wheel choice

unicarl

Hi All, I've got the bug now and want to upgrade to my next wheel, i started with a TG F3 and am now a little bored with the performance. I've read lots of reviews etc and now am torn between the Gotway M super 18 and the F779 Firewheel, based on the wealth of experience of you guys which should I go for?, my main use is parks and fields, I want something durable and reliable as well as quick and stable.

For paved surfaces/city use, I'd personally pick Firewheel from those two, though I might be a bit biased (I haven't ever ridden an MSuper, and think that the MSuper might be too heavy for me), but for off-road I'd say go for MSuper. Firewheel's been good to me so far, and you can "make it work" once you shunt and seal it, but newer Gotways apparently don't need to be shunted (I've understood that the discharge-side protection mosfets are already removed completely), don't know about the sealing, plus they've got a 1000W motor vs. 550W on Firewheel, so much more powerful. Bigger wheel should make it much more suitable for off-roading and uneven surfaces (parks & fields) at the cost of some maneuverability and extra weight. 680Wh MSuper is pretty much on-par with F779 in regards to battery (F779 is NOT 779Wh, but 696Wh, like I've probably stated many, many times already), plus MSupers have the option for 850Wh battery, so you'll really have to press it hard (vee73-style ;)) to run out of juice and power. Not so sure on prices, but I think at least 680Wh MSuper could be close to F779-price.

Safety-wise, they both lack speed-based tilt-back, and I think Gotways still just suddenly cut-out at max speed (I haven't ever experienced a cut-out on Firewheel, but it would probably run out of torque and tilt forwards if I kept accelerating way beyond 30km/h), so both are pretty much equally "unsafe", but it looks like that's the price to pay for high top-speed (granted that there are now wheels up to 30km/h max & tilt-back, like 14" IPS Zero & 16" IPS Xima Lhotz). Just be careful and take your time to learn the "behavior" of the wheel before taking it to limits... :P

There's also the 800w KingSon which having tested at the weekend I can say is on a par for speed with the Gotway mcm2s+ but with added tilt back safety which worked in a progressive but positive way meaning you would have to try very hard and be determined to crash in order to force it through the tilt.

Archived