Jump to content
s.m.

Repairs and mods on my GT16

Recommended Posts

Fabulous work, I love the texture. I’m still really enjoying my gt, it’s terrific.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very, very impressive, paint should hold better than OEM, I assume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressive.  Very nice work.  Would love to know which lights you choose, and the link to them.   Getting a better result at 1/10th the price.  That's the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this one seems to be the best : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00VHKJVRU/

while this one is not bright at all : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B077GQRQ65/

I did not mesure, but its 18w (which I don't believe) has the same brightness as the original LED from GT16.

Unfortunately the Cops seized my loved GT16 <_< and I hope I will get it back later this year - but I do'nt know, yet IF I WILL EVER GET IT BACK ...

I contacted my lawyer, directly and now I have to wait 4 to 8 weeks to get any new info and I will spend a minimum of €900,- (for lawyer) plus a fine at unknown height.

So for now all modification plans are stopped until further ...

IMG_OC_20180311_133537_DRO.jpg

Edited by s.m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, s.m. said:

Unfortunately the Cops seized my loved GT16

Oh Dear! That's terrible.  What a shame.  All that work and now it's gone. Sometimes I wonder why we (in countries where EUCs are illegal) even bother.  I think I'll cross Germany off my European-visit list. You can honestly tell the judge, German law is hurting tourism, and quote me.

Good luck. But I'm afraid that even if you get your wheel back, you will feel like you have a target on your back, every time you ride it.  the same cops are out there, and seeing you wheel will be like a big F.you to them, and cops don't like being told, F.you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Now I have ridden my new rockwheels a few kilometers (~1000km's each) and some day I was hitting a stone really hard while the tire pressure was a little bit too low.

The result was a damaged rim and a bent motor axle.

UTB8Zq_wo1vJXKJkSajhq6A7aFXaF.thumb.jpg.354ca33a30d1be1a516b8cc99c3fcee1.jpg

My attempt to repair the rim resulted in a crack in the aluminium - sorry, no photo yet.

But fortunately @Scatcat sold me all his old GT16 stuff and I planned to use his V2 motor instead of mine.

IMG_20190418_194724.thumb.jpg.0efecf4c3889721c731f26f122c82d0d.jpg

But as I dismanteled his blue GT16 I first realized slightly different connectors as on my V3 -  the motor power did not have a MT60 connector and the hallsensor connector was mounted in opposite direction - but then I found the cable damaged on the neuralgic position where it leaves the motor and goes upside on a direction of 90 degrees with nearly no radius.

So I decided to dismantle the motor to just use the rim first, and later on (some day in the far future) I can replace the whole cable set from Scatcat's stator. I first bent the axle on my stator in the right direction by hand with a tolerance of maybe less than 0.1mm (exactly 1mm on 50cm measuring distance) then I cleaned everything very well (mainly Scatcat's rim) and put my stator in.

IMG_20190421_181806.jpg.ee6a794f5363bbeb850a588eb0a4fba1.jpgIMG_20190421_192432.jpg.d4f7255595439089eea8c3f0125059a7.jpg

I found the hole for the valve had a very sharp edge so I fixed this, too

IMG_20190421_212918.thumb.jpg.a71a52876ff0c6db6ad40f152b7db819.jpgIMG_20190421_213019.thumb.jpg.0f9447a342b699dbb1278ee2f691b805.jpg

Because I love wet terrain I sealed everything:

  IMG_20190421_204124.thumb.jpg.776f596c9771b9f50e9fae299b0add4d.jpgIMG_20190421_204935.thumb.jpg.194e2a3f6469b6d2805d8454aa8d7576.jpgIMG_20190421_205340.thumb.jpg.2bba7e54ecd1eb83a1a6a9586b552130.jpgIMG_20190421_215951.jpg.55d527e3812972ab78025c38eae80dce.jpgIMG_20190421_221633.jpg.d4cbcebc6f399ec2647883ec55b4969d.jpg

 

 

BUT NOW THE BEST PART:

The new tire on my GT16 motor is a premium 16x2.5" where you can put your tools and screws on (I think this is for better torque in winter)

HTB1an1ASpXXXXcKXVXXq6xXFXXXG.thumb.jpg.d4bd569156ee10a7d05181e6df452703.jpgIMG_20190421_214818.thumb.jpg.fc3d04c4042ba2b0d423a72af1c07893.jpg

 

IMG_20190422_174531.thumb.jpg.0e2e72884657965f34d1cc920edae3ed.jpg

I just had to rise the shell +18mm (another story) and now I have a kind of GT18.

Notice: the photo gives a slightly wrong impression - the right wheel has a flat tire at the moment. And @Scatcat I think you recognize your spiked footpads - BEST GRIP EVER !

The few kilometers on my first testride were a joy because this tire is really excellent and feels really good on rough terrain.

Now I'm angry on myself as I only ordered one of these because of the high price - but now I know that I need a second one for my other GT16 and a third one just to be prepared ...

 

 

Edited by s.m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, s.m. said:

Now I have ridden my new rockwheels a few kilometers (~1000km's each) and some day I was hitting a stone really hard while the tire pressure was a little bit too low.

The result was a damaged rim and a bent motor axle.

UTB8Zq_wo1vJXKJkSajhq6A7aFXaF.thumb.jpg.354ca33a30d1be1a516b8cc99c3fcee1.jpg

My attempt to repair the rim resulted in a crack in the aluminium - sorry, no photo yet.

But fortunately @Scatcat sold me all his old GT16 stuff and I planned to use his V2 motor instead of mine.

IMG_20190418_194724.thumb.jpg.0efecf4c3889721c731f26f122c82d0d.jpg

But as I dismanteled his blue GT16 I first realized slightly different connectors as on my V3 -  the motor power did not have a MT60 connector and the hallsensor connector was mounted in opposite direction - but then I found the cable damaged on the neuralgic position where it leaves the motor and goes upside on a direction of 90 degrees with nearly no radius.

So I decided to dismantle the motor to just use the rim first, and later on (some day in the far future) I can replace the whole cable set from Scatcat's stator. I first bent the axle on my stator in the right direction by hand with a tolerance of maybe less than 0.1mm (exactly 1mm on 50cm measuring distance) then I cleaned everything very well (mainly Scatcat's rim) and put my stator in.

IMG_20190421_181806.jpg.ee6a794f5363bbeb850a588eb0a4fba1.jpgIMG_20190421_192432.jpg.d4f7255595439089eea8c3f0125059a7.jpg

I found the hole for the valve had a very sharp edge so I fixed this, too

IMG_20190421_212918.thumb.jpg.a71a52876ff0c6db6ad40f152b7db819.jpgIMG_20190421_213019.thumb.jpg.0f9447a342b699dbb1278ee2f691b805.jpg

Because I love wet terrain I sealed everything:

  IMG_20190421_204124.thumb.jpg.776f596c9771b9f50e9fae299b0add4d.jpgIMG_20190421_204935.thumb.jpg.194e2a3f6469b6d2805d8454aa8d7576.jpgIMG_20190421_205340.thumb.jpg.2bba7e54ecd1eb83a1a6a9586b552130.jpgIMG_20190421_215951.jpg.55d527e3812972ab78025c38eae80dce.jpgIMG_20190421_221633.jpg.d4cbcebc6f399ec2647883ec55b4969d.jpg

 

 

BUT NOW THE BEST PART:

The new tire on my GT16 motor is a premium 16x2.5" where you can put your tools and screws on (I think this is for better torque in winter)

HTB1an1ASpXXXXcKXVXXq6xXFXXXG.thumb.jpg.d4bd569156ee10a7d05181e6df452703.jpgIMG_20190421_214818.thumb.jpg.fc3d04c4042ba2b0d423a72af1c07893.jpg

 

IMG_20190422_174531.thumb.jpg.0e2e72884657965f34d1cc920edae3ed.jpg

I just had to rise the shell +18mm (another story) and now I have a kind of GT18.

Notice: the photo gives a slightly wrong impression - the right wheel has a flat tire at the moment. And @Scatcat I think you recognize your spiked footpads - BEST GRIP EVER !

The few kilometers on my first testride were a joy because this tire is really excellent and feels really good on rough terrain.

Now I'm angry on myself as I only ordered one of these because of the high price - but now I know that I need a second one for my other GT16 and a third one just to be prepared ...

 

 

Well the spikes are best-grip studs! :D  I only screwed in a few, to avoid the @Rehab1 experience, with feet glued to the pedals when you really need to jump off...

Nice work on the motor. The connector problem didn't event cross my mind. I really hope everything will work out fine.

That is a really awesome tire!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know if there is something similar in tyre size18x2.5"?

 My KS18L stock tire is starting to show some wear at 1900ish Km of use. So I am starting to warm up to getting an extra tyre and tube.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I don't - I think there must be a similar one, maybe not on Aliexpress. A dedicated tire-shop should be the better address (but not any standard bycicle-tire shop)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Well the spikes are best-grip studs! :D  I only screwed in a few, to avoid the @Rehab1 experience, with feet glued to the pedals when you really need to jump off...

Nice work on the motor. The connector problem didn't event cross my mind. I really hope everything will work out fine.

That is a really awesome tire!

May I ask you for some more details @Scatcat regarding spikes please?

I think I'm interested to fix some,and I'd love to know what to use,how to fix and what to avoid :)

Thank you in advance :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

May I ask you for some more details @Scatcat regarding spikes please?

I think I'm interested to fix some,and I'd love to know what to use,how to fix and what to avoid :)

Thank you in advance :)

http://www.best-grip.com/site/en/prodotti/tutti-i-prodotti/

I used the 1000 variant. I used the same studs for my 18x2.5 motocross tire during the sleet and snow this winter. While the racket going on clean asphalt is awesome, so is the grip on ice, snow, and other nuisances... Actually the carbide steel is hard enough and sharp enough to secure a good grip even on asphalt and concrete...

I screwed in four to six such studs into the rubber on each pedal on the GT16, two in front and two under the heal to secure my stand in both directions and the last ones to the sides. More than that felt like overdoing it, making it too hard to move my feet when needed, but those few made me much less wary in hard turns and jumps. Especially in wet conditions when not even the grip tape is flawless.

There are other brands than best grip, but I'd be careful to choose one that has the "flat" screw, somewhat like an ice drill/wooden drill, so that there are no points towards the inside of the tire. For the pedals I suppose that makes less of a difference, I chose the best-grips because I had them lying around.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

http://www.best-grip.com/site/en/prodotti/tutti-i-prodotti/

I used the 1000 variant. I used the same studs for my 18x2.5 motocross tire during the sleet and snow this winter. While the racket going on clean asphalt is awesome, so is the grip on ice, snow, and other nuisances... Actually the carbide steel is hard enough and sharp enough to secure a good grip even on asphalt and concrete...

I screwed in four to six such studs into the rubber on each pedal on the GT16, two in front and two under the heal to secure my stand in both directions and the last ones to the sides. More than that felt like overdoing it, making it too hard to move my feet when needed, but those few made me much less wary in hard turns and jumps. Especially in wet conditions when not even the grip tape is flawless.

There are other brands than best grip, but I'd be careful to choose one that has the "flat" screw, somewhat like an ice drill/wooden drill, so that there are no points towards the inside of the tire. For the pedals I suppose that makes less of a difference, I chose the best-grips because I had them lying around.

Thank you very much for that information and the link!

I love this idea of improved grip, but I won't do it myself,unless I could follow some YouTube tutorial ...

I've never been dealing with any spikes in my life, and I've checked the spikes on that website you've kindly provided...

I can see the 1000 variant, but have no clue how to fix those spikes to the Ninebot One E+ pedal...

The top is made with aluminium...

Should I drill the exact holes into that aluminium, and then screwed into those spikes..?

I've never have done anything like this, lol :)

Thank you anyway @Scatcat :)

I just need to see somebody doing it, if you know I mean :)

Then I can follow :)

Thank you again, I've saved the website :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, PogArt Artur said:

Thank you very much for that information and the link!

I love this idea of improved grip, but I won't do it myself,unless I could follow some YouTube tutorial ...

I've never been dealing with any spikes in my life, and I've checked the spikes on that website you've kindly provided...

I can see the 1000 variant, but have no clue how to fix those spikes to the Ninebot One E+ pedal...

The top is made with aluminium...

Should I drill the exact holes into that aluminium, and then screwed into those spikes..?

I've never have done anything like this, lol :)

Thank you anyway @Scatcat :)

I just need to see somebody doing it, if you know I mean :)

Then I can follow :)

Thank you again, I've saved the website :) 

I have never owned a ninebot e+. But looking at it, it seems to be the same style as on my MSX: That is, a one piece bottom then rubber then a screwed on aluminium plate with slats for the rubber to stick out.

I guess it would be fairly trivial to screw the studs into the rubber in the front and back, they should fit just fine. They look a lot larger on the site than they are in reality, and you can order a handy "bit" with the studs for using with a bit screwdriver - electric or manual. Screwing them in is no harder than screwing in a normal screw, as long as you secure the stud well into the bit and keep an even medium strong pressure when you screw it in (to avoid unnecessary tearing in the rubber).

So unless the slats in the aluminium is more narrow than they look, it should be doable in under five minutes - ten if you need to breathe deeply between the studs ;) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Amazing work guys, lots of respect!

One option for increased foot pedal grip is to replace the stock grip (~120 grit) with a very rough 40 grit sanding sheet. Choice of glue depends on the pedal, but a construction glue/mass should do nicely even on rubber.

Many people who tried my wheel almost fell when unmounting since the shoe stayed on so well.

Edited by mrelwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I have never owned a ninebot e+. But looking at it, it seems to be the same style as on my MSX: That is, a one piece bottom then rubber then a screwed on aluminium plate with slats for the rubber to stick out.

I guess it would be fairly trivial to screw the studs into the rubber in the front and back, they should fit just fine. They look a lot larger on the site than they are in reality, and you can order a handy "bit" with the studs for using with a bit screwdriver - electric or manual. Screwing them in is no harder than screwing in a normal screw, as long as you secure the stud well into the bit and keep an even medium strong pressure when you screw it in (to avoid unnecessary tearing in the rubber).

So unless the slats in the aluminium is more narrow than they look, it should be doable in under five minutes - ten if you need to breathe deeply between the studs ;) 

Thank you very much!

So they go into those rubber slots, so no drilling any additional holes is necessary...

This is what I wasn't sure.

You're very accurate regarding the pedal structure on E+, it can be easy done :)

Because of you I'm keep thinking of little addition of the spikes, though.

I think in 99% I won't do it, as the extra coarse grip tape should be more than fine, for grip improvement, but there's 1% that I might try to fit maybe three spikes only per pedal, at the front,back and a side...

But I know already it won't be necessary at all :)

Thank you for keen explanation, it seems to be straight forward job :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...