Electric Assist Unicycle

codersarepeople

I've been riding my Gotway V3S for about a year now, but after a while it just seemed too...easy. So my friend and I built an electric assist unicycle! That is, a unicycle that can be pedaled like a normal unicycle, but gives electric boost, and doesn't balance itself in any direction. As far as I know, this is only the second one in the world. Not quite on topic for EUCs but I thought some of you might be interested.  Here's the build thread: https://imgur.com/a/1ySZM I'm still learning to ride it, but I hope to film a video of it once the weather clears up a bit :)

28 minutes ago, codersarepeople said:

I've been riding my Gotway V3S for about a year now, but after a while it just seemed too...easy. So my friend and I built an electric assist unicycle! That is, a unicycle that can be pedaled like a normal unicycle, but gives electric boost, and doesn't balance itself in any direction. As far as I know, this is only the second one in the world. Not quite on topic for EUCs but I thought some of you might be interested.  Here's the build thread: https://imgur.com/a/1ySZM I'm still learning to ride it, but I hope to film a video of it once the weather clears up a bit :)

OMG have you and your friend been busy! This is strong stuff! I am blown away by your expertise!

26616169028_5398766fba_b.jpg

Hopefully a demonstration video is in the near future! :cheers:

1 hour ago, codersarepeople said:

This is very cool, and I can see the challenge. Surely you must have created at least one video???

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is very cool, and I can see the challenge. Surely you must have created at least one video???

I wish, but I just rode it for the first time tonight, and even that was a few circles to get used to the weight of the thing. It's been raining for 5 days straight here, and I want to start on grass to avoid hurting the thing, so I have to wait until things dry out a bit before I can show a true video of me riding the thing. Looking forward to it some day this week; I'll reply here with a video.

• 2 months later...

Well a lot of things have kept me from getting around to posting this, but I finally video'd this project working. Didn't have time to find a hill worthy of its full potential, but the basic idea is there. If anybody was waiting with bated breath, here's a video of my project in action, and a bit of description.

2 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

Well a lot of things have kept me from getting around to posting this, but I finally video'd this project working. Didn't have time to find a hill worthy of its full potential, but the basic idea is there. If anybody was waiting with bated breath, here's a video of my project in action, and a bit of description.

Interesting. I really enjoyed the video. I have no reference point regarding your stated battery capacity. Is the 200wh enough for most practical uses? Seems like a compact kit.

200 Wh is plenty, since I go slower and am more energy efficient since I have to pedal. I'd guess I'd get around 25 km on 200 Wh.

The cool thing about LiGo batteries is they are 100 What each and you can join them together to make a larger effective pack. Then you can fly with them by splitting them apart into 100 Wh packs.

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/ligo-batteries.html

I was on a bike path the other day on my E+ and I guy pulled up beside me on what I thought was a regular bike. He said I was cheating. I gave me standard answer of I am a commuter so how can I be cheating. He repeated his challenge, which was odd so I looked at him and saw he was on a pedal unicycle. We both laughed and talked riding side-by-side for a while then he actually pulled ahead. Pretty cool.?

Archived