Yearly EUC meet convention.

Scott Henley

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, YoshiSkySun said:

at CES last month in Vegas and they both mentioned that law enforcements didn’t even bat an eye.

I was there too and riding around the Strip was a blast.  However, I did get yelled at by one cop (who was working the street patrol during the Pence motorcade) because I was talking on my phone while riding.  As I went by he yelled "This is a hands-free state!" or something like that.

It might have been a joke.  I didn't stop to find out.

As far as shipping wheels, I believe it's about $40-50 for one-way ground shipping for most wheels across the USA. Not cheap but not terrible either.

Talk to @Jason McNeil — he might be interested in getting in on this and offering a lending/renting program for EUContm attendees with some of his used/refurb wheels.  I'd be happy to bring a few up from Tucson.  Maybe @Marty Backe @Stan Onymous @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" and other SoCal riders would be willing to bring a few to lend too?

Getting your body to Vegas from anywhere in the USA is pretty cheap, so that's good. If you're buying a new wheel it might make sense to have it shipped there so that you don't need to ship it both ways. If you buy from ewheels.com maybe you could convince @Jason McNeil to come into town with it. :D

Vegas sucks for bike riding in the city. There are really no bike lanes anywhere near the strip. We had to ride on the sidewalks of the strip to get to the CES convention area. @Michael Vu had some trails mapped out to go to Hoover dam, so there may be some good riding to be had around Vegas.

I say we start with a National Unicycle Day and have a cause like - unicycle across the USA one wheel at a time. The distance across the USA is something like 3600 miles for a bicycle route. If we get 36 people to do 100 miles in a day or 72 to do some mixture of that or a gross(144) of unicycles doing 25 miles or some mixture there of. We could get some fun publicity for that. That would be or could be documented with a various sundry of EUC apps, and other metrics gps devices, and sent to the appropriate documenting authorities.  :rolleyes:

Once we can show everyone that these things can go man go and not blow up, we can start to be separated from the hoverboard fire  :furious:scandals. Documentary films and Tourist promos are produced all over the world, and there are ways and procedures to get the batteries flown on certain routes around the world. Sure the batteries now are smaller, but not all cameras have the smaller batteries, and power banks are sometimes required in certain situations which are similar in size to EUCs. Then it will be easier to ship them air freight to an actual Unicycle Convention.

@Stan Onymous has a point about Las Vegas riding. In general the sidewalks are lame, there aren't a lot of trails, and there's a lot of traffic.

But I think the EUCon idea in a major city shouldn't be abandoned. We'd make a bigger impression having everyone in a single city.  It's easy to get media attention for events like that. And I think the logistics of organizing a cross-country ride would be horrendous.

At the Con, imagine several days of high-profile group rides, some half-day training sessions to learn new riding tricks and techniques, a swap meet, new and used EUC sales, try-before-you-buy opportunities, a wheel "teardown" and repair session, etc.  Every ride would become a recruitment video.  Each night we'd have a restaurant picked out and everyone would ride to it. It would be a lot of fun.

Here's my pitch for a location other than Las Vegas:  Arizona has very accommodating laws regarding EUC riding (they're legal anywhere pedestrians can go ... as long as you don't exceed 15 MPH), and Scottsdale/Tempe AZ in particular have some pretty awesome riding. We could easily put together a couple of rides of 30+ miles in the beautiful desert scenery.

With cheap airfares to Phoenix and plenty of hotels and AirBnb in the area, the Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe metro area would be a great place for EUCon.  Shoulder season offers reasonable prices and temperatures in October 2018 or April 2019.

OK, that's my pitch.  Anyone else got a nomination for location?

29 minutes ago, Ombre said:

OK, that's my pitch.  Anyone else got a nomination for location?

I second the nomination for Arizona. It's a beautiful destination,  and as @Ombre said, there are great trails for riding. We could find some place local to receive wheel shipments, as well as potential rentals from eWheels. To have time to get things organized, I suggest a fall 2018 date. 

We have a nomination and a second.  Do we have a motion from the floor for a vote? :whistling:

1 minute ago, dbfrese said:

I second the nomination for Arizona. It's a beautiful destination,  and as @Ombre said, there are great trails for riding. We could find some place local to receive wheel shipments, as well as potential rentals from eWheels. To have time to get things organized, I suggest a fall 2018 date. 

We have a nomination and a second.  Do we have a motion from the floor for a vote? :whistling:

Arizona works for me . Hell, Alaska would be fine . I just want to ride so someone !!

1 hour ago, Ombre said:

Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe metro area would be a great place for EUCon.  Shoulder season offers reasonable prices and temperatures in October 2018 or April 2019.

I love the Idea of a EUCon, dont get me wrong, and since the Southwest Ultimate little Car Show cycles through Tuscon, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Vegas, I would be up for any of these towns as well. They also have the same problem with Portability, and they do get entrants from all over the country. I was hoping to build a little bit of Local interest across the country since it is easier to get a little coverage in the smaller markets. It doesnt have to be the 6 oclock news, it can be any paper hungry for a cool blurb on the future of Transportation.?

Another town to go to to visit for a mini convention would be Monterey, California. They have tons of awesome trails and the city is extremely bicycle friendly. 

Hey, we need a second from a different State. @dbfrese and @Ombre are too close for a National opinion. 

Hey @Scott Henley there are two other people on this forum from North Carolina, and I know the Maryland crew rides a lot.

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

forgive me if this has been discussed, Bob doesn’t wanna go so i haven’t been following, can’t u ship these wheels intact like usps ground or ups or fedex ground ahead of y’alls meet up?

Yes depending on how far and how large the wheel you’re bringing is the cost would range from about $40-$100. I’ve been thinking about some sort of hard shell case specifically for shipping the wheels. Padded , with a lock , like a travel case for road bikes , or golf clubs . Only for EUC .

10 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Yes depending on how far and how large the wheel you’re bringing is the cost would range from about $40-$100. I’ve been thinking about some sort of hard shell case specifically for shipping the wheels. Padded , with a lock , like a travel case for road bikes , or golf clubs . Only for EUC .

holy moley, i’m out of touch. thank you amazon. i didn’t check usps. omg $80 for 40 pounds ground to vegas from tampa, ridiculous. i use to ship office stuff around the country when i move to another market doing site acquisition for wireless. i’d ship a fifty pound box for ten bucks. sorry, i crawl back under my rock. Bob is usually way ahead of me smarts wise. my little s1’s could probably be smuggled on a plane in luggage with the batteries pulled out.

Maybe I'm biased, but I really do think California (Southern California to be exact) would be the perfect venue. Perfect and extremely predictable weather, hundreds of miles of trail riding, beach riding, river riding, mountain riding, mountain road riding, etc. The disadvantage is that it's not central to many people.

Who wants to travel to a location where it might be raining during the event (not me). There is really no other state that can compete with California when considering the weather and possible venues for riding, when planning an event 6-months out.

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Who wants to travel to a location where it might be raining during the event (not me).

That's a good point about the weather. But you won't find a raindrop in Phoenix during our dry seasons either.  Good weather is guaranteed if you pick the right month.

I have to concede that So Cal has the advantage in distance riding and variety, if that turns out to be the focus.  (I'm thinking of @Marty Backe 's comment once saying basically "30 miles is a warmup"! :blink1:)

Personally I see this as an event with lots of activities, as I listed earlier, plus a diversity of riding opportunities.  Some of the riding would be just practicing tricks in plazas and parking lots, for example, because that's what a lot of us are into.

Ultimately, the location will be the determined by whoever decides to organize this.  Talk is cheap, gentlemen.  Who is going to help bake the bread?

Love the idea of this but its not to practical for those of us from Europe. Maybe we need a N America meet and a european meet up. I have to say Paris last year was one of the best weekends ever, just so much fun despite the rain. The french guys @Hansolo and the others were such good hosts...im hoping there will be something similar this year. 

someone's proposing to make a meet-up in Las Fallas de Valencia (Spain). Is a massive celebration with art and fire in the streets. Maybe too massive for a big meetup but the place is nice and available rest of the year for euc ride

20 minutes ago, novazeus said:

y’all should go to bike week in daytona. if @Jason McNeil went with some handrails so u could get these bikers up on them, he’d probably sell out. starts march 9th. check it out.

Tesla’s msuper , ACM2 and monsters . All the performance wheels. I could see that . I have not ridden my triumph since getting my EUC . Partly Bc I haven’t had the time , and it’s been cold . But also Bc EUC is just as fun . 

I’ll throw my hat in for a meet up.  

Weather, terrain, hospitality, cost, and support.  All of these need to be weighed.  

Support will be very important.  Having a wheel failure cruising the north rim or PacPal w no recourse to correct would not be an option.  

Everything from grip tape to an entire new wheel should be available.

On 28/02/2018 at 8:25 PM, nute said:

Love the idea of this but its not to practical for those of us from Europe. Maybe we need a N America meet and a european meet up. I have to say Paris last year was one of the best weekends ever, just so much fun despite the rain. The french guys @Hansolo and the others were such good hosts...im hoping there will be something similar this year. 

I'm in for France (Paris) again or London or Berlin...???

15 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Tesla’s msuper , ACM2 and monsters . All the performance wheels. I could see that . I have not ridden my triumph since getting my EUC . Partly Bc I haven’t had the time , and it’s been cold . But also Bc EUC is just as fun . 

strap ur wheel to ur bike and come on down. u can be the wheel ambassador at daytona. i guarantee u, u will be the toast of the town. spirithoods were kinda new back in 2013, and i could have sold a thousand of them, at least, at that bike week, especially with my two little models i brought with me.E10E8782-217E-4988-AB00-4FED933337B3.jpeg.8312ad647bdb50154ab85422e0d7e3e4.jpeg30C568DF-41A1-42DC-945A-0B2FB39BB6FA.jpeg.22821ae93007e6065dc223d83d1af484.jpegFD18BD36-CF51-40B9-AF95-8F02A6C4B9E4.jpeg.98f1cd08f9caccf9a393a96d718c6184.jpegC3F87FE6-CF21-4EE0-8532-4A4F6B2912ED.jpeg.e293df12647766db3a2afa8b05a8e465.jpeg0A18A601-CFBA-4204-BDE5-94EE9FDDF9EB.jpeg.e6b1a7067691410f865e509a3820eda3.jpeg

Archived