Solowheel Brush

Franklin

As you guys already know, the learning curve is usually a stumbling block for anyone interested in unicycles. The interest is there but onlookers most likely think you need to be a 'circus act' to balance on one wheel:D. It is with this in mind that Solowheel just launched the Solowheel Brush to get past this obstacle or at last make learning less of a circus act. The bristles are a perfect combination of strength and flexibility. I don't remember having so much fun in the production of a video. We don't take ourselves seriously but rest assured, the brush really does work.  I hope you like it.  

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Checking date... no, today's not April 1st... hmm.

Not sure what to think of it. But I guess, it's a creative idea, and if it works...

And you guys essentially get paid $15000 for doing this marketing video.

If we don't get funded, no one pays us. If we get funded, there is extremely low chance (barring some kind of major disaster) that we wouldn't be able to produce this.

It works because the bristles are just flexible enough to support you laterally while also allowing enough tilt to allow new riders to turn and learn steering dynamics. It looks crazy, but it is actually the best solution for a "training wheel" concept! We know it looks a bit ridiculous - which is why we decided to just have fun with it. :cheers:

12 hours ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

If we don't get funded, no one pays us. If we get funded, there is extremely low chance (barring some kind of major disaster) that we wouldn't be able to produce this.

It works because the bristles are just flexible enough to support you laterally while also allowing enough tilt to allow new riders to turn and learn steering dynamics. It looks crazy, but it is actually the best solution for a "training wheel" concept! We know it looks a bit ridiculous - which is why we decided to just have fun with it. :cheers:

Plus, it cleans the concrete.  :whistling:

27 minutes ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

It works because the bristles are just flexible enough to support you laterally while also allowing enough tilt to allow new riders to turn and learn steering dynamics. It looks crazy, but it is actually the best solution for a "training wheel" concept!

If it works, I'm going to be putting in an order for a batch these. It may look crazy, but the principle looks sound. There's undeniably a need for an effective learning aid for newbies. 

7 hours ago, Franklin said:

As you guys already know, the learning curve is usually a stumbling block for anyone interested in unicycles. The interest is there but onlookers most likely think you need to be a 'circus act' to balance on one wheel:D. It is with this in mind that Solowheel just launched the Solowheel Brush to get past this obstacle or at last make learning less of a circus act. The bristles are a perfect combination of strength and flexibility. I don't remember having so much fun in the production of a video. We don't take ourselves seriously but rest assured, the brush really does work.  I hope you like it.  

Great idea, but better to obviate the problem by using a spherical wheel that can go all directions and with a transition mode like the f35 jet that mixes helicopter and jet characteristics into the controls in the transition period. the equivalent would be standing still and increasing speed. you would want different characteristics.

Having said that. I thnk I will buy a pair. nice for teaching others. Also It will be included in the dream electric unicycle. But they would be deployable as a landing gear and be slightly stiffer. You ride to your destination, stop step off and by stepping off, your wheight comes off the pedals and a mechanism lets the bristles or other type of landing gear come down, allowing you to do your shopping, stepping back on with bags in hands and just riding off. Genious, no?

27 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

Great idea, but better to obviate the problem by using a spherical wheel that can go all directions and with a transition mode like the f35 jet that mixes helicopter and jet characteristics into the controls in the transition period. the equivalent would be standing still and increasing speed. you would want different characteristics.

Having said that. I thnk I will buy a pair. nice for teaching others. Also It will be included in the dream electric unicycle. But they would be deployable as a landing gear and be slightly stiffer. You ride to your destination, stop step off and by stepping off, your wheight comes off the pedals and a mechanism lets the bristles or other type of landing gear come down, allowing you to do your shopping, stepping back on with bags in hands and just riding off. Genious, no?

No 

11 hours ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

10 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

If it works, I'm going to be putting in an order for a batch these. It may look crazy, but the principle looks sound. There's undeniably a need for an effective learning aid for newbies. 

The idea is actually not bad at all (if it works). Almost genius. Who came up with it, and how?

I personally don't think people need any training wheels or aids (though maybe some people really do need them?). But even if all this eventually does is lower the psychological barrier to entry ("There are these training things I can use"), that alone makes it worth it.

I am betting that part of that Go fund me money will be going to cover the patent filing. I would be in for a piece of the action.

Think about a unicycle streetcleaning team for the Doo Dah parade this year! That would be a great promotion!

I like it better than the training wheels option, because it encourages better riding behavior.

Good Job Solowheel! :thumbup:

@RichieV We found it especially helpful for newbies to get over their fear of stepping on a unicycle, gaining confidence and understanding the general dynamics of balance and turning. Once they are comfortable enough, the transition to actual riding with comfort is quite fast. It is especially helpful to newbies who have no one to hold their hand or teach them to ride. 

I ordered one for myself, even though I'm not a newbie. Here is what I think I'll be using it for: learning the new freestyle tricks! Can't say anything without trying, but it seems to me very likely that these things will be helpful when trying out and training quite a few freestyle moves, which look too scary to try without some "safety leash" :)

just taught myself and this is what i used. with a pair of leather gloves, anybody can safely learn the feel of the wheel and learn how to ride without injury. if i had a store selling wheels i’d have a permanent set of railings inside the store. even though i’m riding now, i still have this set up for future learning like reverse, pendulums, one foot etc.

2F1C4672-62FA-4CC1-99D8-7F1485DF4936.jpeg

Thanks for your support all!

7 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

Think about a unicycle streetcleaning team for the Doo Dah parade this year! That would be a great promotion!

I like it better than the training wheels option, because it encourages better riding behavior.

Good Job Solowheel! :thumbup:

This is cracking me up.. I should have used that as one of the joke uses at the end of the video. :roflmao:

20 hours ago, RichieV said:

these would be useful in learning how to ride backwards

If you cant walk backwards, you wont find it easy to ride backwards. Try walking backwards first, then get on the EUC and transfer that skill. You will find noticeable improvements using this technique. Its the first step or thrust on the EUC that starts the movement for better or worse. So practice that walking first, then get on the EUC. 

Those brushes should be good for that.

Solowheel lent us the brushes to try out...  In our [random] tests on the public, they certainly do the job much more effectively than training Wheels.

The current clamping supports are not very flexible for fitting to different pedal shapes, maybe the final design will be different. In the future I'd like to see the price come down so they can be offered as standard equipment for first time buyers. This could very well be the silver bullet for conquering the dreaded 'learning curve'.

Archived