King Song 14D

Scott Henley

So I’ve had my KS14D for about a month now and I have to say ...it’s awesome . 

A while back I started commuting to and from work on a Segway Mini Pro , it was great at first but soon got very dull. So I started looking into EUC’s. After a lot of research and sleepless nights staying up and looking at all things EUC I decided  on the 14D with the help of  @Joey Serrin at ewheels. Within 5 days it came across the country and landed on my front porch . Man was I excited ! 

That first night it was pouring down rain so I took to the hallway to get a feel for it. I have to say that was a very discouraging 3 hours . I couldn’t go 5 feet without losing my balance and stepping off . The next day I took it to the parking lot at my work and spent 5hours honing my skills. The wheel took a few tumbles and despite my fears it held up to all the punishment I threw its way! So big kudos to kingsong for making a really rugged machine! By the end of the night I was able to ride it all the way back home . 

Now the fun had really started . My overall impressions are that the thing is built like a tank , maneuvers on a dime after getting the hang of it and is actually pretty fast . It’s capable of riding right at its limit (about 18mph) with ease . The D sports a 420wh battery which is small in comparison to other wheels but is more than adequate for my 3mile round trip to work and most days I take it along the hiking trails around the lake near my house and it performs very well there too. I was actually really surprised with how adept it is off road , large roots , sand, grass , gravel , light mud ...it eats it all up. And speaking of the lake : On about day 4 I got really comfortable (too comfortable) and went on a night time trail ride . I hit a root I didn’t see coming and my foot slipped off a pedal and landed on another root , twisting my ankle and causing me to lose the wheel ...it ended up completely submerged in a deep puddle/overflowed segment of one of the streams . I grabbed the wheel out as soon as I figured out where it was (maybe 5-10 seconds..maybe more it was a tense time ) powered it off and whiped it down . To my surprise it was perfectly fine ! I turned it back on and rode it home . No issues to date .

if you’re on the fence about your first wheel or maybe upgrading from a Ninebot or inmotion v5 this is the one ! Very reasonable price at $770 and a real beast in all conditions.

6D4EE77C-6CD7-4801-A9FC-27AAC17E5118.jpeg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you were lucky with that puddle.  I wouldn't make a habit of sending your wheel out for swimming lessons. ;)

And don't beat yourself up about the hallway thing.  It's my experience that riding in a confined space plays tricks on the mind, making it more difficult.

There's a similar phenomenon with height.  it's easy to walk on top of a wall that is 1m or less above the ground.  Now try it at 100m.  same wall thickness, but the mind says, no f-ing way.

5 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Sounds like you were lucky with that puddle.  I wouldn't make a habit of sending your wheel out for swimming lessons. ;)

And don't beat yourself up about the hallway thing.  It's my experience that riding in a confined space plays tricks on the mind, making it more difficult.

There's a similar phenomenon with height.  it's easy to walk on top of a wall that is 1m or less above the ground.  Now try it at 100m.  same wall thickness, but the mind says, no f-ing way.

Very lucky I think ?. Don’t think I’ll every try my luck again!

You’re absolutely right ! As soon as I got out into an open area and was able to move at a slightly higher speed it got much easier . Haha. That’s a very good point about height . Crazy the difference it makes !

23 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

You’re absolutely right ! As soon as I got out into an open area and was able to move at a slightly higher speed it got much easier . Haha. That’s a very good point about height . Crazy the difference it makes !

So now that you can ride, the trick is to go back to the hallway*... As you will be forced to ride slower, which is harder - but a skill worth mastering, as you will use it often (around pedestrians, et cetera).

* The Fat Unicyclist accepts no responsibility for any damage caused to riders, wheels or hallways during any suggested undertakings.

11 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So now that you can ride, the trick is to go back to the hallway*... As you will be forced to ride slower, which is harder - but a skill worth mastering, as you will use it often (around pedestrians, et cetera).

* The Fat Unicyclist accepts no responsibility for any damage caused to riders, wheels or hallways during any suggested undertakings.

I’ve been going down to the picnic area at the park and doing slow speed drills through the maze tables . But the hallway is a good idea too! I ride on average 3 hours a day now . Can’t we enough of it ! So it’s reallt starting to get like second nature . Can even kinda ride one footed (still working on that though) about to purchase a 18s in about a week so that will be a whole new experience! 

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

Have you considered an 18L?

Better to have one in the hand than two in the bush :)

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Better to have one in the hand than two in the bush :)

Words to live by?. Yes @Smoother, it’s all I was considering for a while . But recent news has come through that KS are lacking the capital to start the manufacturing process. They are awaiting preorders to come in to pay for it. So ...release date has been pushed back a few more months. Possibly August now . I want the 18L more than any other wheel out there but I’m too impatient to wait that long . 

erjs.

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Not if the one in the hand is so ugly, it makers babies cry.  :crying:

I like the look of the 18s personally. It’s not as sleek and attractive as the 18L but still . I like it . You don’t have to look at it ...don’t worry . I don’t live anywhere near you . ?

8 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

I like the look of the 18s personally. It’s not as sleek and attractive as the 18L but still . I like it . You don’t have to look at it ...don’t worry . I don’t live anywhere near you . ?

I love the look and performance of my black glossy KS18S,

.... but even moreso (as I've noted before on this forum), ....

I love the fact that many other riders don't love the look of the KS18S!

Makes owning and riding one way more unique than the droves of Teslas, V8's, Monsters and MSuperV3's I see around NYC. :ph34r:

30 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Makes owning and riding one way more unique than the droves of Teslas, V8's, Monsters and MSuperV3's I see around NYC. :ph34r:

I really love the black 18S with the unbranded pads and the black speaker covers rather than silver. Very classy. If the Z10 doesn't live up to the hype then an 18S will be in my shopping cart at some point. :thumbup:

I love my V8 to bits and to date it had never felt like it would let me down but from a safety perspective I want an 18"wheel,  at least 4 parallel packs,  and a 1200W motor under me. 

47 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

:laughbounce2:

1 hour ago, Scott Henley said:

Words to live by?. Yes @Smoother, it’s all I was considering for a while . But recent news has come through that KS are lacking the capital to start the manufacturing process. They are awaiting preorders to come in to pay for it. So ...release date has been pushed back a few more months. Possibly August now . I want the 18L more than any other wheel out there but I’m too impatient to wait that long . 

erjs.

This is very interesting. Some months ago I heard about some financial difficulties that KingSong was having. What dealer is going to pay for preorders to a company that is struggling :confused1: A Chinese company no less.

@KingSong69 must be very disappointed with this news (if it's true) since I know that he's been waiting for this new model.

52 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

erjs.

I was trying to decide on whether to wait for the 18L or new Ninebot Z10, but decided to make my second wheel purchase sooner than anticipated and got the 18S because of the uncertainty I had about the release timing and some technical details about those wheels.  

I'm surprised to learn that KS is lacking the capital to start manufacturing.  That's a bad sign in a tech-driven industry.   

16 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I really love the black 18S with the unbranded pads and the black speaker covers rather than silver. Very classy. If the Z10 doesn't live up to the hype then an 18S will be in my shopping cart at some point. :thumbup:

I love my V8 to bits and to date it had never felt like it would let me down but from a safety perspective I want an 18"wheel,  at least 4 parallel packs,  and a 1200W motor under me. 

I've got a bunch of cans of PlastiDip just waiting for me to build up the nerve to take a screwdriver to my 18S and start disassembling.  A couple of times I've come close to taking on the task, but I keep telling myself to wait until I have to take it apart.  

I'm going to do a metallic copper.  I've got a couple options.  

4 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I've got a bunch of cans of PlastiDip just waiting for me to build up the nerve to take a screwdriver to my 18S and start disassembling.  A couple of times I've come close to taking on the task, but I keep telling myself to wait until I have to take it apart.  

I'm going to do a metallic copper.  I've got a couple options.  

Takes pictures and/or video. Would be interesting to see :popcorn:

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Takes pictures and/or video. Would be interesting to see :popcorn:

I will.  I hesitated to even mention the colour so as not to ruin the surprise when I eventually do it and take pictures.  It's possible to fall down the PlastiDip rabbit hole if you're not careful.  So many cool colour options and non-permanent.  A big wheel like the 18S is a great canvas.  

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This is very interesting. Some months ago I heard about some financial difficulties that KingSong was having. What dealer is going to pay for preorders to a company that is struggling :confused1: A Chinese company no less.

@KingSong69 must be very disappointed with this news (if it's true) since I know that he's been waiting for this new model.

I have just checked this "rumours" with my asian resources...i will not quote him word by word...

But to bring it to the point: He says its total bullshit! 

@Scott Henley

Would you mind telling me where this "rumours" come from? 

@Marty Backe

i dont know if i will buy the 18L myself...as i am totally happy with my 18S-1680wh ,-)

But.: I allready organized to have it this year on my June Thailand holidays for a rent :-) So that would be disapointing if this doesnt happen...

Just now, KingSong69 said:

@Marty Backe

i dont know if i will buy the 18L myself...as i am totally happy with my 18S-1680wh ,-)

But.: I allready organized to have it this year on my June Thailand holidays for a rent :-) So that would be disapointing if this doesnt happen...

Yeah, I guess that's what I was thinking of. Though I maybe thought you were going to accept delivery of one in June. Didn't realize you can rent them :confused1:

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I guess that's what I was thinking of. Though I maybe thought you were going to accept delivery of one in June. Didn't realize you can rent them :confused1:

I'm planning on getting one... It will be the first wheel that will have a trolley handle that I com use without stooping! 

That, and the fact it is beautiful! 

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

I have just checked this "rumours" with my asian resources...i will not quote him word by word...

@Scott Henley

This came directly from my US dealer who was just at the KS facility in Shenzhen. @KingSong69.

this is what I was told 3 days ago. And it prompted me to start looking into other options.

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@Scott Henley

I really don’t want to be “that guy “ spreading false rumors so my apologies if I was given bad information, but not sure why they would say this if it wasn’t true. 

:efee96588e:

Naah, dont worry, not your fault if you have been told so!

But by all means:

It Looks like THIS Seller is the only seller who has this info at the moment! My Source is in Shenzhen just now and will try to find out more....

Archived