EUC Liability insurance

peterpeco

My understanding is that at least two instances of electric unicycle riders have been successfully stopped and charged for riding an EUC without insurance and had their driving licences endorsed with 6 penalty points.

I have to date been unsuccessful in being able to obtain Liability insurance for third party risks while using an electric unicycle. My understanding is that such a cover would be under a household policy.  I would be interested to hear if anyone has been successful in obtaining such a cover.

Alternatively if at this time no one has been able to obtain a third party liability cover because there is insufficient demand it may be worthwhile getting together as a group in order to obtain such a cover.

Would any other members be interested in looking at this?

peterpeco    Dundee

• Upvote 1

I'd be happy to buy a policy. 

There was talk on here about 18 months ago - someone was able to buy a policy. I called the insurer (can't remember who) who checked with their underwriters - and refused cover. 
That was despite me telling them they had already sold a policy to someone. 

Bicycle insurance might be the way to go here . Simply insure it as an e-bike . Velosurance is a very good company and I have 2 road bikes insured with them . They cover liability and damages to your “bike” , gear and clothing as well as personal injury . Policies are pretty cheap too. 

Alternatively you could insure it under your homeowners policy as a portable valuable.  This covers bicycles as well. I’d assume an EUC could be covered as an e-bike in this case too. This is all in the US btw . Europe has even more bike insurance companies. 

• Like 1

Maybe consider this company. They cover ebikes so there is a possibility they might cover EUCs. Worth a call. If you tell them there is another 100 members interested they might create a exclusive policy. 

38655005240_8616ed08f4_b.jpg

https://sundaysinsurance.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoanOpdu_2QIVlUwNCh3fYQKlEAAYAyAAEgL1BfD_BwE

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, bluewheel said:

In France Allianz is insuring EUCs - see below link:

https://www.allianz.fr/assurance-autres-vehicules/nouvelles-mobilites/

This is awesome. I wish I could find something like this in the US as I would jump at it for some peace of mind although it would probably mean nothing unless the state/city considers the device itself legal; and where I am it isn't.

Hey @Jeffrey Scott Will this could be something InMotion USA should try to push for. I'm sure some insurance company could be persuaded to offer some kind of coverage if the request came from a big player. Even if it were only third party coverage it would be a huge step forward. Get @Jason McNeil involved too. I wonder how many people avoid or curtail their usage because of the spectre if liability here in the US.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

EUC insurance is compulsory here. For some insurance companies the home contract covers civil liability, and according to other companies an additional vehicle contract is required.

But I explained the situation, and I only took a warning on the condition that I would present insurance for my unicycle in the next three months. I want to check for sundays electric unicycle insurance and if it is possible to get one.

hmm

I have this problem too. The police stopped me once, and I had to take a fine because I didn't have that cover. But I explained the situation, and I only took a warning on the condition that I would present insurance for my unicycle in the next three months. I want to check for sundays electric unicycle insurance and if it is possible to get one. At this agency, I have full insurance for the electric bike. But by the way, the idea of getting together as a group to obtain such a cover is good.

• 5 months later...