wondering... the plastiDip is easy and looks great, but it MAY not be a perfect solution. Luckily it seems it will peel clean. I'll just learn to love the dirty grey look. I am reconsidering bothering to paint it at all. Even as I progress, I feel this wheel will be the 'try new things' wheel. As such, i pity its life as it will be a hard one. Either NZroll makes me a cover for it, or I'll just let it become battle scarred. Hell, maybe some tacky stickers in the end. Fwiw, the mten is a tough little bugger to learn to mount. I will have to take a few days off, as its bruising my inner leg, just as the 18 did my first week. I have no doubts my leg will toughen and mounting/dismounting will improve. Couple weeks and itll be a complete non-issue... update: lower pads peeled very easily and very cleanly.  WARNING!! Seems the plstidip IS adhering to the upper pads. You can see in my last picture.. it is pulling the upper pad with it. I will recoat the uppers and just see how it goes, rather than continue to peel. Perhaps over time the bond will weaken, or I'll quit giving a damn.. either way, be careful!

DSCN7815.thumb.JPG.7edb792e8532db7186516b07689a258a.JPGDSCN7816.thumb.JPG.e8066bf09b44e30be935b198a8ccacba.JPG

DSCN7817.JPG

Yeah, I think paint is a better solution for the pads. Paint really adheres to the pad - I've had zero issues.

You may have already seen this, but I like to post my Mten3 mounts video to show how easy it should be

• Like 1

It always seems easy once you figure it out :) I was worried paint would flake off, oh well. Moot point now. Aside from the bruising, Ive got mounting figured out. At 6' 3", you really gotta rely on bending the knee inwards to keep the wheel stable on one foot. Stopping is easier, you just gotta come to a COMPLETE stop, or at least more so than the bigger. Thanks for the advice, perhaps my next pads will see paint.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

It seems the plastiDip is flexible enough but it doesnt adhere.

I’ve used plastic dip in the past and had similar issues. I have since covered my pads with a thin cowhide. 

49165791343_12907405ae_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’ve used plastic dip in the past and had similar issues. I have since covered my pads with a thin cowhide. 

THAT would have been nice to know.... YESTERDAY!! lol