Snow Chains!

tudordewolf

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

Very cool. How well do they perform? What is the ride like with these attached, especially when you have to ride on clear non-icy concrete? Are they easy to remove?

The weather is too nice to test them out right now... they go on and off pretty easily though, and tighten down snugly enough that I'm certain they won't come loose. I use a bit of masking tape to keep the ends on the wheel to get them through the shell.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I just found your post.. 

Any update on the chains? How do they perform? 

I just contacted also the slipnoattraction dealer to see if they could do the same for like the Nikola and the z10..

How do you install them? Easy?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 3:31 PM, Eric plam said:

Hi

I just found your post.. 

Any update on the chains? How do they perform? 

I just contacted also the slipnoattraction dealer to see if they could do the same for like the Nikola and the z10..

How do you install them? Easy?

Thanks

I'm sorry to disappoint, 2 years later I've still never ridden ON them. One drawback is they stick out from the tire enough that they would rub the body; the wheel could turn but it wasn't encouraging.

They install / remove very easily; they're basically two "hoops" of cable with a ladder of chain between them, with threaded fittings on the ends of the cables, which you can even add/remove threadings from to get the fit just right. 

If you have a wheel with at least 5mm of clearance all the way around the tire, I'd say go for it. Maybe even fitting a narrower tire (like a 2.125" tire on a 2.5" rim) to get more space.

Slipnottraction was very helpful and I imagine they're pretty much hand-making these to order, I bet they could fit those wheels no problem. The only weird part about my order is that I wanted just 1 chain as opposed to the usual "set of 2"

• Like 3

With the single exception of soft snow, the ride with those on must be horrible! Even just starting from behind a minor obstacle like a chain makes the launch a bit difficult.

There are now good information on various winter capable tires in several sizes around the forum, and what kinds of studs to install if you need grip on ice. Personally I wouldn’t waste even a second of my time to even try snow chains on an EUC...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 9:34 AM, mrelwood said:

With the single exception of soft snow, the ride with those on must be horrible! Even just starting from behind a minor obstacle like a chain makes the launch a bit difficult.

There are now good information on various winter capable tires in several sizes around the forum, and what kinds of studs to install if you need grip on ice. Personally I wouldn’t waste even a second of my time to even try snow chains on an EUC...

In my first year I was investigating something similar and might even have bought something like this except the company that made them seemed to be out of business.

I know better now, although I think it would make for a very amusing video to see a wheel rattling down the street with chains on.

Edited by winterwheel

• 1 month later...

hahahaha, snow chains on a EUC, that is pure insanity. :roflmao: BUT if were to try this I think I would prefer something like a tire sock. Unfortunately they aren't worth the trouble to mount since it would require wheel removal unless there was an method to lash two ends together which might actually be doable. Oh, now that I think about it more you could lash the ends together and use a cable on each side of an appropriately built sock to further secure it to the tire.

Or you could use these if the wheel was built to accommodate them. They would be the easiest solution I think. :P