Gotway ACM axle shims

Scott Henley

So after replacing the xt60’s on my ACM I’ve put about 60 miles on it . I’ve noticed a fair amount of back and forth play in the wheel while riding and when I just rock it back and forth while powered on. It feels as if the shell itself is moving . I can hear the plastic creak as it moves fore and aft .

The nuts are right and so are the screws holding the shell to the footplate “bars?” So I’m assuming it’s a shim issue . Doesn’t seem like I can purchase them anywhere.

anyone have experience finding them ?

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Marty got his from @Jason McNeil (ewheels.com).

Here's his video about the procedure:

I spoke to Joey at Ewheels and he said they are only available to Ewheels customers due to such a limited quantity . (Meaning customers who bought a GW from them and need to replace the shims in THAT unit) . I may just try to tighten them up better without disassembly if that’s possible . 

Just now, EU GUY said:

Check with Gotway america. I know he gots lots of spares

Okay. Thanks . Will do . That’s @Brad Webster right.? It might just be more work than I’m willing to take on. I did tear down the unit to re solder some blown connections but complete diaseembly seems a bit more difficult. 

1 minute ago, Scott Henley said:

Okay. Thanks . Will do . That’s @Brad Webster right.? It might just be more work than I’m willing to take on. I did tear down the unit to re solder some blown connections but complete diaseembly seems a bit more difficult. 

right. I wont lie. its a hassle to do.., but you might just have to loosen the nut and push the shims towards the axel before tightening again.  maybe its just loose and not worn. 

2 minutes ago, EU GUY said:

right. I wont lie. its a hassle to do.., but you might just have to loosen the nut and push the shims towards the axel before tightening again.  maybe its just loose and not worn. 

I hope that’s it . There are flywheel keys installed to keep the nuts tight though . And it’s got about 700mi on it . So worried they could be worn . 

21 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

I spoke to Joey at Ewheels and he said they are only available to Ewheels customers due to such a limited quantity

Hmm, I need to chat with Joey about this; as a Customer of another Wheel from us, I'm sure we can oblige you in providing the shims for this operation. Sorry about this response... 

5 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Hmm, I need to chat with Joey about this; as a Customer of another Wheel from us, I'm sure we can oblige you in providing the shims for this operation. Sorry about this response... 

@Jason McNeil it’s  perfectly fine . I didn’t mean to stir up any trouble . Joey has been more than helpful and friendly. And I’m super excited to get the wheels he’s been hanging on to for me . (Waiting for me to pay for that is) 

I figured I’d they are in low quantities it was an understandable response since The wheel I got from you guys was a KS. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

I figured I’d they are in low quantities it was an understandable response since The wheel I got from you guys was a KS. 

Not trouble at all, I'm sure we can help you out, we get regular supplies for parts from GW, it ought to be no trouble adding some more if necessary. 

21 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Not trouble at all, I'm sure we can help you out, we get regular supplies for parts from GW, it ought to be no trouble adding some more if necessary. 

Thanks @Jason McNeil, just spoke to Joey again. I’ll tear this unit down and have a look at the shims ...if need be I’ll get up with one of you to send me some . Really hoping it doesn’t come to that but afraid due to the mileage on it they could very well be worn and not just loose . 

4 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

My video shows much of the process. A few hours of work. Not brain surgery, just a commitment of time :thumbup:

48 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

My video shows much of the process. A few hours of work. Not brain surgery, just a commitment of time :thumbup:

Gotcha . And let me say thank you @Marty Backe for the awesome videos . Seems like any GW issue I come across you have a detailed video explains the process . It’s awesom ! 

2 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Gotcha . And let me say thank you @Marty Backe for the awesome videos . Seems like any GW issue I come across you have a detailed video explains the process . It’s awesom ! 

Glad that some of my videos come in handy sometimes. That's the idea :)

I just wish I could be more useful to the KingSong owners, but no luck for somewhat obvious reasons :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

I do believe that’s what he’s implying. ?

I guess by now it’s common knowledge that the new iterations of KS wheels are pretty bomb proof and require very little to no maintenance. But there is just something about a GW wheel , when it’s performing at its best , that kinda makes the repairs needed feel like a labor of love . 

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad that some of my videos come in handy sometimes. That's the idea :)

Very useful @Marty Backe. Obviously there are other videos out there . But yours break every step down showing is exactly what needs to be done . ?

9 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

But there is just something about a GW wheel , when it’s performing at its best , that kinda makes the repairs needed feel like a labor of love . 

Gotholm Syndrome:efee8319ab:

Though the one thing about the GWs that's really nice, is their simple build. You can do a lot yourself, just look at what @Rehab1 did. Not sure you could mod other brands as extensively as GWs.

48 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Gotholm Syndrome:efee8319ab:

Though the one thing about the GWs that's really nice, is their simple build. You can do a lot yourself, just look at what @Rehab1 did. Not sure you could mod other brands as extensively as GWs.

This is a very good point . I haven’t seen the inside of my KS wheel . And doubt I’ll ever need to. ? But what I do know is that it’s a much more “involved” process . 

Heck I just did a minor repair( or maybe not so minor ?)  on  my ACM and I had never had any experience prior . The simple build parameters made it pretty light work over all. 

55 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You can do a lot yourself, just look at what @Rehab1 did. Not sure you could mod other brands as extensively as GWs.

This is true but I got carried away with my mods.  I spent more more time screwing around than actual riding. 

25 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

But that’s half the fun right @Rehab1

Unfortunately not any more. I would rather ride a wheel on a peaceful trail than continually cuss at it .:furious:

Just now, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately not any more. I would rather ride a wheel on a peaceful trail than continually cuss at it .:furious:

Haha. So what you’re saying is you’re waiting for the 18L to hit the market and then you’ll get back to riding . ?

Archived