first time ninebot one C

jamakin

just joined the forum, got my ninebot one C+ yesterday. I have been watching as many videos as possible and know to take it slow. 

just finished 15 minutes of just riding it back and forth. my only question is what settings are good for someone just starting out?

I limited the speed to 2.5 MPH and set the sensitivity to 0

want to get up to speed but know it will take some time

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jamakin said:

just joined the forum, got my ninebot one C+ yesterday. I have been watching as many videos as possible and know to take it slow. 

just finished 15 minutes of just riding it back and forth. my only question is what settings are good for someone just starting out?

I limited the speed to 2.5 MPH and set the sensitivity to 0

want to get up to speed but know it will take some time

Welcome to the forum! I would recommend a higher limit to your speed -- it's actually easier to balance if you have some forward momentum. Low speed riding is a skill to acquire later. Also, I'd up the sensitivity to 5 or 6. A setting of 0 is very "squishy" and unsettling. That alone can make it difficult to ride. Also, make sure you have 35 psi or so in your tire. Ninebot Ones notoriously come with too little tire pressure for riding.

Good luck, and report back on your experience.

11 hours ago, jamakin said:

thanks , will try those settings

Actually, 0 is the hardest and it gets squishier as the numbers go up.  5 or 6 should be okay though, I keep my E+ at 3 or sometimes 4, for a little less harsh ride.  But it's fun to try different settings and find what feels best for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@jamakin

Welcome to Ninebot and EUC world! :)

Take the limiter off - it will only be in the way for your learning. And use some shin guards/pads (facing against the wheel) to avoid bruises and pain.

Usually it' easier to start somewhere between setting 3 and 5 and after awhile you'll be able to find your own sweet spot, 3 seems to be one of the most used ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I ride at level 3 sensitivity and agree that a speed limit is unnecessary and counterproductive. The Ninebot C+ is inherently slow, and you should learn early on what speed tiltback feels like. For now, just practice, have fun, and don't overthink it, and you'll be competent soon enough.

having fun with the basics so far! 

can't wait to go outdoors with it. Ran into a snag because in my excitement I never checked the charger when got the unit, of course when I went to charge my wheel today I see it is a European style prong!!!!

now I have to wait the weekend until they send a replacement. 

arrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Also, check the tire pressure.  They always are low on arrival it seems.  Air it up to at least 35-40 psi or you risk damaging the tube.  If you don't have a bicycle pump, you can get a good one at Walmart for about $20.  If you have a Fry's electronic store there you can get a travel adapter there.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jamakin said:

... European style prong!!!!

now I have to wait the weekend until they send a replacement. 

No need for travel adapter, just change the whole cable  - it's just usual computer power cord (that almost everybody has laying around) that costs a couple of dollars.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Picked up the travel adaptor this morning, ( no old monitor cables on hand). Chargng my wheel now, we had snow last night so I will put off my first outdoors traing until Monday. The delay gave me time to wrap my unit in the foam anyhow

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took my wheel to local Park and found a perfect knee wall about 100 foot long to train next to. Spent almost an hour just going back and forth, felt my confidence building for sure! My falls becane fewer and more controlled with every pass. Of course I Had my first fall that turned into a full sprint today too, it came at the height of my Confidence spike.

Forecast is for rain all Friday #%*^ so I will have to wait for Saturday mornng to train again. Gotta say it really is a thrill when all of the sudden it clicks. 

Making big strides in my riding!! I have been taking it slow, probably too slow, but today I had one of those ah ha! days. It started out will the usual wobbles and unsteadiness then about ten minutes in it clicked and I was riding! Really riding.. HOLY SH@$  I"m doing it!!! Rode the battery down  to 10% before I stopped.  I even experienced tiltback!( of course I am still riding on limited setting). I still have to master mounting the wheel without a crutch, but I think that is more a psychological barrier than anything else. 

So in reviewing my progress thru the app , since starting on the wheel Feb 17, I have logged 17 hours  and  19 miles on the wheel. 3 of those 17 miles were logged in today alone. 

This big stride forward had me thinking already, need MORE BATTERY, MORE POWER!! 

• Like 2

Put on 6 miles today over the course of four sessions, confidence building with every ride. I still have the speed limited to 6.2 MPH. Probably won't shut off the limiter until I learn to turn and mount with skill. I experienced the tilt back more that a few times today but I think more skill before more speed is the safest path for me.

My weight ( 260 lb ) is eating up the battery life rather quickly, I went from 100% to 17%  in my 4 hour , 6 mile day. I see a bigger wheel in the future for sure, don't desire the speed as much as I need the bigger battery capacity, 

After two rides I finally wise to taking screen shots to keep track of my ride data

IMG_2936.PNG

IMG_2933.PNG

IMG_2934.PNG

IMG_2937.PNG

• Like 1

Continuing with the slow speed training. As f today I have put in 44 miles in 27 hours of wheel time. I still struggle with mounting without a crutch but it has more to do with confidence than anything else. I still need about 10 minutes of warm up time to get my balance but once that warm up period is over I feel very confident in my riding.and have built up my leg strength to a point where an hour on the wheel does not tire me.  I am hoping that at about 40 Hours wheel time I will be able to just hop on anywhere and go...

ride stats:

IMG_6790.PNG

IMG_6791.PNG

On 2/18/2018 at 1:53 PM, jamakin said:

Picked up the travel adaptor this morning, ( no old monitor cables on hand). Chargng my wheel now, we had snow last night so I will put off my first outdoors traing until Monday. The delay gave me time to wrap my unit in the foam anyhow

image.jpg

Welcome.  Congrats on the training. Take the speed limiter off, it's only hurting your progress.  The wheel WILL NOT suddenly shoot up to max and throw you off, any more than a Ferrari would, driving down Main Street.

I love the way you integrated and blended the padding into the natural flowing lines of the wheel.  :facepalm:

Edited by Smoother

yeah, You can tell I wrapped it like a noob :P,  i did not spend much time thinking about anything except want to ride NOW !!!

I have 60 miles under my belt now and have decided to unwrap it, well more like take off the only two pieces that survived.

I will take off the limiter next ride and see how it feels.

Moving along now!  Have 35 hours ride time and 71.5 miles to show for it. I turned off the limiter and have been creeping up in average speed. Feels very comfy cruising at 8 to 9 MPH range. 4 miles is no longer a strain on my feet/legs. I am venturing up hills and down trails that I once feared to try. I am glad I spent the time gaining confidence and skill at slow speeds because it pays off when I I come across expected obstacles.  I still have issues mounting without a crutch but at least I can do it after a few attempts. I really do believe 3/4 learning how to ride is strictly a confidence thing. I was only today that I felt confident enough to pullout my phone and check my speed. 

Cheers 

6558CCCC-9657-44E3-8EE7-863851F16EA5.png

That's some good progress, you're probably near the top cruising speed for safety.  It's a pain learning to get on without a crutch, but a couple minutes each day practicing and it won't be long before it gets fun being able to lift the foot and start riding.

Ninebots are good quality, but a little underpowered compared to some of the newer wheels.  Whatever you do, don't try to stop really fast by leaning back too far.:whistling:  If you're lucky, it will cut off at near 0 mph and you will fall down backwards with not much injury.  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So today I had time to do a longer ride. Got 7.5 miles out of the battery. The temp was around 38 F , flat terrain, and the usual massive rider bulk (120K+) 

Rode the battery down from 100% to 15%. I probably could have squeezed out a couple more miles but 8 miles seems to be the usable range under cool weather.

With 83 miles and just under 40 hours of wheel time I feel very confident. I can take off without the crutch but it is still not pretty. Still need about 10 minutes to feel comfy with maneuvering. 

I find that if I do spill it is more due to being indecisive about my route and less about complete loss of control.  Falls are fewer and very controlled now. I mostly just step off when I feel uncertain about my balance.

Still cruising at about 8-9 MPH for now......

45611C4F-9CFA-4BC2-B267-FBC66F9C71FF.png

Crossed the 100 mile mark on my wheel today!

I finally can mount without a crutch which opens up so much more riding options. Hitting the upper speed limit for the C+ without really thinking I am going fast. Now the wait for the next wheel( I put the deposit on the Z 10). Two more months of experience should get me ready for the step up in power. 

This will be the last post for me on this thread. Hope It will help new riders that read it understand that if you put the time in it can be done! Most of the barriers to riding are really only in your head and with practice they will fall away one by one. 

2D696013-30E1-4FCA-A642-1A3715353F4D.png

• 1 year later...