New Rider...Just Received My King Song 14D

Congrats! You might need an extension tool to inflate, but it might give you better performance. 

I bought a Gotway MCM3 (14" wheel) for my first wheel recently, and I too wish I had been more patient and bought a high powered 16" wheel.

Maybe the place you bought your wheel from will give you $400-500 dollar credit if you return your wheel and buy a bigger one?

13 hours ago, King Llama said:

I checked my tire pressure today and I've been riding at 15psi...way too low. It might explain my lower than expected battery life. I will order an extension ASAP.

A valve extender shouldn't really be necessary on any of the King Song Wheels, a standard bike/car nozzle can be inserted & locked to inflate it. 

36 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

A valve extender shouldn't really be necessary on any of the King Song Wheels, a standard bike/car nozzle can be inserted & locked to inflate it. 

Yeah, in the past on my KS14C I have pried up the valve like @Smoother mentioned but the amount of force required makes me nervous that I'll bend or break the brass valve stem. I have an extender and prefer to use that.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Use a key or screwdriver to gently pry the valve away from the rim, so you can get an air hose on it, for now.  Marty is a big proponent of high pressure, but take it from me, its like riding on a knife edge, and you get air over any object at all.  Try his high-pressure route, by all means, but then experiment with different pressures.  Use my bounce test to evaluate rebound.  remember, the rider's weight has to be taken into account.  The less you weigh, the less pressure you need pushing back.

I suspect you should have got a 14s, based on what you have written. And the 16s is not exactly a fat beast, especially with the now, standard trolly handle.

I am, but totally agree with you - he should try the complete pressure range. I figured since he already experienced the low-end extremes he may as well experience the high-end extremes. Then settle on what works for him.

Welcome @King Llama, enjoy your 14D, it sounds like you are. There's a group of us that gets together weekly, usually Sundays, we're on Facebook as "Bay Area Electric Unicycle Group." Check us out sometime and join us, lots of different wheels to try out!

Wow, thanks to everyone for all the fantastic advice. This community is extremely welcoming and supportive (that's pretty hard to find on the internet these days). It might eventually be worth making a wiki or something that contains advice for beginners. It was something that was missing when I was searching (a lot of veteran riders but the good beginner advice is hidden deep in threads...having it organized could be helpful :D).

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

15-psi is extremely low and makes the wheel behave in an uncontrollable manner (wobble). I run my KS14 at 65-psi. I wouldn't go lower than 50-psi on this particular wheel.

I think it's a fantastic first wheel, and a great wheel in general. Good luck with your learning, and have a fun time doing it :thumbup:

I definitely didn't do the 15 psi on purpose; it just came that way in the box. I was too excited when I got my wheel and I jumped on it immediately without checking the tire pressure :lol:

I'll definitely experiment with the tire pressure. I'm going to try the high PSI first, and then somewhere in the middle next (I weigh 150 lb, so I can probably get away with some lower pressures).

4 hours ago, who_the said:

Welcome @King Llama, enjoy your 14D, it sounds like you are. There's a group of us that gets together weekly, usually Sundays, we're on Facebook as "Bay Area Electric Unicycle Group." Check us out sometime and join us, lots of different wheels to try out!

Awesome to hear there are a lot of riders in the Bay Area. Someone actually rides one to my work, so I'll have to track him down as well. I'll join as soon as I feel a little more comfortable riding...trying to learn how to ride backwards, that is harder than it looks :blink1:

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of miscellaneous questions that have accumulated...didn't want to start a new thread for them.

One disadvantage of being the first of your friends to buy an EUC is that everybody wants to learn on your wheel...and they will crash/drop it many times :crying:

I managed to learn on my wheel without a single scratch (always managed to catch it). It turns out when it's not your own wheel, you're more inclined to drop it. My wheel has taken quite a beating, but the good news is that I've taught 4 of my friends to ride already :D

My first question is: what is the purpose of the foam tape strip on the pedals? It's pretty much torn off and I wasn't sure if I should bother trying to replace it.

Second question, do I ever need to bother with calibrating my wheel? Will my wheel come out of calibration over time and if so, is there a standardized process for calibrating it?

Last question...should I order a Gotway Tesla...? My excuse is to pick up a 16inch wheel and then use my smaller 14D as my portable wheel, but honestly it's probably just an excuse to buy a new wheel. This hobby is dangerously addictive... :wacko:

41 minutes ago, King Llama said:

My first question is: what is the purpose of the foam tape strip on the pedals? It's pretty much torn off and I wasn't sure if I should bother trying to replace it.

Second question, do I ever need to bother with calibrating my wheel? Will my wheel come out of calibration over time and if so, is there a standardized process for calibrating it?

Last question...should I order a Gotway Tesla...? My excuse is to pick up a 16inch wheel and then use my smaller 14D as my portable wheel, but honestly it's probably just an excuse to buy a new wheel. This hobby is dangerously addictive... :wacko:

The tape is shipping protectant to keep the pedals' scratchy surface from scratching your new wheel before your friends get a chance. :furious:

Calibrate your wheel. It will make it easier for you. Follow the instructions in the app. Not sure if it will go out of calibration if you dont. I think its just a fine tuning sort of calibration to the lean or lack of lean of the ride you want.

You should wait for the bevvy of new releases, and that may mean a Tesla revision, or just grab the tesla and ask ewheels to carry the 10% discount when the new models come out if you want to have your cake and eat them too. :w00t2: