What is the best personal electric transportation?

SupermenMustDie

38 minutes ago, SupermenMustDie said:

Electric unicycle, Electric Longboard, and Electric Scooter, which one would be the best for day-to-day commute?

Which answer would you expect in an electric unicycle forum? ?

Just now, Chriull said:

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't forget about today's electric cars (that can be part of public transport or even trains). I guess an electric car and a small euc can be a brother/sister relationship where you need to travel long distances and fast. for short distance commuting EUC is ideal.They can do each other's role at a cost but together they are most effective. Think about it with cars only since we might be more familiar with it. In the city you need a small one, in highways, a bigger one is better. besides I don't see myself doing a long distance with EUC in some heavy rain.

Anything that doesn't have regenerative braking is likely to be least efficient then. Small wheels are not ideal (skateboard ones)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SupermenMustDie said:

Electric unicycle, Electric Longboard, and Electric Scooter, which one would be the best for day-to-day commute?

I have one Xiaomi m365 and one inmotion vf5. 25km range and 25 kmph top speed both.

The scooter cost 350€, is capable of more than 25 kmh and keep feeling safe. Is easy to ride for beginners. 

The euc cost me 700€, have more power, more wheel radius, delightful control at low speed and the smallest size.

Few people can visualize himself riding a euc. Adding the lower price, high top speed and easy use of scooter makes it the winner. 

But for those who knows the pros of the euc maybe worth paying the overprice: full freedom of movement, hands free,  not only for commuting also work tool, off road and freestyle, acrobatic, artistic... his small size and simpler control makes it different.

Edited by Demargon

Hard to beat a small gas powered scooter. Take the Honda Grom for example...about $3k new...cool...fun...55 mph top speed...full suspension...unlimited range (gas stations everywhere!). EUCs are a lot FUN and more practical than your other choices, but you have to keep things in perspective. How long is your commute? Are you really going to commute 25 miles one way (50 round trip) on an EUC when you can do it in half the time in a car or motorcycle? You might do it for fun but I wouldn’t do it very often. 

How is long is your commute? Will you be riding the entire way or taking a bus on part of it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demargon said:

Adding the lower price, high top speed and easy use of scooter makes it the winner.

That's one of the reasons I am thinking about an electric scooter, this one in particular https://smoovscooter.com. Tried the one my friend has, fast and easy to use. 

4 hours ago, exoplanet said:

The advantage of the electric longboard is that when the motor/ power fails, you just coast to a stop.

And it is very easy to maintain, there are a group of people building it from their basement (http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/). I myself are working on a low budget one (USD$300)

2 hours ago, Demargon said:

But for those who knows the pros of the euc maybe worth paying the overprice

um. . . . I never ride one, but I am thinking of getting this http://www.airwheel.net/home/product/x3 just to try it out. This is so expensive tho, almost double the price of the electric scooter and the electric longboard. Also, what are some of the maintenance i should know about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SupermenMustDie said:

around 20KM each way, mostly bike path and side walk 

That’s a pretty good commute but doable. I’d seriously consider an EUC that you can sit on. That’s really nice on longer rides even if you only sit for a minute or two. That gives your feet a really nice break! 

2 hours ago, SupermenMustDie said:

That's one of the reasons I am thinking about an electric scooter, this one in particular https://smoovscooter.com. Tried the one my friend has, fast and easy to use.

Looks nice and funny. The wheels too small but that's a owner choice. 

2 hours ago, SupermenMustDie said:

um. . . . I never ride one, but I am thinking of getting this http://www.airwheel.net/home/product/x3 just to try it out. 

That's a lot of money for only try it. Choose a 400$ gotway, kingson or ninebot instead the airwheel. I had one 250$ chinese euc, enjoyable but risky

Edited by Demargon

Am i wrong that a failure in a skateboard will have it sliding from under your feet?

Wheel size depends on the terrain. If it's very well made, a smaller one will go, but I wouldn't suggest anything less than 10" wheel vehicle as you don't know what you might encounter (a tree branch or root, or some flew away waste hoping it's not a banana peel :P ).

1 hour ago, IPS Malta said:

Am i wrong that a failure in a skateboard will have it sliding from under your feet?

Wheel size depends on the terrain. If it's very well made, a smaller one will go, but I wouldn't suggest anything less than 10" wheel vehicle as you don't know what you might encounter (a tree branch or root, or some flew away waste hoping it's not a banana peel :P ).

I wouldn't consider anything less than a 16" for a 50km commute. I have an Mten3 and would NOT take it on a very long ride...just not a practical long commuter. It's great for a last mile solution but not to travel long distances on. I'd go with a KingSong KS18S or a Monster or MSuper V3.

@SupermenMustDie what scooters are you considering? An ebike would work OK as well, but your going to start looking at quite a bit of money to get an ebike that will compete with one of the suggested EUC's above. My ebike was about $3k...wish I would have bought a Honda Grom! I didn't keep things in perspective.

Edited by Evel_Knievel
Grammer
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Evel_Knievel said:

That’s a pretty good commute but doable. I’d seriously consider an EUC that you can sit on. That’s really nice on longer rides even if you only sit for a minute or two. That gives your feet a really nice break! 

I use my KS18s 1680wh for the long journeys. The KS18s has a high profile and looks like a real transportation device to other vehicles more than my V8 or Mten. The large tire makes me feel safer over the majority of the terrain. Just took it on a 104 km ride on Saturday. By 98 km I had only 25% power left and speed was limited to 15mph with a lot of beeping. It started warning me with a broken English statement that my Batteries were empty, please charge, over and over again. Got a lot of attention at the park.:unsure:

It has a seat, and will recharge your phone with its usb power port. Also fits easily onto the trains or busses when the weather makes it unrideable. Also has bluetooth speakers, a horn. There are kick scooters and pedal free ebikes, but they dont really have the range of the long distance eucs. The ebikes are nice, but are heavy and large in an apt. 

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

I use my KS18s 1680wh for the long journeys. The KS18s has a high profile and looks like a real transportation device to other vehicles more than my V8 or Mten. The large tire makes me feel safer over the majority of the terrain. Just took it on a 104 km ride on Saturday. By 98 km I had only 25% power left and speed was limited to 15mph with a lot of beeping. It started warning me with a broken English statement that my Batteries were empty, please charge, over and over again. Got a lot of attention at the park.:unsure:

It has a seat, and will recharge your phone with its usb power port. Also fits easily onto the trains or busses when the weather makes it unrideable. Also has bluetooth speakers, a horn. There are kick scooters and pedal free ebikes, but they dont really have the range of the long distance eucs. The ebikes are nice, but are heavy and large in an apt. 

but the price tag. . . . 

28 minutes ago, SupermenMustDie said:

but the price tag

Its worth it. The cost of use pays for itself over gasoline in just over six months of driving, filling up your tank with $60/week of gas, in money saved. It can also be a power supply during a blackout for your phone or other usb powered devices. Also can be a speak system for a small room.:efee6b18f3: It is also on par in price with the budget ebikes and mid range pedal bikes. It is more expensive than a broken down subaru Brat tho. :efee565ab0:

The best feature is the feeling of absolute joy after completing a long ride. There is a noticeable release of endorphins from long term use from these devices that cannot be denied. This is really where the dividends are paid with a EUC.

47 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Its worth it. The cost of use pays for itself over gasoline in just over six months of driving, filling up your tank with $60/week of gas, in money saved. It can also be a power supply during a blackout for your phone or other usb powered devices. Also can be a speak system for a small room.:efee6b18f3: It is also on par in price with the budget ebikes and mid range pedal bikes. It is more expensive than a broken down subaru Brat tho. :efee565ab0:

The best feature is the feeling of absolute joy after completing a long ride. There is a noticeable release of endorphins from long term use from these devices that cannot be denied. This is really where the dividends are paid with a EUC.

Yes, you’ll save 60/week on gas but you’ll spend twice as long commuting on an EUC vs. a car. At least that’s the case for me. It could be different for others, but that’s the case for me. I’m about 6 miles from the office, one way. My time is valuable. I’ll bike it sometimes for the workout, but we’re not getting a workout on an EUC. YES! it is fun!

9 minutes ago, Evel_Knievel said:

Yes, you’ll save 60/week on gas but you’ll spend twice as long commuting on an EUC vs. a car. At least that’s the case for me. It could be different for others, but that’s the case for me. I’m about 6 miles from the office, one way. My time is valuable. I’ll bike it sometimes for the workout, but we’re not getting a workout on an EUC. YES! it is fun!

In dense urban areas such as San Francisco I actually usually match or beat cars in transit time just because of how congested it is. Anywhere outside the 5 square miles of the city core though and of course and cars are about 2x as fast. Since my daily commute and the vast majority of errands occur inside that dense city center, the EUC is by far the best form of transportation here.

Edited by electricpen
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Evel_Knievel said:

Yes, you’ll save 60/week on gas but you’ll spend twice as long commuting on an EUC vs. a car. At least that’s the case for me. It could be different for others...

I guess the saying YMMV applies directly here! My commute is 5 miles in each direction, through urban city traffic, and my commute is at least 5 minutes faster (and infinitely more fun and relaxing) on an EUC than in a car, and that doesn't include parking and walking from parking to my office.

1 minute ago, electricpen said:

In dense urban areas such as San Francisco I actually usually match or beat cars in transit time just because of how congested it is. Anywhere outside the 5 square miles of the city core though and of course and cars are about 2x as fast. Since my daily commute and the vast majority of errands occur inside that dense city center, the EUC is by far the best form of transportation here.

Totally agree. I’m in Houston and it’s pretty spread out. Public transit sucks here!