how to enjoy riding slow speeds?

Shad0z

2 hours ago, Cranium said:

Carving on the EUC can help wake up the brain a bit if it becomes too monotonous. 

I second this.  Carving makes slow speeds more fun.  On my snails-pace Segway One S1, going in a straight line at 19kph is irritating, so carving livens up the journey.  It feels a bit like skiing. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I second this.  Carving makes slow speeds more fun.  On my snails-pace Segway One S1, going in a straight line at 19kph is irritating, so carving livens up the journey.  It feels a bit like skiing. 

What is carving??

H @Shad0z Ride slow it's easy for one who lives between narrow and populated streets.

Others do for the views and enjoy of surrounding.

When is possible a few weed help.

My favourite one is keep the finest balance to maximize the battery life, image you are riding without autobalance, also being able to lisen the sound of the euc are crucial so you cannot ride over 10kmph.

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

I love carving too! Just be careful that there aren't any faster vehicles behind you. Generally it's not a problem unless it's a downhill and some bicycles are coasting fast.

im becoming way tooo good at carving 

pedal scrape there and pedal scrape here

i will try to do fast small carves instead of long sharp ones...

33 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

You could also test and see if ski poles have any utility while riding your wheel in snow or rugged off-road, or even for aggressive carving or something :huh:

ski poles??? whaa?? hahahahahahaha :D

On 2/15/2018 at 4:40 PM, Shad0z said:

I do like the rush at high speed but after time i feel weirdly enough that i enjoy riding slowly too

I remember just how much fun riding slow can be. Use your imagination.

Hi,

I think riding slow is one of the best thing you can do on an EUC, just like high speed riding. I often find myself just cruising around at pedestrian speed (around 5 to 10kph), I don't think there is a need to do any fancy stuff (360, backward, freestyle...), just enjoying the glide, knowing that at any moment I can move along and go back to cruising speed, enjoying the scenery, the animals around (sometimes the people)...

I'm probably one of the fanboys who think that EUC is just fun anytime anywhere at any speed. If my TG3 that tops at 12kph could have more range than 5km, I'd probably take it out more often, just enjoying the silence of the 350W motor.

What in the world can beat a slow ride around a lake at sunset in summer with a slight breeze ? :D

aaand i found out the bike shop broke my tire while fixing the tube... So now when inflated there is a bulge on the tire because the rubber came loose from the metal ring thing that is in the tire...

thanks bike shop :furious:

worst case scenario i have to pick it apart.. Again 

On 2/15/2018 at 1:40 PM, Shad0z said:

...but the tesla is simply too easy to go fast on imagine being in a ferari and having a very big road.. almost impossible not to go fast...

Set the tiltback to 20 or 25 kph and problem will be gone.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There's always juggling

i imagine like going on a normal walk then seeing this guys zooming past you on a little wheel while juggling

then absolutly freezing and stopping completely rubbing my eyes... "wha whaaat?? in the world is that... THING  its juggling and on a wheel.." 

that is a strange look you have acheived there marty :D 

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way to go slow (for me, slow walking speed, going somewhere with one or more people who are on foot) is to ride a dual wheel EUC --- I have an InMotion V3Pro.  The dual wheeled unit is so stable that it makes this very easy.   Also, btw, it's an excellent platform for juggling, to include doing so in a limited space (my basement playroom, rocking back and forth, slowly turning, occasionally bouncing a ball off the floor in the pattern ...).

I feel no desire to go faster than 10 - 12 mph.  Is that slow?

Well, I guess going faster would get me to where am I'm going faster, so I could go farther before my feet hurt too much.  But, going farther isn't that important to me.  It's about enjoying a couple of hours on trail.

Oh, I might do short bursts to catch up with my wife, if I stopped and she kept going.  I have gotten tilt-back a few times doing that.

It's not that it feels scary at all to go faster (it used to).   It's just that I know what can happen if I have a failure on the control board.

6 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Well, I guess going faster would get me to where am I'm going faster, so I could go farther before my feet hurt too much.  But, going farther isn't that important to me.  It's about enjoying a couple of hours on trail.

Oh, I might do short bursts to catch up with my wife, if I stopped and she kept going.  I have gotten tilt-back a few times doing that.

It's not that it feels scary at all to go faster (it used to).   It's just that I know what can happen if I have a failure on the control board.

when you try something that goes faster 10 mph is ubearably slow.. i like to stay around 20mph for normal riding and go faster if i want to enjoy some speed from time to time

18 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

when you try something that goes faster 10 mph is ubearably slow.. i like to stay around 20mph for normal riding and go faster if i want to enjoy some speed from time to time

I couldn’t agree more . Back when I first started exploring the world of pmd’s I bought a Segway minipro. Having never ridden any such device I figure “hmm...10mph top speed sounds pretty fast “ buy was I wrong . After about a week I was completely fed up with it . Faster than you can walk but slower than an old lady on a bicycle . It just felt so wrong . But I’m a bit of an adrenaline/speed junky . 

@DaveThomasPilot, if 10-12mph is what you’re comfortable with then there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. No need to push the limits you’re comfortable with . If one day you decide you want to go faster them at least you know you can . 

Both my wheels go (14C and KS16s) can go much faster than 10 mph.  And, I've done that.

But, it's not much more fun than going around 12 mph.  10 seems a little slow, but it's still a lot faster than walking.

I guess not everyone's the same.

If you had a wheel that would do 50 mph, would 25 mph then be unbearably slow?  Why not?

2 hours ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Not for North Carolina. :D But yeah, I don't like going much faster than 15mph, it just requires too much focus and concentration to be sure you don't end up as a mess on the ground.

Pretty sure I'll be buying a new, faster EUC fairly soon for this very reason.  Both the units I have now (IPS i5 and InMotion V3Pro) are limited to something like 11 - 12 mph.  It's not "bad", but on the i5 I'm constantly getting an annoying beeping sound when I just naturally want to go a little faster --- I have to sort of train myself to keep my speed down.  With the V3Pro a voice comes on periodically, sort of embarrassing to be riding just fine and have your EUC say in a pretty loud voice "slow down!". In theory I get a pedal tilt warning first, but I don't always seem to feel this and am surprised by the admonishing voice.      

Longer range and a more powerful motor would be no bad thing either.   I like to err on the side of quality, so I'm thinking KS 16s.  Maybe next month.

Archived