Jump to content

Hello Everyone, Soon to be New Wheeler Here


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Colorado CJ said:

Yeah it was spinout.  I had to get off the wheel and walk it through some snow that was across the trail.

Good news, I’ve been having to do the same down on the south side of town.

Just concerned for your teeth if you were really going that fast — :roflmao:

Edited by Master Blaster
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone.  I just signed up here yesterday.   I've been wanting to buy a Onewheel for some time.  One of my buddies has one and I've rode for a few minutes. All that changed when I fou

I just got back from my third practice session.  I'm getting the hang of it, though I need to work on turning. It was 14 degrees out and snowing, so this was the only place I could think of to pr

Today I beat my distance record, though it was in two parts (had lunch in between).  First I rode to Walmart to get some ingredients for ribs I'm going to smoke tomorrow for my dad's birthday.  Total

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Colorado CJ said:

Went on a ride with my dad today.  He has an electrified bike using a BBSO2 HD mid drive kit.

This was my longest Ride so far at 27 miles.  I had to stop a couple of times to give my feet a rest.

Longest Ride on the ACM2

 

I’ll raise you a whopping 3 tenths of a mile :roflmao:

5612B14B-5A51-473B-B85E-3A617AD4995F.jpeg

Edited by Master Blaster
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 12:15 AM, Colorado CJ said:

I was first using just a pair of Vans, but they were way too flexible.  I felt like my toes were curling down to try to hold on :)

My 10 1/2s hang way over too.  Others have added pedal extensions and extension/wedges that follow the contour or the sole of the shoe/boot.  I'm thinking of this too, as one's ability to power over things or up steep slopes is severely compromised when your foot is effectively pivoting on the pedal leading edge and pushing down on air.  Same at the back when trying to brake hard or control speed on a serious decent.

Looks like you are doing well.  Two thoughts:

Your practice area (probably abandoned by you now) is stroon with hard sharp obstacles and loads of peddle grabbers (things that will grab your pedals and throw you off in an instant, sideways!  Be careful.

Don't disregard the value of knee pads.  There are 1,000 ways to come off an EUC and 923 of those include knee contact with something hard (not actual numbers, but you get the point).  Having severely skinned both knees at the same time, in another sport, I value my knee pads (although I do confess to leaving them at home in the past, because it was a pain to put them on; until I realized I could just wrap them over my trousers)

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The ACM2 does not spin out like the ACM1 though, so I'm a bit confused:efee47c9c8: But maybe it spins out a little? Or he really did a little speed test:efee8319ab:

When he's talking about spin out, he means when you lift the wheel a little the wheel spins-up. You're thinking about when the feel falls over?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard when you guys keep upvoting me though.

But seriously. Don't buy a wheel. They are fun but too dangerous. The down side is not worth it.

If you buy one of the few wheels that make sense today. that is the TESLA. Or Gotway msuper 1600, you will kill yourself or maime yourself. You will become an ivalide cripple.

Much better to get an ebike.

Get an ebike with a throttle. 20 is at the cusp of what you can run off when these fail.

To get any real speed say 40-50kmh you should get an ebike. 

 

Edited by Keith
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

It's hard when you guys keep upvoting me though.

But seriously. Don't buy a wheel. They are fun but too dangerous. The down side is not worth it.

 

I’m confused here @exoplanet. I find your dream Unicycle thread quite interesting and for the most part understand where you are coming from, but to flat out say not to buy an EUC on an EUC forum is perplexing. You do own and ride one don’t you ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, exoplanet said:

Big wheels give poor accelleration and braking control. easy to fall off. esp down a hill. New designs should compensate for this somehow.

that video where he overbraked

the wheel shot over the cliff zoom

the wheel still worked well

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

I’m confused here @exoplanet. I find your dream Unicycle thread quite interesting and for the most part understand where you are coming from, but to flat out say not to buy an EUC on an EUC forum is perplexing. You do own and ride one don’t you ? 

perhaps.

It's just that I have had a few accidents on bicycle that were bad. So I know accidents are bad. Also I have had an Euc quit on me luckily while I have been prepared or in a low speed. however I have had a few bad ones at high speed. Point is that to get sufficient speed for commuting, an euc is not fast enough without also endangering your life and health. A bicycle is safer at the same speeds and can handle double the speed, say 40 with ease.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

perhaps.

It's just that I have had a few accidents on bicycle that were bad. So I know accidents are bad. Also I have had an Euc quit on me luckily while I have been prepared or in a low speed. however I have had a few bad ones at high speed. Point is that to get sufficient speed for commuting, an euc is not fast enough without also endangering your life and health. A bicycle is safer at the same speeds and can handle double the speed, say 40 with ease.

Okay. I can see where you are coming from. As both a cyclist and EUC(ist)(er)(?) I can agree that at high speed a bike is safer, to an extent . I’ve seen first hand some really serious crashes both at high and low speed during crit races and just out on club rides . So I really believe there are dangers concerning both . 

As far as commuting goes , at least for me , I find EUC the superior mode of transportation. I can cruise pretty comfortably at around 20mph on my ACM or 18mph on my 14D and to date have had no issues . Aside from rider error whether that be pushing too hard or not paying attention to or not knowing the area well enough I think EUC is pretty safe . All these GW failures we hear so much about are predominately the fault of the rider ignoring the wheel telling you to slow TF down or accelerating or declarating too abruptly. Yes , there have been firmware issues and some other hiccups but I believe most of that has been cleared up now . For me EUC is Fast enough to keep up with or out pace most cycle traffic and small enough to carry on public transportation and store inside safely once at work . 

Neither EUC or bicycle handles 40mph “with ease “ . If we are talking electric bike it must have a damn large motor (even if being pedal assisted ) and be traveling on a downward gradient . If strictly pedal power it’s obviously got to be traveling down hill. Even pushing out a sustained power of say 400w or so  (which is epic , only the very top echelon of riders can manage this ) wouldn’t bring you close to 40mph on the flats . At 35+ the handling of a road or MTB becomes extremely twitchy and unstable .As of now there are no EUC’s I know of that go over 40mph . When that Day comes though you better believe I’ll be in line to get one . ? 

and you know ...I’ve been lucky to have not experienced any type of failure or major crash while riding (EUC ...plenty during races on my road bike ) so maybe my attitude will change if ever I do. 

Edited by Scott Henley
Grammar Nazi
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, Colorado CJ said:

That's good to know.  I bought some cheap service/nurse type hightops that have stiff soles from Walmart that seem to work great so far.

I was first using just a pair of Vans, but they were way too flexible.  I felt like my toes were curling down to try to hold on :)

Ha!  I did the same thing.  Walmart $17 pair of And 1 basketball high tops.  Perfect shoe for wheeling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

 As far as commuting goes , at least for me , I find EUC the superior mode of transportation. I can cruise pretty comfortably at around 20mph on my ACM or 18mph on my 14D and to date have had no issues.

For me EUC is Fast enough to keep up with or out pace most cycle traffic and small enough to carry on public transportation and store inside safely once at work . 

I have been a dedicated bike commuter for  the past 14 years and absolutely, no hesitation consider my 18s to be a perfect work commute vehicle.  

Everything has pros and cons.  If your route is ‘traffic safe’, the wheel (and the bike gods will get me) is better.  I’m not dressed like Spider-Man and not sweaty when I arrive.  But I don’t get the same workout as the bike.

What I was pleased to discover is that the wheel workout and the bike workout appear to compliment each other.  My legs feel fresh and ready when I do ride the bike to work after a few wheel commutes.  Before if I missed a few days on the bike my legs would let me know.  Now they feel good and ready to sprint.

My plan is to integrate, not replace, my transportation options.  Car is last option these days.

Speed is relative.  Remember to enjoy the ride.

Edited by Holt
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

What is this R A I N you speak of? :huh:

Is it pronounced like Reign or Rhine? Is that a European word? :shock2:

I dont get it... Use a word we use in Southern California :efee6b18f3: Do you mean Beach Blanket?

Seriously?  Were you sleeping the week half your area got washed away in rain-induced mudslides?  Nah!  Just kidding. I know you were just playing around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, exoplanet said:

It's hard when you guys keep upvoting me though.

But seriously. Don't buy a wheel. They are fun but too dangerous. The down side is not worth it.

If you buy one of the few wheels that make sense today. that is the TESLA. Or Gotway msuper 1600, you will kill yourself or maime yourself. You will become an ivalide cripple.

Much better to get an ebike.

Get an ebike with a throttle. 20 is at the cusp of what you can run off when these fail.

To get any real speed say 40-50kmh you should get an ebike. not a Faceplanter.

I am holding out for one of these. Fuck face planters. I havent face planted yet, but it's just a matter of time. Besides. with these, one can ride in rain, but with normal clothing.

These e-bikes look pretty good, kind of expensive though.

\https://www.juicedbikes.com/collections/e-bikes/products/odk-u350

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/02/2018 at 6:16 AM, Scott Henley said:

Okay. I can see where you are coming from. As both a cyclist and EUC(ist)(er)(?) I can agree that at high speed a bike is safer, to an extent . I’ve seen first hand some really serious crashes both at high and low speed during crit races and just out on club rides . So I really believe there are dangers concerning both . 

As far as commuting goes , at least for me , I find EUC the superior mode of transportation. I can cruise pretty comfortably at around 20mph on my ACM or 18mph on my 14D and to date have had no issues . Aside from rider error whether that be pushing too hard or not paying attention to or not knowing the area well enough I think EUC is pretty safe . All these GW failures we hear so much about are predominately the fault of the rider ignoring the wheel telling you to slow TF down or accelerating or declarating too abruptly. Yes , there have been firmware issues and some other hiccups but I believe most of that has been cleared up now . For me EUC is Fast enough to keep up with or out pace most cycle traffic and small enough to carry on public transportation and store inside safely once at work . 

Neither EUC or bicycle handles 40mph “with ease “ . If we are talking electric bike it must have a damn large motor (even if being pedal assisted ) and be traveling on a downward gradient . If strictly pedal power it’s obviously got to be traveling down hill. Even pushing out a sustained power of say 400w or so  (which is epic , only the very top echelon of riders can manage this ) wouldn’t bring you close to 40mph on the flats . At 35+ the handling of a road or MTB becomes extremely twitchy and unstable .As of now there are no EUC’s I know of that go over 40mph . When that Day comes though you better believe I’ll be in line to get one . ? 

and you know ...I’ve been lucky to have not experienced any type of failure or major crash while riding (EUC ...plenty during races on my road bike ) so maybe my attitude will change if ever I do. 

knots. not miles.

also a bike race requires you to jockey for positions in turns etc.

lastly a less steep fork on bicycle with larger offset will give a moore stable ride.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

knots. not miles.

also a bike race requires you to jockey for positions in turns etc.

lastly a less steep fork on bicycle with larger offset will give a moore stable ride.

A knot is = to something like 1.5mph ..so 40 knots isn’t really sustainable by any form of self propelled vehicle and certainty not by any EUC . (?)

What does fighting for position in s face have to do with anything ? Speed and safety is the topic. 

Sure ....some sort of “chopper” style fork with and inanely large rake would make it more stable . But wouldn’t be UCI compliant and would look jut plain silly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, exoplanet said:

Who cares abot the uci. I dont.

also. have you seen racing motorcycles? they handle fairly well at high way speeds.

also fighting for position is when people make the whole peleton fall.

If you rave or participate in ucu sanctioned events (as I do..well did ) then obviously one would need to care . 

Motorcycles handle higher speed better Bc of their weight and wider tire . As well as the extra rake on the fork. 

Accidents Csn happen any time for any reason . Sure having someone fall in front of you or cross over your rear tire sucks too. 

?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re really doing great, a lot of miles in such a short time and we had a pretty cold (temps below average) February, just think what you’ll be able to do in the summer!!

I should venture up north to your neck of the woods sometime and do a ride with you. I saw a husband and wife couple on YouTube riding GWs up between Ft Collins and Greeley along the river trail, so I know there are some other euc peeps around the area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...