Tesla First Day Fun! - Motor Cutout at 34.3 MPH

45 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

@Marty Backe do you have a link to a pebble watch you know works with the Wheel log app and Tesla?  I'll definitely be investing.

I looooove my Tesla!  I took it for another ride today around 15-20 mph just to check it out again and make sure it's still running fine and it is ... performs like it just came out of the box ... rock solid!

Take a look at one of my latest videos (see today in the Video thread). In the video description is a list of all my gear including the watch.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Charles McLean said:

Here is a pic of the protective gear I was wearing:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/CU12SCnsC22FZmrC3

LS2 hybrid motorcycle helmet, Speed & Strength (SS) light weight motorcycle jacket with built in shoulder, elbow, chest and back pads, protec knee and elbow pads and wrist guards that came with the Tesla from EWheels.com.

I was wearing the elbow pads underneath my jacket ( I didn't like how they fit over the jacket), and landed squarely (and primarily) on my right elbow first and a little bit of my right hip.  My jacket has no other scuffs except for my right elbow.  After landing on my elbow, I put my hands down and slid for a while on my right knee pad and wrist guards until I came to a stop.  I think the fact that I was able to "slide" across the asphalt instead of tumbling or rolling helped prevent a lot of injury.  Also the fact that I didn't impact into a curb or parked car was a blessing.  Wrist guards took quite a beating and I'll probably get a new pair, but I'm grateful I was wearing them!

Can you tell me if you could comfortably wear ear buds in your LS2 helmet. The only thing I don't like about my Scorpion helmet is the tight fit around the ears. Also, your inner sun shield looks clear. Does it come with a smoke sun shield too?

Thanks. 

16 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

I made it back home cruising around 25 mph with the wheel riding rock steady the whole way back.

Now that's Chutzpah! If I had a Wheel come out from under me at that speed, I would have been in need of a change of trousers & probably taken an UBER back. 

1 hour ago, Cranium said:

Looking at the graph, your speed spikes up quite a bit from your average speed then down to zero.  Were you doing something to increase speed quickly right before the fall?   Is your Garmin set to 1 second recording interval or 'smart' recording interval?

LOL ... that was me saying to myself, "Hey, let's punch it and see what this Tesla can really do!"  :-)  My Garmin 520 is set for "smart" recording interval.  Would you recommend changing it to "1 sec" intervals?

48 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Can you tell me if you could comfortably wear ear buds in your LS2 helmet. The only thing I don't like about my Scorpion helmet is the tight fit around the ears. Also, your inner sun shield looks clear. Does it come with a smoke sun shield too?

Thanks. 

@Marty Backe  Here is a link to the helmet where I bought it on Revzilla.com:  https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ls2-metro-v3-helmet

Yes, there is a cutout around both ear areas that would easily accommodate a Bluetooth headset.  The windscreen is clear but also has a smoked drop down visor you can raise and lower and lots of vents you can open or close for airflow.  It's a great helmet.  You can also add a standard Bluetooth motorcycle helmet ear piece in the helmet.

Just now, Charles McLean said:

@Marty Backe  Here is a link to the helmet where I bought it on Revzilla.com:  https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ls2-metro-v3-helmet

Yes, there is a cutout around both ear areas that would easily accommodate a Bluetooth headset.  The windscreen is clear but also has a smoked drop down visor you can raise and lower and lots of vents you can open or close for airflow.  It's a great helmet.  You can also add a standard Bluetooth motorcycle helmet ear piece in the helmet.

Thanks. I just may get another helmet. Maybe I'll have one helmet per wheel just to keep things interesting :D

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. I just may get another helmet. Maybe I'll have one helmet per wheel just to keep things interesting :D

One thing I forgot to mention. I tried the extra large scorpion helmet like the one you have. It was tight around my ears. I ordered this one because it gives my ears some extra space and is still a nice snug fit. Get the size extra large.

58 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

LOL ... that was me saying to myself, "Hey, let's punch it and see what this Tesla can really do!"  :-)  My Garmin 520 is set for "smart" recording interval.  Would you recommend changing it to "1 sec" intervals?

For this type of activity, yes.  You will have more data being recorded so a more accurate representation of your results for review.  "Smart" recording is more for very long events like a century ride or something longer.  It will adjust the recording frequency to conserve battery so the results if you are changing speed or direction may be not represented as well.  1 second recording will always provide consistent results.  I use a Gamin 1000 and Fenix 5X for tracking activities and have never needed Smart.

2 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

One thing I forgot to mention. I tried the extra large scorpion helmet like the one you have. It was tight around my ears. I ordered this one because it gives my ears some extra space and is still a nice snug fit. Get the size extra large.

Thanks. Large helmets seem to fit me good, so I don't know about extra-large. Hmmm.

Helmets are really tough to buy online :(

55 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. Large helmets seem to fit me good, so I don't know about extra-large. Hmmm.

Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews/

If you know your head shape then you can eliminate most helmets. I personally go with HJC has they fit snug everywhere.

This cost me $100. $100! 

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hjc-fg-17-review/

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews/

If you know your head shape then you can eliminate most helmets. I personally go with HJC has they fit snug everywhere.

This cost me $100. $100! 

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hjc-fg-17-review/

Reviews help but don't necessarily help when it comes to finding a helmet that fits. And style is very personal. I don't like the looks of most helmets, for EUC riding.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Let me build a custom helmet for you. We would just need to use a larger CNC machine for your big head. You can design any graphic you want on it. Think.of all the ladies starting in delight as you ride by.

40214176761_a9d91c403b_b.jpg

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Let me build a custom helmet for you. We would just need to use a larger CNC machine for your big head. You can design any graphic you want on it. Think.of all the ladies starting in delight as you ride by.

I think the baby's appearance is better than mine so I wouldn't count on the same reaction from the ladies. Although I may have about as many teeth by my next faceplant.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Reviews help but don't necessarily help when it comes to finding a helmet that fits. And style is very personal. I don't like the looks of most helmets, for EUC riding.

You can visit a motorcycle store and try several brands, then stick with that brand just for the head shape.

The style is what you'll put up with to have a thick EPS lined chinbar, because that's what bicycle helmets do not have. Motorcycle helmets are designed to take impacts from the front...from concrete.

But you already have some very nice helmets. What need aren't they fulfilling?

32 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

You can visit a motorcycle store and try several brands, then stick with that brand just for the head shape.

The style is what you'll put up with to have a thick EPS lined chinbar, because that's what bicycle helmets do not have. Motorcycle helmets are designed to take impacts from the front...from concrete.

But you already have some very nice helmets. What need aren't they fulfilling?

As mentioned a few posts up, the Scorpion is a nice snug fit but there is zero accommodation for ear buds, so listening to music is not comfortable after awhile. I'm considering getting another that is designed for bluetooth, etc.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

As mentioned a few posts up, the Scorpion is a nice snug fit but there is zero accommodation for ear buds, so listening to music is not comfortable after awhile. I'm considering getting another that is designed for bluetooth, etc.

You could always use the Bluetooth speakers on your King Song...

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Oooohh... Could you make me one with real flowing (blondish) hair? 

#IWantToBeLikeMarty

7 hours ago, Cranium said:

For this type of activity, yes.  You will have more data being recorded so a more accurate representation of your results for review.  "Smart" recording is more for very long events like a century ride or something longer.  It will adjust the recording frequency to conserve battery so the results if you are changing speed or direction may be not represented as well.  1 second recording will always provide consistent results.  I use a Gamin 1000 and Fenix 5X for tracking activities and have never needed Smart.

Thanks for the advice.  I made the change in my Garmin.  I appreciate it!

On 2/11/2018 at 7:40 PM, Charles McLean said:

I must have slid about 20 feet

Glad you weren't hurt. Your comment above leads into a post I made a while back.

Sorry, the pictures have disappeared. I need to find a better photo hosting site. 

It deals with being aware of your actual direction of travel at any particular moment and the evaluation of that direction of travel if you found yourself suddenly  sliding that way on your chest, for whatever reason. You @Charles McLean were, presumably, lucky that your slide was obstacle free. Imagine that slide towards something like a cast iron railing. Usually, our paths are relatively clear at speed, but if you introduce weaving around pedestrians or slaloming for fun, our potential slide path can conflict with others and or objects with potentially disastrous consequences 

20 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You could do what I did and transplant some headphone speakers into your Scorpion. See helmet thread. Works well  

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

You could do what I did and transplant some headphone speakers into your Scorpion like I did. See helmet thread. Works well  

Thanks, I'll check it out.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:26 AM, Jason McNeil said:

That's terrifying, even with full protection! Sort of goes back to age-old debate of whether the audible alerts are sufficient to protect Riders from potentially life-altering catastrophe. I'm of the firm belief that GW would be doing themselves a great service by capping the max speed to 50kph with the graded tilt-back. Does it really matter that a couple MPH of theoretical top speed is lost to preserve life-and-limb? Glad you're okay, but please please be careful out there :o

I've always thought that near maximum safe speed (with some reserve 8-10 kph on tap) gradual tilt-back should be standard on wheels.  On the Ninebot One E+ nearing 22 kph it tilts gradually back so you know you're approaching the safe limit without any beeps.  It's like an invisible soft wall that goes whoa and pulls back on the reigns to keep you safe.  You can simple feel when 20-22 kph is near so it's very intuitive without relying on beeps or vibrations.  It just seems to work most of the time.

With smart firmware and app recorded rider weight parameters the gradual tilt-back could also be on a sliding scale in relation to battery charge and load so that the "safe maximum speed" drops as battery reserve goes down.   With a built-in GPS, it could also determine whether the wheel is climbing a hill to factor additional load allowances to peg the safe speed, but that's getting a little too far into the future...  Maybe there's a simpler way to calculate average energy used and note the rate of usage to correlate with hill climbing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 6:01 AM, Charles McLean said:

the Tesla rides so smooth and has so much power

i think it rides so nice and smooth'

its like you almost forget how much speed it ramps up so fast. but its still smooth so you dont notice it

you have to be aware slow down when you hear the beeps. and get a feel for when the beeps usually start. and then you just never exceed that speed

This thread made me interested as to how fast I had pushed my tesla, so from 65k lines of csv data provided by wheel log and a quick mph = km / 1.609344 conversion it seems I've actually managed to hit 34 mph

image.thumb.png.46e60ffd56c46a2a519458e8640e2f0c.png

Which I then thought right I some how managed to spike at 34.6mph for 1 seconds at 16:04 on 4/1/18 looking at the data around it:

That was definitely me falling off after setting off from work, infact I think I remember it quite embarrassing, went onto the grass mud was wet and I was down, so I then looked at how much time i'd actually spent at the higher echelons of the tesla speed ability:

image.png.ab49ceeffd2dd19b318575ec8e1ddf9a.png

So in almost 3hours of riding (My trip to work is about 14 min each way and I don't always record data) I've only been above 25 mph for 3 mins and 5 seconds, here I thought I was flying infact 1hr 45 mins was spent between 10 and 20 mph, which is still pretty good going considering the state of the paths i'm going down and crossing roads etc.

Well that was a fun bit of data :)

12 minutes ago, Cannings said:

This thread made me interested as to how fast I had pushed my tesla, so from 65k lines of csv data provided by wheel log and a quick mph = km / 1.609344 conversion it seems I've actually managed to hit 34 mph

image.thumb.png.46e60ffd56c46a2a519458e8640e2f0c.png

Which I then thought right I some how managed to spike at 34.6mph for 1 seconds at 16:04 on 4/1/18 looking at the data around it:

That was definitely me falling off after setting off from work, infact I think I remember it quite embarrassing, went onto the grass mud was wet and I was down, so I then looked at how much time i'd actually spent at the higher echelons of the tesla speed ability:

image.png.ab49ceeffd2dd19b318575ec8e1ddf9a.png

So in almost 3hours of riding (My trip to work is about 14 min each way and I don't always record data) I've only been above 25 mph for 3 mins and 5 seconds, here I thought I was flying infact 1hr 45 mins was spent between 10 and 20 mph, which is still pretty good going considering the state of the paths i'm going down and crossing roads etc.

Well that was a fun bit of data :)

damn.. i need to get wheellog... But first i need q phone to run it

Archived