Hello Everyone, Soon to be New Wheeler Here

Colorado CJ

11 minutes ago, Colorado CJ said:
After another 30 minute session I thought to myself, self, this can't be as difficult as it is.

I then went to my shop and checked the tire pressure. 10 Lbs! I filled it up to 48 lbs. and tried riding it in front of my shop. It was SOOO much easier and I was actually doing circuits around the parking lot, including 180's (though sloppily).

I was getting a little discouraged, so I'm glad it was a stupid thing like tire pressure that was making it much more difficult that it should have been.

10? Very funny. It's not your fault - so many people assume that the wheels come properly inflated (sometimes they actually do). But mostly they are almost flat.

The manufacturers should put warning tags on the wheels that tell people to check the pressure and fill appropriately.

I always keep my tire filled to the higher of the two numbers printed on the tire sidewall.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I should have checked it.  

I've watched enough speedyfeet reviews to know he checks his right out of the box, but for some reason I didn't check it.

I have a question though.  I have size 12 1/2 feet.  When I stand on the pedals, should 4" or so of my feet be off the edge of the pedals?  It seems like I need longer pedals.  If I stand further back, it doesn't feel as balanced.

2 hours ago, Colorado CJ said:

Yeah, I should have checked it.  

I've watched enough speedyfeet reviews to know he checks his right out of the box, but for some reason I didn't check it.

I have a question though.  I have size 12 1/2 feet.  When I stand on the pedals, should 4" or so of my feet be off the edge of the pedals?  It seems like I need longer pedals.  If I stand further back, it doesn't feel as balanced.

Those are big feet :o

I really don't think that there is a set rule for this. I would go with your gut feeling, and experiment. If it doesn't feel balanced then it probably isn't.

22 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

10? Very funny. It's not your fault - so many people assume that the wheels come properly inflated (sometimes they actually do). But mostly they are almost flat.

The manufacturers should put warning tags on the wheels that tell people to check the pressure and fill appropriately.

I always keep my tire filled to the higher of the two numbers printed on the tire sidewall.

It might be best if they came very flat (as opposed to just quite low) - that way it would be obvious inflation was required.

Looking pretty good (both your skills and the ACM2... that shell:efeeec645d:).

Only tip I can think of at this point - to balance, rotate your hips/upper body, instead of shifting weight between the feet and using your arms to shift that weight too. But that comes with practice anyways. But it something that you can consciously do if you want.

Good to see the ACM2 really has no more Gotway dance (spinning in place when falling over). It just switched off cleanly. Nice wheel.

Today I rode 9 miles, from my shop and back, down the river trail. It was a little hairy at first since I had to weave between the areas of snow that the plow missed (our city is very good at plowing off he sidewalks/trails).

By the end I was much more comfortable. I think I've found the foot position that I am most comfortable with, though my size 12 1/2 feet stick pretty far over the front of the pedals.

Man, that was fun!  I'll probably ride it again this evening.

1 hour ago, Colorado CJ said:

... though my size 12 1/2 feet stick pretty far over the front of the pedals. ...

Very normal.  I'm only size 8-9.  And my toes/heals are still longer than all EUC pedals I've ridden.

1 hour ago, Colorado CJ said:

It was a little hairy at first since I had to weave between the areas of snow that the plow missed (our city is very good at plowing off he sidewalks/trails).

Nothing makes you learn faster than situations that are a bit above your confort level. Or far above:efef015fe0: And it's fun!

2 hours ago, duaner said:

Very normal.  I'm only size 8-9.  And my toes/heals are still longer than all EUC pedals I've ridden.

That's good to know.  I bought some cheap service/nurse type hightops that have stiff soles from Walmart that seem to work great so far.

I was first using just a pair of Vans, but they were way too flexible.  I felt like my toes were curling down to try to hold on :)

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nothing makes you learn faster than situations that are a bit above your confort level. Or far above:efef015fe0: And it's fun!

Yeah, its a LOT of fun!  I just came back from another ride (~6 miles) that had a few railroad tracks and some rough sidewalks and curbs I had to go up and down.  I felt in control the whole time.  It seems riding around these types of thing will build my control skills much faster than just cruising.

I THINK I AM HOOKED!

CJ, I got my first wheel a couple weeks before you, but you inspired me to finally take it out on the streets for the first time tonight! The streets and sidewalks were covered in sheer ice, and the streets unlit, but I did it anyway and didn't fall! It was nerve wracking because I didn't know how the wheel was going to react on the ice, but it was fine. Now riding my MCM on non-ice surfaces should be a piece of cake!

Thanks for setting a good example and getting out there on the streets in arctic conditions as a brave, brand new rider!

On 2/11/2018 at 4:18 PM, Colorado CJ said:

Yeah, its a LOT of fun!  I just came back from another ride (~6 miles) that had a few railroad tracks and some rough sidewalks and curbs I had to go up and down.  I felt in control the whole time.  It seems riding around these types of thing will build my control skills much faster than just cruising.

I THINK I AM HOOKED!

Yes, if you can find some dirt bike type trails to ride you will gain good control skills. And it's a lot of fun in the process.

Well, I just got back from my longest ride yet, 13 miles.

I've had this wheel, my first wheel for one week now.  I put a grand total of 85 miles on it!  Riding these EUCs is as fun as i thought it was going to be.  I find myself making up errands during the week when I am at my shop, just to have an excuse to ride the wheel to Home Depot or some where else. :) 

On February 14, 2018 at 8:31 PM, Scouts Honor said:

CJ, I got my first wheel a couple weeks before you, but you inspired me to finally take it out on the streets for the first time tonight! The streets and sidewalks were covered in sheer ice, and the streets unlit, but I did it anyway and didn't fall! It was nerve wracking because I didn't know how the wheel was going to react on the ice, but it was fine. Now riding my MCM on non-ice surfaces should be a piece of cake!

Thanks for setting a good example and getting out there on the streets in arctic conditions as a brave, brand new rider!

One of the first videos I saw was of a guy riding his V8 over ice and snow around his country european neighborhood. :o It convinced me I had to get one. Since I live in L.A. I forgot about the ice factor and that video until you mentioned it here. Wow is all I can say. 

20 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

I have been riding in icy snowy conditions for some time now. Ama.

I got the feeling that riding in a straight line on ice was fine (at slowish speeds), but that turning while one ice would be a very bad idea.?

Archived