you know what really sucks about these things?

novazeus

having to use a forum to try and figure out if/why the ones u bought are defective because the only ones u have seen and probably will ever see are the ones u bought and the companies that make them have zero support.

Edited by novazeus
too long

7 hours ago, Shad0z said:

this is just pure ranting and no useful info anyone needs to hear...

Easy now.  The community will decide that.  We all have things to get off our chests from time to time. Someone might find something useful in what he had to say.  That's the beauty of free speech, it's eh...free.

See what you did?  He shortened it to one sentence.  Now the only thing remaining of the original post is your veerryy lloonngg quote :facepalm:

EDIT and now, even that's gone. 

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Sam's Club inclusion is your Hope-Barometer? 

i figure if more people get into battery operated transportation, the money will be there for support. while the internet and forums are better than nothing and many times better than manufacturer’s support, it would be nice to have a toll free number to call to troubleshoot ur problem with supposedly some technician. i’m old. i’ve been through this before. cell phones were a bag. i probably won’t live long enough for wheel manufacturers to get it together. some people commute on these things, others view them as fun toys, idk where these will wind up in history. i’ve only seen one wheel that didn’t belong to me in the wild and that was 2015, and not even sure if it was a unicycle or the two wheel variety. are there lots of wheels in seattle?

• Like 1

Great point, important discussion to have.

The QA/warranty/service/repair aspect of this "product" is simply broken.

Particularly on Gotway wheels, the MTBF is too low to prevent resellers from sustaining losses for warranty support costs at the prices these wheels sell for. I hate to say it, but our wheels, especially higher-end models, should sell for several hundred dollars more than they do to properly compensate resellers for adequately supporting their 1-year "warranties," even based merely on two-way shipping costs. And no, the answer isn't that manufacturers should simply cut costs, because we've seen that with Gotway in the past, with outright disastrous results. Skimping on materials, manufacturing, and QA is a recipe for getting someone killed on these things, which I hope to God never happens.

Question: Would people here would pay $300 for a 1-year "advanced" warranty on a $1,500 wheel with ship-and-repair services included? Or $500 for 2 years? I think that starts to get close to the average cost of supporting these wheels the way we believe they should.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i figure if more people get into battery operated transportation, the money will be there for support. while the internet and forums are better than nothing and many times better than manufacturer’s support, it would be nice to have a toll free number to call to troubleshoot ur problem with supposedly some technician. i’m old. i’ve been through this before. cell phones were a bag. i probably won’t live long enough for wheel manufacturers to get it together. some people commute on these things, others view them as fun toys, idk where these will wind up in history. i’ve only seen one wheel that didn’t belong to me in the wild and that was 2015, and not even sure if it was a unicycle or the two wheel variety. are there lots of wheels in seattle?

I've never seen another rider or ridden with anyone. I've heard stories from friends who saw one somewhere, but I've never seen one. There are riders here, some are on the forum, I just haven't ever met up with one. I think it's partly because I don't think my 14c could keep up with lots of the group rides I see on here. I want something bigger though this year, and I'm thinking KS 18 since you recommend it so highly. Was thinking Gotway but looks like they're all just crashing like always still even after we thought maybe they weren't. 

39 minutes ago, who_the said:

Great point, important discussion to have.

The QA/warranty/service/repair aspect of this "product" is simply broken.

Particularly on Gotway wheels, the MTBF is too low to prevent resellers from sustaining losses for warranty support costs at the prices these wheels sell for. I hate to say it, but our wheels, especially higher-end models, should sell for several hundred dollars more than they do to properly compensate resellers for adequately supporting their 1-year "warranties," even based merely on two-way shipping costs. And no, the answer isn't that manufacturers should simply cut costs, because we've seen that with Gotway in the past, with outright disastrous results. Skimping on materials, manufacturing, and QA is a recipe for getting someone killed on these things, which I hope to God never happens.

Question: Would people here would pay $300 for a 1-year "advanced" warranty on a $1,500 wheel with ship-and-repair services included? Or $500 for 2 years? I think that starts to get close to the average cost of supporting these wheels the way we believe they should.

thank you for getting my point.

starting with phone support would be amazing. like being able to call kingsong and say “my wheel is doing this, is this normal, is it safe.?” instead of fishing around a forum and getting responses from 15 year olds. actually sometimes in the old rc helis forums and overclocker forums,15 year olds were smart, but not on this product, imho.

34 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I've never seen another rider or ridden with anyone. I've heard stories from friends who saw one somewhere, but I've never seen one. There are riders here, some are on the forum, I just haven't ever met up with one. I think it's partly because I don't think my 14c could keep up with lots of the group rides I see on here. I want something bigger though this year, and I'm thinking KS 18 since you recommend it so highly. Was thinking Gotway but looks like they're all just crashing like always still even after we thought maybe they weren't. 

for me, if u saw my video in my pasture, i’m 6’ 190 to 200 pounds., and evidently have really boney ankles that don’t like hard plastic (plus i broke one years ago) and the tall shell, which is intimidating at first, really is the most comfortable for me. i’m not walking very far with it and 57 pounds with a good handle beats 50 pound feed bags any day. it’s got a decent tire on it, even though it’s still not high enough load rating, but maybe at it’s size other options might become available when needed. i pump all my tires up a little beyond max pressure. i learned to ride at higher than max pressure, so if i get on a wheel that’s down a little, it’s real obvious the tire is squishy. not had a flat yet. i’ve hit speeds of 15 mph on my road but 10 is about where i’d like to be all the time. my riding gear is military style boots(for my ankles) and my onesies(coveralls) and sam’s extra large leather work gloves(for pavement). my pastures are a pretty good stress test. even at slow speeds, i bet i’d smoke my ks-16s. i just have this battery/charge problem with the ks wheels, that might not be a problem, but no customer support to alleviate my concern, so i’ll just ride them until they stop. i’m hoping the new ninebot fat tire one is decent. i don’t listen to music when i ride, i listen to the wheel, same way i use to ride motorcycles, i want all of my senses working. these aren’t 4 wheel vehicles u can just coast to a stop and call triple “a”. yeah, idk anything about gotway but it does seem like they there’s a correlation between people getting hurt bad and their wheels.

for me, these things are no different than my makita drills. just another tool. i’m in calving season now and i know there’s a bunch of coyotes out there and the more i’m canvassing my ranch, the less brazen the coyotes are about eating the newborns before the mama can protect them. i use to do this on my ktm525exc but because of my prostate cancer, i don’t like to bounce on my perineum.

if these things don’t turn out to be toys/junk, my desire was to have Bob, my Anatolian Shepherd(turkish livestock guard dog) go on patrol with me and be able to glide up on the coyotes and blast them, probably with my fn herstal 45 caliber pistol. i really like a suppressor but $200 tax stamp and u have to wait a year for the permit.

2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Your ks14c is perfectly fine for rides. We rarely go faster than 17mph for the majority of the rides on trails, and even on the pavement rides, the 14c will keep up well enough to not get out of sight for long. We all may have faster wheels, but I for one really dont ride that fast unless I am alone and using it for transportation. Its too difficult to interact with your surroundings and friends when going that fast on a group ride. Range is usually more important than speed for us in So Cal.

The KS18 is a fun wheel/vehicle that is just as fun on roads as it is off roads. Thing is, it takes about 300 miles of riding to get used to what it can, or more accurately wants to do in whatever situations in which you are riding. Its wider, heavier footprint makes it a bit more stable on wet roads than my V8. This year the fields will be fat with product from the manufacturers.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2018 at 10:36 PM, novazeus said:

having to use a forum to try and figure out if/why the ones u bought are defective because the only ones u have seen and probably will ever see are the ones u bought and the companies that make them have zero support.

I think the GREAT thing about them is if purchased from a reliable reseller you really have very little to worry about. . Simply contact them . Trying to get ahold of GW or KS on ones own is near impossible from what I understand but as long as you purchase through a reputable dealer , even after your warranty has expired , you can get reliable advice and service. (Though depending on your location this might mean sending your wheel off) 

• Like 2