Android app to track rides in more detail?

cyberal

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys know of any Android app that would let me track my rides storing GPS data that can be reviewed later on a map showing, not only max/avg speed, but speed at different points during the ride. 

For an example of what I mean, please take a look at the attached photo or this photo album containing screenshots of another app called Diablo Superbike.
This app was designed for motorcycle riders and it tracks speed and lean-angle, and as you can see, there's a slider that you can drag to see your position at that time in the map as well as your speed and angle.

Is there something similar but meant for EUC riders? I'm okay with an app that doesn't really connect to the EUC if it's able to record the path and speed (maybe even elevation?) during the ride, but it'd be great if it actually can connect to it and extract information like battery, temperature, pitch, roll, etc. during the trip.

I've looked at WheelLog but it won't connect to to my InMotion V8. I also tried @palachzzz fork and while it connects, all readings are null (0 or empty). Either way, i don't think this app records what i want. I've also tried the Wheelinfo84v app, and while it also connects, it won't really display any info about my V8. It also doesn't seem to do what i want.

I've tried looking at iOS apps like DarknessBot or Gyrometrics but I don't own an Apple device but from their screenshots, it seems to fall short of what I want.

Any recommendations on alternatives?

PS. @palachzzz any suggestions on getting your fork to work? Does your fork maintain compatibility with the other wheels? I could see myself taking your code as starting point to start my own app to do what I want if it will help other EUC owners than just V8'ers like me.

Screenshot_2013-06-08-19-26-42.png

Activate your "Timeline" in Google Maps, then you'll be tracked automatically everywhere you go. Maps will automatically try to categorize the type of movement based on speed; unfortunately there is no "Electric Unicycling," only "bicycling," which is what I use. Sometimes I ride fast enough that segments of my riding will be categorized as driving!

Strava doesn't integrate with your wheel, but it does capture all travelling stats (including elevation). And the pro version also does bio-metrics. 

Also, it integrates with relive, which generates 3D videos of rides over 20km. 

2 hours ago, cyberal said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys know of any Android app that would let me track my rides storing GPS data that can be reviewed later on a map showing, not only max/avg speed, but speed at different points during the ride. 

For an example of what I mean, please take a look at the attached photo or this photo album containing screenshots of another app called Diablo Superbike.
This app was designed for motorcycle riders and it tracks speed and lean-angle, and as you can see, there's a slider that you can drag to see your position at that time in the map as well as your speed and angle.

Is there something similar but meant for EUC riders? I'm okay with an app that doesn't really connect to the EUC if it's able to record the path and speed (maybe even elevation?) during the ride, but it'd be great if it actually can connect to it and extract information like battery, temperature, pitch, roll, etc. during the trip.

I've looked at WheelLog but it won't connect to to my InMotion V8. I also tried @palachzzz fork and while it connects, all readings are null (0 or empty). Either way, i don't think this app records what i want. I've also tried the Wheelinfo84v app, and while it also connects, it won't really display any info about my V8. It also doesn't seem to do what i want.

I've tried looking at iOS apps like DarknessBot or Gyrometrics but I don't own an Apple device but from their screenshots, it seems to fall short of what I want.

Any recommendations on alternatives?

PS. @palachzzz any suggestions on getting your fork to work? Does your fork maintain compatibility with the other wheels? I could see myself taking your code as starting point to start my own app to do what I want if it will help other EUC owners than just V8'ers like me.

The app that I have been using extensively is called Geo Tracker. I love it. It's been very reliable and easy to use. I export the tracks periodically and they can be imported into Google Earth for further exploration. Here is a 45-mile ride I took last weekend on my ACM.

Screenshot_20180203-145126

Geo-Tracker-2018-02-03-14-51-46

2 hours ago, who_the said:

Activate your "Timeline" in Google Maps, then you'll be tracked automatically everywhere you go. Maps will automatically try to categorize the type of movement based on speed; unfortunately there is no "Electric Unicycling," only "bicycling," which is what I use. Sometimes I ride fast enough that segments of my riding will be categorized as driving!

It's been a long time since I've looked at this. It really is fantastic. I just looked at my Google Maps Timeline for my last 45-mile ride on Sunday. Look at it compared to my screenshot posted above. Thanks for the reminder of this great feature :cheers:

Screenshot 2018-02-03 15.05.10

4 hours ago, who_the said:

Activate your "Timeline" in Google Maps, then you'll be tracked automatically everywhere you go

With the 'Google Maps timeline' hint I recovered a Google map timeline trace of a ride I took around Cape Ann (Rockport) Massachusetts on Dec 2, 2017.
 I find that my 'timeline' maps often have location traces that are inconsistent to what a GPS route trace would be for the route. For example my ride on the trail around 'Goose Cove Reservoir' has a placement mark extending to the Geo located map marker in the reservoirs center although no path or bridge extends to that point on the ground.
81715.png

81716.png

The timeline trace does show the general path taken around the reservoir. Perhaps with a low population density the lack of local home internet wifi spots, a weak wireless phone connection, or other reason explains the frequent deviations from actual path taken around the reservoir.
    'Dogtown' is a very old location on Cape Ann with a now you see it now you don't history going back hundreds of years. 
The reservoir trail I followed was used that day by quite of few owners of.....you guessed it...dogs!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogtown,_Massachusetts

I posted some photos of this ride on this photos (page44) section of the forum. The large rock in one of my pictures (page 44 of photos) is typical of the glacial out flow of rock seen scattered about the woods of the Goose Cove and Dogtown map area.
61859.jpg

54 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

With the 'Google Maps timeline' hint I recovered a Google map timeline trace of a ride I took around Cape Ann (Rockport) Massachusetts on Dec 2, 2017.
 I find that my 'timeline' maps often have location traces that are inconsistent to what a GPS route trace would be for the route. For example my ride on the trail around 'Goose Cove Reservoir' has a placement mark extending to the Geo located map marker in the reservoirs center although no path or bridge extends to that point on the ground.

The timeline trace does show the general path taken around the reservoir. Perhaps with a low population density the lack of local home internet wifi spots, a weak wireless phone connection, or other reason explains the frequent deviations from actual path taken around the reservoir.
    'Dogtown' is a very old location on Cape Ann with a now you see it now you don't history going back hundreds of years. 
The reservoir trail I followed was used that day by quite of few owners of.....you guessed it...dogs!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogtown,_Massachusetts

I posted some photos of this ride on this photos (page44) section of the forum. The large rock in one of my pictures (page 44 of photos) is typical of the glacial out flow of rock seen scattered about the woods of the Goose Cove and Dogtown map area.

I think this is strongly dependent on the quality of the GPS implementation in the phone. My previous Moto phone had marginal GPS compared to my current phone. So my tracking was inconsistent with a lot of missing points. My current phone seems to be a magnitude better in quality.

In your case there were no doubt missing data points, so Google interpolated as best it could to give you a route. 

6 hours ago, cyberal said:

Just to let you know WheelLog does work with the V8. I use it every ride with very few problems. Try removing and reinstalling it. Also get the very latest build from the forum thread about the app. I'll look for it and add it to this post if you can't find it. It may not do what you want but it is still worth running to analyze your wheel metrics in detail.

See the next post....

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, palachzzz said:

Version 2.0.5

Added:
-Gotway 84v correction (from menu)

Reveal hidden contents

Actualy Gotway's controller multiply real voltage value to 0.8, to make it compatible with Gotway official App, that calculate battery percent from reference 67.2V battery. This option in WheelLog just multiply Voltage value to 1.25 (back to real).

Fixed:
-Inmotion zero-speed if drive to another direction for some wheels (like V3Pro and others).
-reset parameters when Gotway MCM option is applyed (like on the picture above)

WheelLog_27092017.apk

44 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

In your case there were no doubt missing data points, so Google interpolated as best it could to give you a route. 

Right....thanks for pointing that out.

With all respect to your best choices in consumer electronics,  using 'Geo Tracker' has produced better tracking than Maps timeline with my 1st generation Moto G which has the app installed but not running on that day. 

Here is a Nov 14, 2017 comparison of both Geotracker and Google Maps timeline. The battery died on that cold day at tip of remote Plum Island, a place having weak wireless connectivity. My Kodak SL10 created a local wifi connection to the Android viewer app for a few pictures and consumed more battery than expected near the end of battery life.

The ride trace out East and South is about the same from the altitude chosen for both Google Maps timeline and GeoTracker

Geotracker 11-14-2017

81726.png

81727.png

Google Maps timeline 11-14-2017

81729.jpg

Southern end of Plum Island at 'Sandy Point'

14 hours ago, who_the said:

Thanks, I do know about this functionality, but it doesn't really do what i wanted because there's no information other than the path. I was looking for something that would be able to "replay" the route and provide speed information at the very minimum.

2 hours ago, cyberal said:

Thanks, I do know about this functionality, but it doesn't really do what i wanted because there's no information other than the path. I was looking for something that would be able to "replay" the route and provide speed information at the very minimum.

BTW, if you use the software that I recommended, you export the track, import it into Google Earth, and you can replay the route at whatever speed you desire.

12 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Just to let you know WheelLog does work with the V8. I use it every ride with very few problems. Try removing and reinstalling it. Also get the very latest build from the forum thread about the app. I'll look for it and add it to this post if you can't find it. It may not do what you want but it is still worth running to analyze your wheel metrics in detail.

See the next post....

Thanks, @WARPed1701D ! I did download the APK but it seems i downloaded a bit older version (26082017.apk) than the one you shared. I'll give this one a try and report back.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The app that I have been using extensively is called Geo Tracker. I love it. It's been very reliable and easy to use. I export the tracks periodically and they can be imported into Google Earth for further exploration. Here is a 45-mile ride I took last weekend on my ACM.

Do you mind sharing the link to the App? I tried searching in play store but i didn't find any app that matched your screenshots. The most similar i found was ZTrack Geotracker.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, if you use the software that I recommended, you export the track, import it into Google Earth, and you can replay the route at whatever speed you desire.

by "replay at whatever speed you desire" i imagine you mean "traveling back and forth" in time to see where the GPS markers appear; however what i meant was that each GPS point would have some "meta data" saying something like: "current speed: 20 km/hr". I guess you could still estimate the speed between points to get something the average speed for each segment but does Google Earth show that information?

I also found this other app GPS Logger which looks quite promising in the amount of data logged (coordinates, speed, compass, etc.) using user-defined accuracy settings. However, this app just records data. It won't do much for visualizing it as it expects the user to export it to some other system. Since this app's source code is in Github i might look into combining WheelLog and GPS Logger to produce an app that tracks EUC-specific data and GPS data to record and visualize it all in a single place... I just need to find some time for that haha

23 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

E.g. Strava, Geotracker (geo-tracker.org, I had to manually install it, does no longer show in the Play Store).

But you won't find anything as good as that motorcycle app (can't you just use that?), I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info on Strava and the link to GeoTracker, @meepmeepmayer. I had completely missed that forum thread you linked to ("Which Map App"), so thanks for that too.

4 hours ago, cyberal said:

Thanks, @WARPed1701D ! I did download the APK but it seems i downloaded a bit older version (26082017.apk) than the one you shared. I'll give this one a try and report back.

Do you mind sharing the link to the App? I tried searching in play store but i didn't find any app that matched your screenshots. The most similar i found was ZTrack Geotracker.

by "replay at whatever speed you desire" i imagine you mean "traveling back and forth" in time to see where the GPS markers appear; however what i meant was that each GPS point would have some "meta data" saying something like: "current speed: 20 km/hr". I guess you could still estimate the speed between points to get something the average speed for each segment but does Google Earth show that information?

I also found this other app GPS Logger which looks quite promising in the amount of data logged (coordinates, speed, compass, etc.) using user-defined accuracy settings. However, this app just records data. It won't do much for visualizing it as it expects the user to export it to some other system. Since this app's source code is in Github i might look into combining WheelLog and GPS Logger to produce an app that tracks EUC-specific data and GPS data to record and visualize it all in a single place... I just need to find some time for that haha

The app is still available as a download from geo-tracker.org   It is no longer under development (last updated in 2016) but I can tell you that I use it all the time and it works great and is very reliable. You can grab a copy from my Dropbox if you prefer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq491zb9zth14jg/geotracker-3.3.0-armv7.apk?dl=0

This app will show you your exact speed at any point in the track from the Statistics page. Click on the chart and you're get an even more detailed chart.

If you export the track and then import it into Google earth, you can get the same information. All you have to do is turn on the Elevation Profile and you'll get an interactive display that shows you your elevation and speed at any point in the track. See this example:

Screenshot 2018-02-04 12.10.33

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The app is still available as a download from geo-tracker.org   It is no longer under development (last updated in 2016) but I can tell you that I use it all the time and it works great and is very reliable. You can grab a copy from my Dropbox if you prefer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq491zb9zth14jg/geotracker-3.3.0-armv7.apk?dl=0

This app will show you your exact speed at any point in the track from the Statistics page. Click on the chart and you're get an even more detailed chart.

If you export the track and then import it into Google earth, you can get the same information. All you have to do is turn on the Elevation Profile and you'll get an interactive display that shows you your elevation and speed at any point in the track. See this example

Nice! thanks for the screenshot. It does look very promising. Also thanks for the APK link. I tried visiting their website but Chrome won't let me open the site since their SSL certificate is expired and didn't bother trying to work around it.

5 hours ago, cyberal said:

So, I uninstalled the previous version, installed this new one and I got the same issue as before: It connects, but nothing gets reported. See screenshots:

Screenshot_20180204-211318.png

Screenshot_20180204-211322.png

If you're using Strava, Endomondo, MapMyRide or Fitness Trackers like Polar or Garmin - you can use "Relive" to convert your map-path into a 3D Video, and enrich it with Photos you took on the way. It work as stand alone as well, find it here:

"Relive - Your 3D Outdoor Videos"

You can find several Demos/Reviews on YouTube as well.  

DSj51Nq.png

1 hour ago, cyberal said:

Nice! thanks for the screenshot. It does look very promising. Also thanks for the APK link. I tried visiting their website but Chrome won't let me open the site since their SSL certificate is expired and didn't bother trying to work around it.

So, I uninstalled the previous version, installed this new one and I got the same issue as before: It connects, but nothing gets reported. See screenshots:

That is odd. Does the official Inmotion app work OK?

10 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

That is odd. Does the official Inmotion app work OK?

Yes, it works just fine. Odd right? I'll mention this issue in the other thread to see if there's anything else i can try.

6 hours ago, cyberal said:

Yes, it works just fine. Odd right? I'll mention this issue in the other thread to see if there's anything else i can try.

I did a search as I remember having problems streaming data back when the first V8 compatible version was released. The issue was checksum related. A fix was apparently implemented in the app but new bugs can be found all the time. The suggested fix was to change the wheel volume in the Inmotion app so a new checksum value was generated. Try it. 

Original discussion about this this below:

On 8/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, palachzzz said:

Yes, I found same problem day ago, and also I found related bug in code, the problem is - incorrect calculated checksum when getting basic info about wheel. A temporary solution for the problem - change the volume of the wheel speaker to another one with the standard application (checksum will change), and maybe it will work again :D

I will put here fixed version some time later. Thank you for feedback)

10 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I did a search as I remember having problems streaming data back when the first V8 compatible version was released. The issue was checksum related. A fix was apparently implemented in the app but new bugs can be found all the time. The suggested fix was to change the wheel volume in the Inmotion app so a new checksum value was generated. Try it.

That worked! thanks a bunch

Archived