Do you use the unicycle as cheap transportation or as a fun device occasionally for transportation?

exoplanet

Poll: Do you use the unicycle as cheap transportation or as a fun device occasionally for transportation?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Do you use the unicycle as cheap transportation or as a fun device occasionally for transportation?

• As a transportation device in stead of other means of locomotion
    • As a device you take out once in a while because it is fun.
    • other.
    • both

Ninebot One E+ has a kilometer based award system that ends with the attainment of 10,000 km travelled. I would say that my use of the Ninebot up to and beyond the 5,000 km award was a major motivator to ride the EUC. After a few significant injuries, arthritic knee aggravation and short term sciatica leg and hip pains I stopped riding the Ninebot regularly after reaching 8,000 km. I bought the Gotway Monster with the thought that it's longer battery range, smoother ride and more terrain durable large diameter wheel/tire would allow me to continue riding the remaining 2,000 km with more swiftness, stability and comfort....despite switching away from the inherently pure Ninebot award based merit.

I have about 350 km of riding left before I reach 10,000 km traveled on EUCs.... between the Ninebot One E+ (8,000 km) and the Monster (2,000 km). Hence my most recent rides.

Other than reaching my 10,000 km goal I'm a regular rider for groceries on the Monster to a store less than two miles away.

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Ninebot One E+ has a kilometer based award system that ends with the attainment of 10,000 km travelled. I would say that my use of the Ninebot up to and beyond the 5,000 km award was a major motivator to ride the EUC. After a few significant injuries, arthritic knee aggravation and short term sciatica leg and hip pains I stopped riding the Ninebot regularly after reaching 8,000 km. I bought the Gotway Monster with the thought that it's longer battery range, smoother ride and more terrain durable large diameter wheel/tire would allow me to continue riding the remaining 2,000 km with more swiftness, stability and comfort....despite switching away from the inherently pure Ninebot award based merit.

I have about 350 km of riding left before I reach 10,000 km traveled on EUCs.... between the Ninebot One E+ (8,000 km) and the Monster (2,000 km). Hence my most recent rides.

Other than reaching my 10,000 km goal I'm a regular rider for groceries on the Monster to a store less than two miles away.

Please tell me about your injuries. what happened, and were there long term use problems as well as crash injuries?

11 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

Please tell me about your injuries. what happened, and were there long term use problems as well as crash injuries?

So, you chose  to ask for more information for whatever reason you want this data, but chose not  to acknowledge my request fir addition options... And you add additional topics asking the same thing! And you ad comments that are just gibberish???

Around here (IMHO), that would be considered bad form...

24 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

Please tell me about your injuries.

The typical wrist injuries from the learning mode, riding without any safety gear for about 2,000 miles. Broken shoulder (four stitches in eye lid, displaced greater tuberosity with some proximal  fractures March 2017 at about 6,000 km) and one inadvertent bang of a knee cap while not wearing pads following loss of balance going off a curb at low speed. IMHO most non-riders would find it difficult to understand or cope with the average frequency of wrist injury experienced by many new riders, myself included. 

Local riding conditions have surface issues like frost heaves, old broken sidewalk pavement, snow plow tears in road asphalt, etc. The Ninebot doesn't handle ruts and bumps thicker than a brick. The Gotway Monster is much better at these irregularities as might be inadvertantly encountered while riding at night.

https://youtu.be/R4SB7ADfqj0

7 minutes ago, duaner said:

tfu, it might be best to just ignore. I try to.

Good call @duaner... I recalled that there is a "block user" option under the account settings. And I now have a user added to that category!

1 hour ago, exoplanet said:

Your community reputation score of -17 is unique. Can you elaborate on how you dipped into the negative value range..? What unexpected repercussions arose in specific circumstances ? For example I posted a vertical video once and its orientation LED to being torched. In another instance a video containing moving shadow silhouettes of me while ride was deemed inappropriate.

-17 ....really.....please elaborate.

Another use of my EUC is to reach the lighthouse (built 1871) at the tip of historic Derby Wharf in Salem without walking. The wide tire negotiates the loose gravel found on the last hundred feet of the wharf, whereas the Ninebot One sinks in and almost flops over.

Since riding the EUC to this point has recently  been associated with losing the Superbowl on the same day this use of an EUC might be condoned in limited number of circumstances.

82652.jpg

37 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

I would like to just zoom across those pathces at 30kmh without thinking.

The physics of riding tells us that if we don't slow down or absorb the bump with bent legs then the rider is doomed to part in the vertical with the EUC while it and the rider are in motion.

euc's not being a real and viable means of transportation.

A valid point in the eyes of some authorities, skeptics and car owners.

the payoff is not worth the risk in polite society's views.

Affirming to one interested person at the grocery store that I had at one point (at least) 'fallen off' the EUC was enough to cause the well heeled store patron to walk politely away.

The faceplant factor

Is ridiculous (and anti-good health in acceptance) and somewhat unique to EUC riding.

and something that can never catch on as a mainstream

Little kids , whose parents can afford these expensive EUCs, deserve some protection (choices) beyond safety gear. Watching little kids ride (YouTube) the EUC is both charming and a reminder that I'm much taller and heavier than when I was at age 10 or so.

I do enjoy riding though.

That's the important part.

if your range is sufficien, which mine isnt.)

Typical complaint for many EUCs. Next EUC purchase (oh yeah sure...like I can afford it?) buy a 1000 wh or larger battery EUC

.....but avoid riding to close to the pedestrians and traffic .....

6 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I would say that my use of the Ninebot up to and beyond the 5,000 km award was a major motivator to ride the EUC.

Remarkable. I wouldn't have thought that this works.

3 hours ago, Mono said:

. I wouldn't have thought that this works.

A local and global numeric rank ladder exists for each Ninebot device. Putting miles on the Ninebot ranks the rider nationally (initial app after purchase) and globally. On a day to day, week to week basis watching ones rank pass by those lower (flagged by country) was a strong motivator. The app has changed a bit from when I bought the Ninebot One E+. At one point I wanted to reach the top 100 globally and did. I haven't checked the rank for awhile. The top 100 Ninebot One E+ was relatively static in terms of changes in ladder rank from those below. Now there are also different Ninebot products with separate ladder ranks.

82716.png

Not knowing of or interacting with this EUC forum was probably a motivator too. EUC forum standing based on community feedback works on a different perspective than miles ridden. Knowing only of the Ninebot App rank was like putting blinders on a horse.?

I use the Gotway app to record mileage only and make rider settings for the Monster.

82718.png

EUCs are one of the very few hobbies that brings value to your life by substituting something expensive with a cheaper alternative. Most other hobbies you are financially better off not doing.

Therefore the question is meaningless (I would expect no less from @exoplanet); 100% of people who have an EUC would have used it as both a toy and a tool, the ones who answered "just a toy" mistakenly read the word "mostly" in one of the polls questions when no such word existed.

Archived