The Monster tried to kill me !

Pingouin

Hi guys,

I'm just back from a little ride with the Gotway Monster, everything was fine, I was cruising at around 30kph, I slowed down when going through the green pedestrian light on the bike lane, but at the moment the Monster rolled on a little bumb, it started to wobble severly back & forth, I fell on my my knee, right hand & shoulder, I still feel the pain a little. Fortunately I was not too badly injured, I just killed my phone protection and cracked the shell of the Monster.

I still can't understand why it behaved like that ? :(@Marty Backe you experienced the same issue with your MS3 didn't you ?

ZYwRTzH.jpg

ZUZqeRy.jpg

9LaBJ99.jpg

Glad that you survived the Monster. My MSuper failure was caused by firmware. The 'oscillation' was a fraction of a second, followed by a beep, and then cutout.

Was yours a mechanical problem with the Monster or an instability caused by hitting the bump. Do you think it was the Monster itself or something that could happen with any wheel if you hit a bump at the wrong angle, etc.

The Monster has a really good record of not cutting out on people or doing other strange things.

Glad you're only slightly hurt.  Sounds like wobble to me.  As we discussed recently more specifically gyroscopic precession (spin angular momentum, chasing the torque applied to the axle by uneven pressure from the feet, caused by hitting an unevenness in the path of travel, phew!!)  Basically, if one side of the axle rises or falls in relation to the other, while the wheel is spinning) the wheel wants to turn in the direction of the fallen axle end.  Add in correction to the equation, by pressing down on the rising axle, to compensate, and the wheel wants to turn in the other direction.  Rinse and repeat, then face plant.

In this remarkably well produced video, the male model:whistling: is simply moving the axle up and down.  Without gyroscopic precession, the camera should just see the front surface of the wheel.  But, as precession turns the wheel, the sides of the motor are clearly visible.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot; the Hotel Continental called, they want their slippers back.;)

I'm not sure if it's the same, but as a datapoint I have seen the "wobble severly back & forth" on my Tesla twice since getting it. I have only noticed it so far only when coming to a stop, and typically at lower speeds. I am not sure what causes it, but feel that a slight bump, or a slight angle during deceleration might have something to do with it. Part of me feels like this is due to some loose hall effects sensor as it seems to happen on various wheels, but that's purely guessing.

I think it might kill me too one of these days ?

12 hours ago, Pingouin said:

at the moment the Monster rolled on a little bumb, it started to wobble severly back & forth

Try to avoid the bumps...slow down...speed bumps can be tamed by riding into them at a 45 degree angle with knees bent.

12 hours ago, Pingouin said:

still can't understand why it behaved like that ?

It's not about behavior..it's about riding on a single wheel with electronics that keep you upright.

I went for a night ride a few hours ago. My plan was to take the train to my destination and then ride back. While waiting at the train stop some guy walked up to me and started talking. I decided to see if I could change his behavior. I said 'leave me alone!' He reeled at the sound of my voice as if I'd stabbed him with a knife'. Then he got on the phone with someone. He said to the person on the phone 'he's got that round thing, he's got no friends, he's got a big stomach, he's a loser, etc, etc. ' The train was approaching. I said 'shut the f..k up! He reeled again in verbal revolt to his listener. I said 'leave me alone' from inches away from his face a few more times. We both got into the same train where he knew train etiquette and simply said something suggesting I have  a miserable rest of my life.

Bumps in the road can be avoided but assh...s move in for the kill when you least expect it. Hence, fun with behavior mod.

I'm sure my Monster had something to do with his approach. The rest of the night and ride went well.

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Was yours a mechanical problem with the Monster or an instability caused by hitting the bump. Do you think it was the Monster itself or something that could happen with any wheel if you hit a bump at the wrong angle, etc.

Hi Marty thank you for your answer, the bump was really little, I'll try to take a picture of it this afternoon. I really don't think it's a normal behavior because I've passed on this bump a few times with the ACM, Monster, V8 and they never failed befored, could be the yesterdays temperature (-5°C).

16 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sounds like oscillation? It seems all EUC controllers can be susceptible to this under the right circumstances?

What's the production date of your Monster?

It seemed to be an oscillation to me but with very wide aplitude. Not sure if this can happen to any EUC board I hope not. The production date of the Monster is December 2016 but the motherboard was changed in July 2017.

5 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Try to avoid the bumps...slow down...speed bumps can be tamed by riding into them at a 45 degree angle with knees bent.

I was not a serious bump, I'll try to take a picture to show you guys, I always slow down before major bumps & cracks.

5 hours ago, Kevin Grandon said:

I'm not sure if it's the same, but as a datapoint I have seen the "wobble severly back & forth" on my Tesla twice since getting i

This is certainly not a normal behavior, I had a Tesla & it never had this symptom even if I was hard on it.

For what it's worth, I had similar experience twice on my old MCM4, both after hitting a minor bump while switching from accelerating to breaking. I think it's an issue with the self-balancing loop in the firmware that under some, hard to replicate, conditions causes crazy behaviour.

3 hours ago, Pingouin said:

could be the yesterdays temperature (-5°C)

That might be an explanation! @LanghamP reported the gyro sensor going crazy when the wheel was too cold (from a night in the car trunk), and maybe it's currently cold enough so the board cools down fast enough for this to affect your ride.

How long after the Monster left indoors did this happen?

18 hours ago, Kevin Grandon said:

I'm not sure if it's the same, but as a datapoint I have seen the "wobble severly back & forth" on my Tesla twice since getting it. I have only noticed it so far only when coming to a stop, and typically at lower speeds. I am not sure what causes it, but feel that a slight bump, or a slight angle during deceleration might have something to do with it. Part of me feels like this is due to some loose hall effects sensor as it seems to happen on various wheels, but that's purely guessing.

I think it might kill me too one of these days:roflmao:

But seriously, when braking one leans back, which tips the whole assembly (you and the wheel) backwards pivoting around the tire contact patch.  As your feet are above this pivot point, they are now further back than they would be in a normal riding stance.  What you have just created is a backwards shopping trolly castor wheel.  And everyone knows you can't push a castor wheel; the wheel's natural state is to be pulled.  So, I believe, your wobble is the castor effect trying to reestablish itself after an unnatural disturbance, that temporarily reversed the center of force and the center of effort.  Add in gyroscopic precessions (my phrase of the week) and yes, it might actually kill one of us one day.

I have to admit the more I continue to read about gotway unicycles I’m becoming more and more afraid of using them. Doesn’t seem like kingsong or other have these sort of issues... what am I getting myself into... ugh!!! 

Also, why not protective gear? I’ve been thinking I’m over doing it with knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, ankle protection, helmet and a motorcycle armor vest... is this too much protective gear?

9 minutes ago, Wldcohso said:

I have to admit the more I continue to read about gotway unicycles I’m becoming more and more afraid of using them. Doesn’t seem like kingsong or other have these sort of issues... what am I getting myself into... ugh!!! 

To talk about this ....we coud build a complete new forum or at least subforum...

There are opinions saying, yes they have a serious quality problem, and there are also opinions saying that GWs are just performance wheels.

I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle ;-)

So i would advise to build you own opinion by reading as lot as you can....

12 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

To talk about this ....we coud build a complete new forum or at least subforum...

There are opinions saying, yes they have a serious quality problem, and there are also opinions saying that GWs are just performance wheels.

I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle ;-)

So i would advise to build you own opinion by reading as lot as you can....

Well I can without a doubt say there was a quality control issue with my very first unicycle purchase which was a gotway Tesla. There was this loud sound when I rolled it around and even louder if you stood on it. Screws where screwed through the casing of the internal part of the wheel. My Tesla was ridden nearly 2 miles before I could ride it but was told it was to test the unit out before shipping it to me BUT my unit appeared used with marks and scuffs around it. 

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqMMuB5zOktW6nduAhvHuaf537Kc 

8191424A-FE6A-4F41-B419-EA60D77B8D15.jpeg

i don’t think anybody that has had a lifetime of experience buying a ton of stuff would ever think to themselves, i really need a quality whatever, i’m gonna look to china for that. in our throw away civilization because of our rapidly advancing technology, china is actually a good fit. viet nam is worse. Austria is good, but difficult to work on, like wwii german tanks. 

30 minutes ago, Wldcohso said:

Also, why not protective gear? I’ve been thinking I’m over doing it with knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, ankle protection, helmet and a motorcycle armor vest... is this too much protective gear?

People (myself included) will post about problems. People don't usually post, "everything is working beautifully".

So don't get hung up about the problems that you read about. Most people are out enjoying their Gotway wheels.

You should visit the Riding Safety section of the forum for insights into safety gear and what people wear

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/58-riding-safety-and-protective-gear/

13 minutes ago, Wldcohso said:

Well I can without a doubt say there was a quality control issue with my very first unicycle purchase which was a gotway Tesla. There was this loud sound when I rolled it around and even louder if you stood on it. Screws where screwed through the casing of the internal part of the wheel. My Tesla was ridden nearly 2 miles before I could ride it but was told it was to test the unit out before shipping it to me BUT my unit appeared used with marks and scuffs around it. 

Wait...

Exactly THAT, another user reported recently.....scuffs and marks and also, that the unit was "tested" before delivery.....

Did you still have it ...or returned it back?

14 minutes ago, Wldcohso said:

When you buy a wheel from EWheels it comes pristine from the factory. The potential downside is that you may receive a wheel that is DOA, but my understanding is that's rare.

Archived