Aftermath

novazeus

when i use to travel a lot and because of my desire to be a pilot and general curiosity, i’d pick up a copy of Flying in the airport and the first thing i’d read was “aftermath”. i think a sticky topic like this might be helpful. where members could share their boo boos and what they would do differently next time. 

Aftermath:

the period following an event, such as an accident or war, and the effects caused by the event: We all worked together in the aftermath of the earthquake.

so let's say u crash on ur wheel. There might be a reason. It was too dark, bad road, etc etc etc. If It's something that might prevent another rider from crashing, u might want to share it, like @Rehab1 is. I'm sure in hindsight there might be things he would have done differently. Like ntsb on aircraft crashes. What was the cause? Pilot error, weather conditions, wind shear, etc etc. For me, first and foremost I wanna know about any mechanical failures. Kinda the same thing because if we have a cut out, we go flying.

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

Aftermath:

the period following an event, such as an accident or war, and the effects caused by the event: We all worked together in the aftermath of the earthquake.

so let's say u crash on ur wheel. There might be a reason. It was too dark, bad road, etc etc etc. If It's something that might prevent another rider from crashing, u might want to share it, like @Rehab1 is. I'm sure in hindsight there might be things he would have done differently. Like ntsb on aircraft crashes. What was the cause? Pilot error, weather conditions, wind shear, etc etc. For me, first and foremost I wanna know about any mechanical failures. Kinda the same thing because if we have a cut out, we go flying.

I think people tend to just create new threads to talk about their accidents.  I can see where you're coming from with the idea to try to create a knowledge resource for accident prevention, but I don't see how making a sticky thread called 'Aftermath', where we're all supposed to come and mention our accidents and talk about what we learned, all in one place, would be that useful.  Maybe you have ideas for how it would be, but there are so many different accidents on different branded wheels, with all sorts of different causes I just don't think it's that realistic.  But what do I know. 

flying magazine had an ongoing article called “aftermath” where aircraft accidents of all kinds and all kinds of aircraft were discussed. they had another ongoing article titled “i learned from that”. u could still have ur own thread discussing ur accident. we don’t know what happened to @Rehab1 a veteran wheeler, but he is curious enough to try and figure out what happened. he might go to the scene of the accident and discover a massive tree root pushing up the pavement and deduce that was the cause. on hindsight he might suggest going slower at night unless u know for sure there are no landmines in ur path. 

31 minutes ago, novazeus said:

we don’t know what happened to @Rehab1 a veteran wheeler, but he is curious enough to try and figure out what happened. he might go to the scene of the accident and discover a massive tree root pushing up the pavement and deduce that was the cause. on hindsight he might suggest going slower at night unless u know for sure there are no landmines in ur path. 

I cannot imagine anyone not wanting to determine the cause of an injury related accident. The prime objective of investigation is prevention. If this thread contributes to prevention then I give it a :thumbup:

47 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I cannot imagine anyone not wanting to determine the cause of an injury related accident. The prime objective of investigation is prevention. If this thread contributes to prevention then I give it a :thumbup:

u being a pilot, i knew u would know where i was coming from. i was thinking about another thread, tongue in cheek for the forum, “what were u riding before ur trip to the emergency room?” there are all kinds of risks in life, it’s how we manage these risks. 

i think if we copied flying magazine’s format with “aftermath” it would be a great source that might prevent others from being injured. electric unicycles aren’t exactly mainstream. i certainly don’t know all their quirks. 

everybody makes fun of my padding but i think this soft foam may act like a steering damper to eliminate wobbles. i’ve only experienced it briefly and i’m sure it was because my feet were too far rearward on the pedals. 

Archived