Tesla First Day Fun! - Motor Cutout at 34.3 MPH

51 minutes ago, Cannings said:

So in almost 3hours of riding (My trip to work is about 14 min each way and I don't always record data) I've only been above 25 mph for 3 mins and 5 seconds, here I thought I was flying infact 1hr 45 mins was spent between 10 and 20 mph, which is still pretty good going considering the state of the paths i'm going down and crossing roads etc.

So.....KS16S Speeds then.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Smoother said:

So.....KS16S Speeds then.

lol yeah I guess, I'd put it more down to terrain and weather though, you know what the last few weeks have been like i've been a kite in the wind every trip home this morning was even worse, when we get to summer the wind dies down the suns out and I can go out to some places other than the trash cycle path down the bypass I go down daily then i'll get more out of it

2 hours ago, Cannings said:

This thread made me interested as to how fast I had pushed my tesla, so from 65k lines of csv data provided by wheel log and a quick mph = km / 1.609344 conversion it seems I've actually managed to hit 34 mph

Which I then thought right I some how managed to spike at 34.6mph for 1 seconds at 16:04 on 4/1/18 looking at the data around it:That was definitely me falling off after setting off from work, infact I think I remember it quite embarrassing, went onto the grass mud was wet and I was down, so I then looked at how much time i'd actually spent at the higher echelons of the tesla speed ability:

So in almost 3hours of riding (My trip to work is about 14 min each way and I don't always record data) I've only been above 25 mph for 3 mins and 5 seconds, here I thought I was flying infact 1hr 45 mins was spent between 10 and 20 mph, which is still pretty good going considering the state of the paths i'm going down and crossing roads etc.

Well that was a fun bit of data :)

I do love Wheel Log, but haven't yet exported any of the logs to Microsoft Excel to graph them.  The data I was pulling for my ride came from my Garmin 520 cycling computer that I had on me at the time, and I just pulled the chart from Garmin's website after uploading directly from my unit.

Riding above 25 MPH is so smooth and fluid on the Tesla, and with a full face helmet on it's hard to hear the beeps, so I've been using my Garmin and holding it in my hands to track my speed.  After my crash, I've been much more cautious of my speed and generally try to keep it around 25 MPH has my max safe speed, taking the advice of @Marty Backe.

47 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

I do love Wheel Log, but haven't yet exported any of the logs to Microsoft Excel to graph them.  The data I was pulling for my ride came from my Garmin 520 cycling computer that I had on me at the time, and I just pulled the chart from Garmin's website after uploading directly from my unit.

Riding above 25 MPH is so smooth and fluid on the Tesla, and with a full face helmet on it's hard to hear the beeps, so I've been using my Garmin and holding it in my hands to track my speed.  After my crash, I've been much more cautious of my speed and generally try to keep it around 25 MPH has my max safe speed, taking the advice of @Marty Backe.

Now that I have the pebble on my glove its a godsend for tracking my speed, I always have my headphones in and helmet on so don't hear the alarm even when it does go off

On 11/02/2018 at 6:01 AM, Charles McLean said:

Hey Everyone!

I got my 1020 Wh Tesla today from @Jason McNeil at http://www.ewheels.com ... thanks Jason!  Opened it up, charged it up and headed out the door for my first range test!  As I expected, I got 29.1 miles before the wheel was no fun to ride anymore (constantly beeping around 8 mph).  I weigh 205 lbs and was expecting to get about 30 miles based on an average cruising speed between 22 - 25 mph, so the Tesla lived up to my expectations.  

I came back home, charged the wheel back up in about 2.5 hours with the 5A fast charger (thanks again Jason) and took her out to see what she could really do.  I experienced a motor cutout at 34.3 mph when I was about 11 miles into my ride.  Admittedly it was completely my fault for pushing the wheel to it's limits, but I have to be honest, the Tesla rides so smooth and has so much power, I didn't even notice I was going that fast!  I was wearing a full face helmet and didn't hear the beeps and because I disabled the pedal tilt back (again my fault) I didn't have any other indication from the wheel I should slow down.  So, I'll probably re-enable the pedal tilt back when I'm wearing my full face helmet, since clearly I didn't respect the beep because I didn't hear it.  

With full protective gear the tumble I took at full speed didn't feel like much at all.  I got back up, dusted myself off and aside from some superficial scratches on the shell of the Tesla, some scratches on my wrist guards, and a rip in the elbow of my lightweight motorcycle jacket, there was no other damage!  Honestly, based on some of the horror stories I've read on various forums, I was expecting to find the Tesla shell cracked and laying in a dozen pieces on the side of the road ... but I was pleasantly surprised, and extremely relieved!  The Tesla still rode great and I made it back home cruising around 25 mph with the wheel riding rock steady the whole way back.

As far as first impressions go, the Tesla is amazing!  I found myself typically crusing around 25 mph, which after a few short minutes once I got the wheel dialed in, didn't seem fast at all.  The ride was so stable (no wobble) with so much available power even in the high end of the speed range, that 25 mph seemed like a leisurely, casual ride and I didn't even notice I was going 34.3 mph until I was sliding across asphalt.

Soooo ... my lessons learned from today (1) The Tesla is amazing (2) You can't respect the beep if you can't hear it (3) full protective gear is your friend!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DGI8C9BDYPBSYpva2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bKdjj9k1GxljxMlv2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RgOqkJ6h5qIRlZ693

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ElJgTuESdaUCUvhG2

Happy Riding!

Chuck McLean

I read your name as charles mc LEAN first. lol

On 2/11/2018 at 7:26 PM, Charles McLean said:

I think the fact that I was able to "slide" across the asphalt instead of tumbling or rolling helped prevent a lot of injury.  Also the fact that I didn't impact into a curb or parked car was a blessing.  Wrist guards took quite a beating and I'll probably get a new pair, but I'm grateful I was wearing them!

"slide" across the asphalt.  Yes, I believe a slide dissipates the energy of the fall, better than sticking the landing like a gymnast, like @Rehab1 did, unfortunately.

Also the fact that I didn't impact into a curb or parked car was a blessing. See my post about the next 2 seconds regarding where we end up if we fall, so that this is less of a blessing and more planned for.

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

slide" across the asphalt.  Yes, I believe a slide dissipates the energy of the fall, better than sticking the landing like a gymnast, like @Rehab1 did, unfortunately.

Did I get 10s for sticking the landing perfectly? 

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yes; 10s of thousands in medical bills.  :unsure:

:crying:I could have bought a ton of EUCs. Instead I got screwed, plated and boned. 

11 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

:crying:I could have bought a ton of EUCs. Instead I got screwed, plated and boned

Well, to quote Meatloaf "Two Outta Three Aint Bad" Although better the boner than the boned for us, eh?

Archived