100 miles on my 16S

nfoboy

Just crossed the 100 mile mark, with the wheel in hand about 7 weeks.  Definitely not the quickest to the mark I know.  I have worked my way up to the full 35 km/h that she is capable of, but finally did experience the dreaded lower-limit ollie at 27 km/h or so, with charge indicating 50 percent.  Guess that happens on a windy day with 200 lbs trying to cut through it.  

It took me about 20 or so minutes to be up and riding, and my daughter picked it up on the third day of her adventure-in-learning.  (she did end up with a large bump on the rear of her right ankle when it kicked up at her, and it's still there after 5 weeks or so) It has held up well from both of our attempts to break it apart. Definitely recommend safety gear, especially wrist guards, if you are going off-roading with it at all.  Hidden holes can detach the wheel from your feet faster than you can recover, and suddenly you're looking down at the dirt, or up to the sky.

I'm now confident enough to have ridden it around town a bit and on campus. Still can't pendulum or ride backwards, but tight turns and jumping off of curbs is no problem, and I can ride very slow, so I feel safe enough around moving obstacles.

It has been a blast to ride, and to see the expressions of people that wonder "just what the heck is that?"

For anyone that is thinking about getting a wheel, this does seem to tick all of the boxes of speed/reliability/safe/durable that I highly recommend it.

Looking forward to many more miles, and increasing all my skills.  (and for when they come out with a version with a trunk!)

9 hours ago, nfoboy said:

(and for when they come out with a version with a trunk!)

They should really offer some saddle bags for EUCs. You could put water bottles and other small stuff in there, maybe your protective gear while on a break, and it's not in the way of riding at all. No backpack or overfull pockets needed.

12 hours ago, nfoboy said:

Just crossed the 100 mile mark, with the wheel in hand about 7 weeks.  Definitely not the quickest to the mark I know.  I have worked my way up to the full 35 km/h that she is capable of, but finally did experience the dreaded lower-limit ollie at 27 km/h or so, with charge indicating 50 percent.  Guess that happens on a windy day with 200 lbs trying to cut through it.  

It took me about 20 or so minutes to be up and riding, and my daughter picked it up on the third day of her adventure-in-learning.  (she did end up with a large bump on the rear of her right ankle when it kicked up at her, and it's still there after 5 weeks or so) It has held up well from both of our attempts to break it apart. Definitely recommend safety gear, especially wrist guards, if you are going off-roading with it at all.  Hidden holes can detach the wheel from your feet faster than you can recover, and suddenly you're looking down at the dirt, or up to the sky.

I'm now confident enough to have ridden it around town a bit and on campus. Still can't pendulum or ride backwards, but tight turns and jumping off of curbs is no problem, and I can ride very slow, so I feel safe enough around moving obstacles.

It has been a blast to ride, and to see the expressions of people that wonder "just what the heck is that?"

For anyone that is thinking about getting a wheel, this does seem to tick all of the boxes of speed/reliability/safe/durable that I highly recommend it.

Looking forward to many more miles, and increasing all my skills.  (and for when they come out with a version with a trunk!)

It was probably a year before I picked up those skills. But I like how you're somewhat disappointed that after 7-weeks you still can't do these :thumbup: You have a bright future :)

I suspect doing pendulums eventually and naturally leads to riding backwards, as both feel very similar to each other. I think it took me at least a couple of hours to learn pendulums but afterwards just minutes to go backwards.

Archived