Buy a KS-16s now or wait for the new models?

brjohnso

I bought one of the $299 Segway S1's on Amazon a month or two ago, and I've been having a blast with it. I'm comfortable riding, and am thinking about getting a "real" wheel with more speed, range, and stability. I've had my eye on the KS-16-s as being the right combination of range, power, and speed without being too heavy. However, there are some new wheels coming out like the Z10 and the KS-18L that might be interesting as well. Would it be better to wait for the new wheels and consider one of them? Will the KS-16s come down in price when the new wheels become available? Is the King Song line all going to 80+ volts like 18L? Will the 60V stuff be obsolete? Or should I just go ahead and get the KS-16s? Opinions? 

You can hardly lose with the KS16s.  I you want something better than the S1 and you're ready to buy, then buy it.  If you're not ready to buy yet, you can wait.  Ofcourse when the Z0 and 18L are available there will probably be "newer yet" wheels announced that you could also wait for.

As for the 60V stuff becoming obsolete, don't worry about it, the availability of 84V+ EUCs does not lower the quality or reliability of the 67.2V KS16s.  And notice the Z10 has lower voltage than KS16s.

Similar decision I had to make. I got a starter EUC and quickly realized I wanted to upgrade. Sounds like you have settled on a fine machine choice. :)

I also waited about 2 months to upgrade, and if I had known what I was missing I would have done it sooner. I am betting that when the new machines come out, you might also pick up a good used 16S for much less. But getting a new unit from a reputable dealer is good idea too.

It's going to be hard to get me off my 16S, even with the new machines coming out. I really like the 18L, but the 16S suits my needs for speed, distance and portability. It might be nice to have the 18L...mostly for it's higher speed top end, but I know I don't really need it. And it's not as portable as my 16S is. For me, it packs a lot of features in a medium size EUC. 

You won’t go wrong getting the 16S, it’s a great all around wheel and still not too big and heavy so it’s not too bad if you have to lug it around for any reason. The new wheels like the 18L and the Z10 are going to be heavier so since you mentioned weight was a factor, I’d lean towards a 16 inch wheel like the 16S or GW ACM2.

I like my 18S for my longer cruise type rides, but my 16S is more fun and easy for anything less than about 20or 25 Miles. I tend to use the 16S more just for the fun factor.

I just went through the same thing in this thread 

i decided to get a used ks14c (I was looking at an s1 too) and decided to wait for the z10 to release.

In a couple months, if the z10 had awesome reviews, I would probably kick myself for being impatient :)

i would definetly reccomend you wait for the ks18L

if you want an avergage good wheel then the ks16s is for you

but if you want to step it up and get something with a lot of extra range and performance then the ks18l is a safe bet. but wait and see until more tests are made on it

Archived