Hello Everyone, Soon to be New Wheeler Here

Colorado CJ

1 hour ago, Colorado CJ said:

Today I beat my distance record, though it was in two parts (had lunch in between).  First I rode to Walmart to get some ingredients for ribs I'm going to smoke tomorrow for my dad's birthday.  Total was 15 miles round trip.  Ate some lunch back at home and then rode to Best Buy to pick up his present.  Total of 25 miles round trip.

Today's total is 40 miles!  My traveling speed averaged ~20 m.p.h.  and when I got home my battery was at 34%.

Man this thing is FUN!

I'm getting much more comfortable riding.  It is so fun to just flow around corners and inbetween trees. I now have a total of 245 miles on the wheel in mu 3 weeks of owning it.

An average speed of 20-mph is extremely fast. On my 45+ mile rides I rarely average much above 15-mph due to the various stops, slow-downs, etc. The majority of your riding must be non-top. Either that or you like to cruise a lot at abover 25-mph speeds :cry2:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be great!  Or we could meet somewhere in between. The Poudre river Trail is an up and back trail, so it is about 42 miles if you ride from the start and back.

The couple on YouTube invited me to ride with them once I got used to riding.  They seen my post on the Gotway America page on Facebook and messaged me.

There is also a Jason in Denver that rides.

We should all have a group ride sometime this spring.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

An average speed of 20-mph is extremely fast. On my 45+ mile rides I rarely average much above 15-mph due to the various stops, slow-downs, etc. The majority of your riding must be non-top. Either that or you like to cruise a lot at abover 25-mph speeds :cry2:

I meant to say my average cruising speed is 20 m.p.h.  I have my first and second alarm off and my tilt back kicks in at around 23 m.p.h.  Most the time when I look at my watch, I am between 20-22 m.p.h.

1 hour ago, Colorado CJ said:

I meant to say my average cruising speed is 20 m.p.h.  I have my first and second alarm off and my tilt back kicks in at around 23 m.p.h.  Most the time when I look at my watch, I am between 20-22 m.p.h.

Ah, OK. That's about my cruising speed too when I'm on some nice pavement.

Tilt-back is disabled on all of my wheels. You're familiar with the safety concerns of high-speed tilt-back, which is why many of us turn it off?

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Ah, OK. That's about my cruising speed too when I'm on some nice pavement.

Tilt-back is disabled on all of my wheels. You're familiar with the safety concerns of high-speed tilt-back, which is why many of us turn it off?

No, I thought tilt back was a safety feature, so I have it set on.  I keep a good eye on my battery power and I don't go fast when my battery reaches 20% cruising.  

Should I turn tilt back off?

31 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

No, dont turn it back off. It really isnt as bad as these guys make it out to be. The KS18s has a very subtle lean back and its a much lower risk factor than on the odds on an overspeed cut out without it.

Colorado CJ is riding a GW ACM2...........I thought the GW guys say at high speed the tiltback on a GW Wheel can potentially cause a cutout, that’s why they tend to turn it off?????

Oh well the odds are still in your favor even in that case. Also could mean that it was on its way to happening, but even a little bit of extra warning of tilt back is bound to help.

I am curious about - if tiltback causes braking which also causes power generation that could help in generating more power for use in keeping the EUC upright, and or cause a power spike in the board. In the latter case, I would not turn on the tiltback.

6 hours ago, Colorado CJ said:

No, I thought tilt back was a safety feature, so I have it set on.  I keep a good eye on my battery power and I don't go fast when my battery reaches 20% cruising.  

Should I turn tilt back off?

Not everyone is a believer, but many are. The theory is that if tilt-back kicks in while the motor is working hard (going fast) and there's not a tremendous battery reserve, the extra power required for the tilt-back would not be available and you get a cutout.

Everyone finds their own peace in riding, but I disable tilt-back on all of my wheels. I never ride (I reduce my speed) when the 3rd alarm (80% power) sounds. And I use my Pebble watch to buzz my wrist when my speed exceeds 25-mph.

I suppose tilt-back at lower speeds is OK, but I don't want to experience tilt-back when cruising at 25-mph.

Let me chime in on this one, as an "expert" in King Song" tilt back.  First, let me say that some people describe their experience of high speed tilt back (HSTB) as rather mild and not intimidating, and I say good for them.  My experience of HSTB is more on the frightening, violent, painful side.  A violent HSTB accelerates the wheel violently shooting the wheel out in front of you in less than a second.  The resultant shock, instability and imbalance, will either drop you on your ass, or, if you're very lucky, you'll wind the windows down frantically and manage to stay on (head home, change tidy whities).  Is there a cut off after that?  Hard to say.  When I rolled the windows down and stayed on, it kept balancing and rode fine.  When I was ejected, obviously the wheel came to a crashing stop. That was on a KS14C with small 340Wh Battery.  I would like to add I have experienced many mild tilt backs on this wheel, all of them easy to handle, but none of these mild ones came at high speed, to my recollection.

On my KS16s I was riding downhill on my local high street full of people, when I got a mild/violent tilt back.  It shocked me but because it wasn't a full-tilt one, I handled it with minor window winding. I don't know what caused this, possibly speed.  Batteries were fine, slope was downhill.  I didn't feel I was going that fast.

Some people have suggested that to get used to your wheel's tilt back you should set it at a low speed and try it.  I say this doesn't work, for tilt back acts differently at different speeds, power draws, and power availability.  I fully expect ALL lower speed tilt back to be mild.  And I stay away from ALL high speed tilt back 'lest my PTSD return.  YMMV.  This is my experience of two wheels from the same manufacturer (not your manufacturer).  My suggestion to @colorodo CJ is remove your tilt back, but set your 3rd. alarm sensibly, monitor it carefully  and WATCH YOUR SPEED. If you exceed max V IT WILL just cut out on you.

Archived