Gotway Monster - Shell Body CAD - WIP

MishaPizdetz

Hello everyone, 

I'm working on recreating the Gotway Monster shell as a CAD Document.

The goal is to recreate a better, stronger Gotway Monster Shell/Body by using either injection molding, CNC milling, or diffused plastic printing.

My goal is to use ABS Plastic and correct pain points found in the current design. I'm hoping this will increase the integrity of the shell, preventing it from cracking as easily. 

Is anyone on the forum interested in joining forces, working on the CAD drawings, and etc.?

Regards.

Ambitious idea!

If you simply want a stronger Monster shell, I'd just take an existing one and reinforce it with some layers of fiberglass (or carbon fiber if you're fancy).

But probably you're more interested in the CAD+production process of an entirely new shell. Quite a lot of work, though:efee47c9c8:

Just received my „new“ wheel...a used Monster...

I really like the driving .....but the Shell they have done on the Monster is a bad joke!

If you look at it to hard...it might crack open, and with each opening of the sidepads one or more screwholes gets damaged.

Cant imagine this thing even will take a fall when its standing.

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Just received my „new“ wheel...a used Monster...

I really like the driving .....but the Shell they have done on the Monster is a bad joke!

If you look at it to hard...it might crack open, and with each opening of the sidepads one or more screwholes gets damaged.

Cant imagine this thing even will take a fall when its standing.

A few months ago I was riding my Monster and I was only going about 5 mph

when I lost balance and had to step off, but when I did it got loose and flopped over to the ground.

When it hit it split in half and all the guts started to fall out of it.

The case shell was totalled and every screw hole was stripped and plastic broken cracked all over.

This is a VERY brittle machine!

I am currently rebuilding it to a Purple shell I got from SpeedyFeet.

A New stronger shell would be great!

On 2/23/2018 at 11:06 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Ambitious idea!

If you simply want a stronger Monster shell, I'd just take an existing one and reinforce it with some layers of fiberglass (or carbon fiber if you're fancy).

But probably you're more interested in the CAD+production process of an entirely new shell. Quite a lot of work, though:efee47c9c8:

how do you reinforce a shell? im interested!

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

how do you reinforce a shell? im interested!

I have no real knowledge, but I would do it similarly how you do fiberglass work on a boat. So something like this (again, just a guess, never done this, just seen some random boat work stuff):

• Disassemble the wheel so you only have the two plastic shell halves to work with. Or just buy an extra shell to work with.
  • Sand to remove the paint and to rough up the surface (it's probably best to add to the outside of the shell, as well as reinforce some of the screw holes etc on the inside, and keep the rest of the shell's insides as is)
  • Clean with some...thing (Acetone or whatever works without destroying the shell plastic)
  • Just add a few layers of fiberglass+epoxy onto the shell until it's 2 or 3mm thicker
  • Sand again and maybe fare (= some filler to remove the bumps and uneven spots)
  • Sand again (I guess) to make it nice and smooth.
  • Add some kind of cover - paint (may need multiple layers of primer and paint and whatnot), a sticky foil, you can use whatever works on fiberglass.
  • Now you have two much stronger shell halves. It's probably a good idea to reinforce the scre hole areas, or maybe even make the screw holes bigger so you can use bigger/stronger screws.
  • Reassemble wheel and enjoy its bombproof shell.

Just look up some boat work Youtube videos on fiberglass repairs or so if you want to know more. I don't know more than that, just thought about reinforcing a EUC shells when seeing these kinds of boat works.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2018 at 6:10 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I have no real knowledge, but I would do it similarly how you do fiberglass work on a boat. So something like this (again, just a guess, never done this, just seen some random boat work stuff):

• Disassemble the wheel so you only have the two plastic shell halves to work with. Or just buy an extra shell to work with.
  • Sand to remove the paint and to rough up the surface (it's probably best to add to the outside of the shell, as well as reinforce some of the screw holes etc on the inside, and keep the rest of the shell's insides as is)
  • Clean with some...thing (Acetone or whatever works without destroying the shell plastic)
  • Just add a few layers of fiberglass+epoxy onto the shell until it's 2 or 3mm thicker
  • Sand again and maybe fare (= some filler to remove the bumps and uneven spots)
  • Sand again (I guess) to make it nice and smooth.
  • Add some kind of cover - paint (may need multiple layers of primer and paint and whatnot), a sticky foil, you can use whatever works on fiberglass.
  • Now you have two much stronger shell halves. It's probably a good idea to reinforce the scre hole areas, or maybe even make the screw holes bigger so you can use bigger/stronger screws.
  • Reassemble wheel and enjoy its bombproof shell.

Just look up some boat work Youtube videos on fiberglass repairs or so if you want to know more. I don't know more than that, just thought about reinforcing a EUC shells when seeing these kinds of boat works.

Hmmm, I was thinking mesh and epoxy. Great Idea!!! I'll try this out once I heal from my last crash. :)

Archived