Not wearing safety gear!

So, now that I've been riding for more than 6 months, I am getting more confident in my abilities and starting to go on short rides without armor. I've started taking many 5-20 min runs without gear at lower speeds.

I find it quite liberating. Much like riding a motorcycle without a helmet...not suggested, but the experience is worth it.

When not wearing any protection, I find my safety awareness is a bit greater, I don't hit the higher speeds (or at least as much), being unencumbered by all the safety gear makes it a lot easier to ride (especially head movements), and it's nice (sometimes) just to get the scooter out quickly for a short run.

It took some time to get to this point, but some milestone include;

1) Having experienced a few falls/collisions. It's good to know what can cause a fall and how to react. You have to learn that first!

2) Being able to multitask. One goal I had was using my cell phone while riding. It took a couple months to comfortably get to that point, but now it is fairly easy.

3) Knowing your path. The biggest lesson I have learned is that safety gear is the most valuable thing when riding in a new place. When you have taken the same path many times, it's much easier.

Of course, I continue to highly recommend safety gear in general. I wear my armor on ALL morning rides (I'm NOT a morning person, that's when I have most of my accidents!), ALL high speed rides (anytime I am in a rush), ALL long rides (you never know what detour you might take).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you are having fun.

Given you have had a few injury falls while wearing gear that have / are taking a while to heal i'm baffled at your decision to do this, even more so that you feel adding a distraction,  such as using your cell phone while riding, is a milestone towards reduced safety gear. :blink1:

Each to their own. I'm am highly cognizant that even a slow speed fall is sufficient to alter (or even end) my life forever. All the gear all the time. The only way for me. 

Enjoy. 

I have practically never been wearing any safety gear for more than 8000km and I don't plan to start wearing any. Using a helmet is a seduction to feel safe and go with higher speed, with the very well known semi-desastrious outcomes. I strictly keep it below 25km/h always. This is pretty much exactly how fast I can sprint 100m. Sure, I will arrive a few minutes later at destination like that, but I am also much less likely to go to the hospital instead. Speed is what kills, not stumbling just above walking speed. It seems that there are quite a few of us with this approach, they just don't speak up all the time like the pro-helmet crowd does.

I only wear a helmet sometimes, if I'm going really fast or riding in a busy street somewhere. Other than that, I never wear anything. I did a full speed overlean last year and broke my rib. But I don't care. I don't want to die but I've been wrong before, so maybe I do want to die :D

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I'm reminded of this well known (low speed) video... 

She does get up of course... But I'm not sure she wouldn't have preferred a helmet wrapped around her head when she fell.

That's a tough one, as the main emergency safety measure is not available on a seated pedal driven unicycle: bending the knees. 

When I'm out riding and feeling stressed about traffic, often times making a deliberate effort to slow down is all I need in order to enjoy myself again.  I don't feel the desire to go faster than either of my wheels go.  

Still going to end up getting a full faced helmet soon, after resisting it these first four months.  Also upgrading the wrist guards. 

Wow, it's only been four months in the game.  Feels like longer.     

I started wearing safety gear when riding fast last summer. I rode for 1 1/2 years with no gear. I don’t disparage anyone that prefers the freedom but would recommend asking loved ones if they have any concerns about your safety. 

16 hours ago, Mono said:

I strictly keep it below 25km/h always. 

Try a euc cutout at 25km/h and tell me how you will save yourself from that. That's the biggest issue. Been there done that. One second you're riding along, the next second you have your face on the ground. No time to react.

Time will tell, but as I keep it below 25km/h there is a very good chance I will die for other reasons before I will ever be seriously hurt by a cutout. The empirical data also give strong evidence that out-of-the-blue cutouts are the minority of accidents in which EUCers get injured.

Training to intentionally step off at 2/3rd of the personal maximal speed seems to me an idea worth while exploring. If you can't do that, you probably went too fast. Acquiring a body posture and tension where departing from the wheel doesn't end in a disaster is where I am at, in particular before to hit a speed bump or whatnot. Thinking of skateboarders, they separate from their boards all the time without getting hurt.

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Try a euc cutout at 25km/h and tell me how you will save yourself from that. That's the biggest issue. Been there done that. One second you're riding along, the next second you have your face on the ground. No time to react.

Applause!

From own experience and reported experience from others i can also promise, that you dont even need to be that fast. 10-15kmh is allready enough....There is no "Run-away" anymore on an unexspected cutout.

From own experience and reported experience from others i can also promise, that you dont even need to be that fast. 10-15kmh is allready enough....There is no "Run-away" anymore on an unexspected cutout.

Sometimes it's tempting to make promises one cannot keep ;) I have practiced "random cutouts", though at low speed. They are much less scary than I had thought. The trick is of course to not have unexpected "unexpected cutouts" but to expect to have a cutout at any time. A blocked wheel would be even more difficult to handle though. In any case, wheel failures are only a minor reason of injuries, so it's probably not worth while to put them into the focus of our safety attention.

I think rider (dis-)comfort is a factor that can impede progress while learning... I had less gear when I first started riding, but felt somewhat exposed and continued adding protection as I progressed. Eventually, I reached a point were some of the gear felt cumbersome and I had to balance comfort vs. safety. To date, I always wear wrist and knee protection, but often prefer a light cycling 'helmet' over full-face headgear...

Note: Attitude likely to change after 1st faceplant. :wacko:

How often do you fall? I feel it's a numbers game, the more often you fall the likelier the injury even if the percentage of injury falls goes down as your skills in falling increases.

I fall all the time, or rather I bail a lot with a very small number resulting in a roll. A couple of falls per day, a few rolls per week or less. You kinda need a helmet regardless of speed, as the wheel reacts unpredictably and shoots your legs from out of you in the most inventive ways.

At least wear a skateboard helmet. Mine looks banged up, with indentations and deep scratches even though I swear my head hasn't hit the ground yet. It had I just didn't realize it.

I do often ride my S1 short distances without a helmet, but otherwise I have at least my skateboard helmet. I like doing pendulums and I'm sure I'm going to get dumped from that one of these days.

15 hours ago, Mono said:

Sometimes it's tempting to make promises one cannot keep ;) I have practiced "random cutouts", though at low speed. They are much less scary than I had thought.

How did you unpower the wheel?  If you did not completely (and instantaneously) power-off the wheel, then you did not practice a cutout and it was not a random (unexpected) cutout.

In a real unplanned cutout, there is no time to respond.  I'm good at falling (gymnast, tackle sports, etc).  I've have 3 cutouts - only the last did I have enough time to react at all. #1 was riding aggressively (at skatepark) where I got lucky and landed on by butt - an abrupt hard stop but no injury.  #2 was unexpected cut-out dropping off a curb at ~8mph - there is no time to respond - my face contacted the ground simultaneously with the rest of my body, my hands did not move forward to break my fall at all; I got lucky with only one cut where my glasses frame got smashed into my eye-ridge on edge of face. Apparently my head was turned or I would probably have broken some of teeth/nose/jaw/cheek.  #3 Was 5 minutes after #2, I was now actively expecting/fearing a cutout as I rode of the curb again at 3-5mph -- with the slow speed and full expectation of cutout I was barely able to catch myself - my hands touched the ground as I caught my balance.

8 hours ago, duaner said:

How did you unpower the wheel?

I turned it off (activated the kill switch). Some wheels can be turned off at low speed, or even at any speed :o

8 hours ago, duaner said:

In a real unplanned cutout, there is no time to respond.

Did you know that one can ride a coasting unicycle which neither has pedals nor a motor? Or an EUC switched off for that matter, like this guy:

I remember myself two incidents where my EUC disappeared under me instantaneously. In one case a piece of wood blocked the wheel. As a less experienced rider I fell but wasn't hurt (on soft ground). In the other case I totally overlooked a (big) curb in the dark. No time to react, as you would say. Still, in this case I had already more practice and run it off without even being impressed by the incident, just surprised why the wheel could have just disappeared under me (and then, how I could have missed seeing this curb??). Both cases were at comparatively slow speed, probably somewhat between 10 and 15km/h.

EDIT: I could be wrong, but I think that one key point for to not going down when the EUC is failing is to keep the upper body in the same upright position all the time. I aim to just move the wheel under me with my legs. If the wheel disappears I move the legs without the wheel instead. Leaning in with the upper body is risky, because it tends to create a rotational force on the body which is difficult to stop in case the EUC fails.

39 minutes ago, Mono said:

turned it off (activated the kill switch). Some wheels can be turned off at low speed, or even at any speed :o

I totally doubt that.

Power switches and kill switches on our nowadays unicycles are designed the way, that they dont function as long as the wheel is turning.

That's the reason why they changed from mechanic buttons to electronic buttons or sensors.....

And even if it would be true, what has activating a power switch to do with an "unexspected cutout"?

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

I totally doubt that.

Power switches and kill switches on our nowadays unicycles are designed the way, that they dont function as long as the wheel is turning.

That's the reason why they changed from mechanic buttons to electronic buttons or sensors.....

The V8 switch activates up to 5kph. After that it is non responsive. 

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

The V8 switch activates up to 5kph. After that it is non responsive. 

Ok, no movement or nearly no movement.....but was has "self activating" the switch (at 5kmh walking speed) to do with "training" unexspected cutouts at a speed much higher?

Archived