King Song 14C (800W|680Wh|28km/h)

Vladimir Slaykovsky

10 days ago I purchased King Song 14C wheel at http://wheelgo.com in London. Here are my first impressions. 

The most important feature of this wheel, and the main reason of choosing this model is speed. It’s amazing 28km/h! Such speed is not even achievable on Rockwheels with their fancy reduction gears. The only wheel comparable to KS on the market today is Gotway, but they are quite unsafe. If you fall down from IPS at 14km/h you just make couple more steps forward. But if the same happens with Gotway at 28km/h you risk to injure yourself seriously and to damage your wheel. In compare to many other wheels King Songs are extremely reliable even when riding at high speed, riding uphill, riding over road bumps. I was not able to drop the wheel though I rode it at the maximum speed many times.

Things I love in KS-14C:

• Unbeatable speed among 14 inches wheels!
  • Impressive 60km run on one charge
  • Tuning of neutral tilt of pedals using Android app
  • Flashlight that turns on automatically at night. It is way more convenient than using your phone’s torch  
  • Automatic switching off when the wheel is dropped. Automatic switching on after recovery. 
  • Big comfortable handle. 
  • BT music :)

Things that may be useful:

• USB charger
  • Different riding modes (aggressive mode/normal mode/soft mode) configurable from app.
  • Real-time battery and engine metrics in app. 

Here are all downsides of my model I found during my first week of use:

• USB port lid is made of piece of rubber, I lost it during my first ride. 
  • At the moment of writing this review I couldn’t find an iOS application for managing the wheel. So I take two phones on my rides: one (iOS) for calls, other (Android) for the wheel.
  • It's not possible to configure volume and speed limits for beeping sound. First I worried about it but now I’ve changed my mind. Beeping sound not only helps your stay alert and ride safer but also warns people who don't expect to see a you in advance. It’s possible to physically unplug speakers from the mainboard for those who prefer silence.
  • I expected that it will be possible to use pedal as a stand, but it isn’t.

As a conclusion imho KS-14C wheel is one of the most advanced wheels on the market today and I’m excited to own one of them!

Few words about the shop. Jason (http://forum.electricunicycle.org/profile/191-jason-mcneil/) was the single point of contact for me. He was very responsive from the beginning. First we met in the city center for a test drive, he was courageous enough to let me try to ride his own wheel:) I bought a wheel next day after the test drive. 

After the first charge my power adapter died. When I complained about it to Jason he arranged our meeting the same day. We figured out that the problem was with power adapter and soon he delivered me a new adapter module. 

So despite of high quality of King Song wheels it still makes sense to have local warranty to be able to resolve such problems quickly. 

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Replacement for broken adapter

IMG_0156.thumb.JPG.1ce55718d93f53ed1f582

Wheel switched on

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.ff9e0965de4d1310d0b1e

Blablabla 60-80km indicates 680Wh battery

IMG_0161.thumb.JPG.e7db5f911401e0bd43316

Edited by Vladimir Slaykovsky
  • Upvote 3

Here it says: 22-25 km/h

m.ebay.com/itm/Kingsong-Electric-unicycle-big-battery-680wh-long-range-high-speed-scooter-/252063398555?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202348%2526meid%253Dd7173c669f6e4a5da54e52aa9245e0cf%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D1%2526rkt%253D1%2526sd%253D252051534506&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Has The APP an indicator for speed?

Edited by vemalilu

Here it says: 22-25 km/h

m.ebay.com/itm/Kingsong-Electric-unicycle-big-battery-680wh-long-range-high-speed-scooter-/252063398555?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202348%2526meid%253Dd7173c669f6e4a5da54e52aa9245e0cf%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D1%2526rkt%253D1%2526sd%253D252051534506&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Has The APP an indicator for speed?

That's a different model I believe --- 500w motor vs 800watt. Though I may be wrong.

Edited by Sigil

Thanks for the review, the King Song models are definitely moving up the list for my third EUC. I wish they had a 16-inch model.

Sounds like @Jason McNeil did a great job with support! That looks like the same fan-free charger that comes with the Firewheel and it seems to be good quality. I bought two chargers so that I could keep one at home and take one with me. I actually ended up using the charger (with a fan) from my cheap 14-inch wheel when I travel because it is a lot lighter to carry in a backpack.

• Upvote 1

Interesting that the charger has a fixed cable on the wall-plug end, at least that's the way the picture looks.

The US units we are shipping use a commodity computer power cable style that you can disconnect. Perhaps there's some variation in the parts they're shipping.

Interesting that the charger has a fixed cable on the wall-plug end, at least that's the way the picture looks.

The US units we are shipping use a commodity computer power cable style that you can disconnect. Perhaps there's some variation in the parts they're shipping.

Hey Kale,

Are your units single colors?  (that all black is sexy)

Edited by Sigil

Awful design

Glad to have another strong voice here on the forums! You should offer King Song your industrial design services, Mr Rash.

I like the look of the King Song unis, but perhaps not better than every single other brand out there. It's what is on the inside that I love about King Song, and the feeling of the ride.

• Upvote 2

The problem with the round designs is that they are all about looks and take very little notice of ergonomics. The human body doesn't conform easily or comfortably to a round design. 

I'm very worried that Gotway seem to be following this same "designers fantasy" form with the upcoming mcm redesign as well. 

Personally I put comfort and ease of use way above looks as a design criteria.

• Upvote 1

No. It feels the same as my 14kg IPS F400 that I had in the past. But I cannot be sure. 

Do you have any way to put i ton a scale (or to step yourself on a scale with and without the unit)? There are conflicting reports of how much that unit weighs, and would be good to have final confirmation

This is not an original power cable of this model. It's a replacement for broken adapter. 

• Upvote 1

King Song  sent us some flaky chargers. It was very peculiar, because they worked on the first charge, then produced at 33.5v output. They've since changer suppliers... Thanks Vladimir for your patience with this issue.

In another post, a pair of bathroom scales had 14.6kg
http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/714-kingsong-14c-first-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=8429

Edited by Jason McNeil
  • Upvote 1

Владимир, приглашал Вас в личном сообщении, но видимо Вы или не захотели или не прочитали)

Приглашаю вас на российский форум моноколес, там даже есть специальная тема по KS, возможно вы могли бы дать новую информацию соотечественникам.

http://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?topic=29428.0