Scott Henley

1 minute ago, pico said:

Sorry guys I had text that was not shown on my last post.

" Bwahhh, I have to start with pics first ;)

Thank you for the warm welcome!"

Novazeus, you beat me to 64. Late april.

Marty, I do juggle too!

Maybe we will soon duo backwards!

Will post video but my 120g SD card is being scanned for recovery :( at the moment and don't want to hijack a thread...

i know i’m not the oldest. i’ve seen somebody like 70 or 80.

@pico like when my youngs gfs would say “ur so old” and i’d say “beats the alternative”, right?

5 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

64 in December for me.  No young "gfs".

Ur better off. Traded mine in on Bob. Much much better. Perfect.

Guess nobody pays attention to segway's aging us out. 

In this politically correct world, I'd hate to think I'd have to linger outside @Jason McNeil store and get a kid to go inside and buy a wheel for me.

53 minutes ago, pico said:

and don't want to hijack a thread..

Hijacking a thread is WHAT WE DO BEST.  No thread survives intact after about 6 posts.  That's why it's so hard to find anything; it's always buried in a completely different subject. :facepalm:

Thanks, unfortunately for us we had access to the court for only a month. Hopefully we will be able to resume in April.

Sure for friend, Aries always get along fine :)

I am not on fb or any other similar media though.

1 hour ago, pico said:

Thanks, unfortunately for us we had access to the court for only a month. Hopefully we will be able to resume in April.

i was just envious of ur practice court, i’ll stick with my pasture in florida. looks like y’all are lightyears ahead of me.

8 hours ago, Smoother said:

Hijacking a thread is WHAT WE DO BEST.  No thread survives intact after about 6 posts.  That's why it's so hard to find anything; it's always buried in a completely different subject. :facepalm:

so smoother. do you think i should donate my euc to charity?   (totally not hijaked)

3 hours ago, pico said:

Well, you asked for it...

Please, don't be too critical: this was one of our first practices together two months ago...

http://premiereclip.adobe.com/videos/Tj84d_ico_o

I can't play this video - multiple computers.

17 hours ago, novazeus said:

In this politically correct world, I'd hate to think I'd have to linger outside @Jason McNeil store and get a kid to go inside and buy a wheel for me.

If his shop is near a liquor store you could make it mutually beneficial...  :cheers:

2 hours ago, pico said:

That worked. Thanks!

11 hours ago, pico said:

That was a very nice video. Perfect choice of music too.

:cheers:

• 4 months later...

I know there must be older. I am 65 in August, just a few weeks from now.

9b1 c+. 950 miles.

I go slower than anyone else from what I can tell. And happy to do so. It's not because I'm an old fart. 

I've read, studied and dissected most all the failure, accident and fall posts.

First, I went out and bought helmet, full pad gear. Then I have quit pushing the tilt back monster. I have lowerd (thats correct...not raised) my cruising speed.

10 or 11mph to be honest. I now go up any medium hills at walking pace and slow for most bumps.

I want to enjoy my euc days for the longest foreseeable future.

I have done all that other stuff skateboards, kayaking, unicycling, biking, motorcycles, scuba, hanggliding.

I want to enjoy many years more settled down on Flying down the warm shady bike trail.

I've got 5 pretty good falls under my belt. All of them while learning and under 1mph. 2 twisted backs (1 a week in bed) and 1 broken rib. Was riding the next day... cant help myself. Luckily I know YOU guys understand.

I have 3 points I'd like to leave for a Newbie...

Search out and Read all the Accident posts. It will save your life.

There is nothing wrong or unpleasureable with slowing down. Speed kills.

Forget everything else, learn on a Shopping Cart.

I hope to be humble enough and smart enough to enjoy our wonderful miraculous sport to at least 70.

I love it.

RE: the wizard,

your posting is spot on.  basically,  the 'desire' is to extend you enjoyment of all things fascinating for as long as you can.

live long, and ride as far as you can !!!

• 4 months later...

I'm 72, and I just retired.  I bought a Glide 3 two weeks ago. I am still working on the bottom part of the learning curve, although I can do loops in the parking lot and hop on and off most of the time hands-free.  I'm in very good physical shape.  Nevertheless, I think it would have been easier to start this hobby 15 or 20 years ago. 

Post a video , perhaps we can give you some tips.  I had to trust the device enough that I would pick up enough speed by learning forward.  Scary , because it is the same maneuver for falling on your face.

4 hours ago, DanCar said:

Post a video , perhaps we can give you some tips.  I had to trust the device enough that I would pick up enough speed by learning forward.  Scary , because it is the same maneuver for falling on your face.

That depends on how the maneuver is executed. I aim to keep the upper body straight and "lean" by bending the knees and push the thighs and hips forward. That makes it much less likely to fall on my face when the wheel unexpectedly disappears under me for whatever reason (which happens once in a while).

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7049-how-to-lean/

There was a decrepit old man, 69 I believe he stated, who got a Segway 16 incher and documented from his first ride onward.

The first couple of sessions he was awful, just ghastly, about what you would expect, and it looked insane as several passerbys observed. However, he kept at it and in about half a dozen sessions he was riding around. What I found most interesting is how balanced and coordinated he was a few months later, he was another person. It made him look 10-15 years younger, at least, and it isn't an exaggeration he was smoother and better coordinated in merely walking and stooping than most people regardless of age. And with no exceptions I've seen that coordination with all posted EUC riders. I don't see that with most riders in my local bicycle club which leads me to believe that EUC riding is harder than easier. EUC riding of course is easier than a real unicycle but I thought learning an EUC made it MUCH easier to learn on my 24 inch mountain unicycle.

Perfect balance, I call it, which goes a long way to protecting you from falls. 

I'm almost 24. I started when I was almost 21.
In Dublin it costs about €110 to €150 for a month of public transport (€100 for students), so EUCs are cheaper, mainly if you can resell them later when you can't resist the temptation to upgrade. :P 

Archived