App is lying.

When riding at max speed (which one of course does) It overestimates the range three or four times. Had 16, got 4.

Real range is something like 10 km. How can I recalibrate it or have it take current use into account when calculating range?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, exoplanet said:

When riding at max speed (which one of course does) It overestimates the range three or four times. Had 16, got 4.

Real range is something like 10 km. How can I recalibrate it or have it take current use into account when calculating range?

Basically, you can't.  10km is very low though.  Do you mind if I ask what your weight is and what kind of terrain and outdoor temperature you tested that max range in?  I can get a lot more than 10km on my S1.

i have  C+ and get about 8 miles out of a full charge. I am 6'4" and weight 260, so i am maxing out the stats for my machine, I have about 30 hours of wheel time and am just getting comfortable with my control so i keep it slow. My average speed for a run is under 5MPH.  I only expect that 8 mile number to decrease as I gain skill and demand more from my wheel. 

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, exoplanet said:

i go 22 kmh constantly. also i would addthat the wheel really cant do more than 8 in deep snow.

Why ask a question like this on the forum when you don't provide enough initial information?  You haven't even mentioned which wheel you are riding.  And after saying it only goes 10km, you leave out the important piece of the story that you are testing this range in deep snow. 

What wheel are you talking about?  What's your weight and what was the ambient temperature during your range test?  If you're heavy, riding in -15C and riding through deep snow, your range will be extremely limited and that is normal.

You are right.

I think wheels should show the real range at whatever type of use you have. This would of course require some input. weight and wind facing area. then the app could use gps to estimate range.

My point was that as long as the wheels and apps are simple, range should be stated in real world use terms. I ride at 20 kmh and have a 340 wh battery. I can ride 11 or 12 km at 20kmh before slowdown at warmer temperatures. with bare conditions and cold, I can ride 10 km. With snow you have to plow through and cold the wheel can go 8 km. This is air distance. not ground. However the 11 km is a fairly straight line.

If normal use gives 10 km, then the app shouldnt display 30 km.

The wheel should be advertised with range at different uses.

14 hours ago, exoplanet said:

You are right.

I think wheels should show the real range at whatever type of use you have. This would of course require some input. weight and wind facing area. then the app could use gps to estimate range.

I like this idea.  The rider could create a profile and input their weight and the software would adjust the predicted range with that number factored in.  At present I think the range is just calculated based on current battery voltage, but I don't think it would be too hard to design a more accurate system that takes rider weight, riding style and battery temperature into account.

The problem with range on EUCS, electric skateboards etc. is that manufacturers are stuck in a world of exaggerated range claims by all the other manufacturers.  If they all claim an unattainable 30km per charge and one manufacturer steps out and claims a real world, genuine 18km, their wheel will look inferior to the others in the eyes of many prospective buyers.  In the world of two way radios (walkie talkies) it's even more extreme.  Most of them claim communication distances of 30km when in real life only 1-3km is achievable.  But many customers look for the biggest number when buying, even though it's not true.  All the main manufactures of EUCs and similar devices really need to get together and agree to some real world test standards and turn down their range estimates to realistic ones. Testing the range with a 90lb rider on flat smooth surface in a windless 20C environment, cruising at 70% throttle with no stops and extremely gentle acceleration is not realistic, though it will yield the best range. 

On 13/03/2018 at 1:26 AM, RooMiniPro said:

Why ask a question like this on the forum when you don't provide enough initial information?  You haven't even mentioned which wheel you are riding.

We now think EVERYTHING @exoplanet has been writing on this forum is complete rubbish, it looks quite likely he does not own any EUC and is possibly a child. He has now started to become extremely obstructive and is creating multiple accounts.

This, and any further accounts he tries to create will be closed down and I have locked this thread as his descriptions of what was happening to “his” Ninebot are very likely to be complete lies. 

• Keith locked this topic