Ninebot One S2 Tyre Valve access

denzil

First time user here, just purchased Ninebot One S2, after having miniPro for a couple of months I decided to try something more challenging, and kids took over miniPro anyway. Now while doing some exercises I noticed very low tyre pressure. But I'm unable to reach tyre valve to top it up to 40-45PSI as recommend. The valve is not in parallel with a tyre (like on some youtube videos) and it makes it absolutely impossible to connect the extender. You can see it on the photo attached.

Lack of Segway support is really frustrating, for the price we pay, there should be at least a phone number to call, or a chat or something, submitting the form not helping, no response at all.

And I'm surprised there is very little info online about Ninebot S1/S2, is it not widely used? 

tyre.jpg

Probably the inner tube is not on the right place (relative to the rim). Try to to reduce the pressure further by pressing the valve stud with hook, and rotate the tire (together with the inner tube) relative to the rim.

Thanks for suggestion, I thought of that, but a round hole, in a rim, which valve is going through is not at the angle and it won't let valve be positioned in parallel with the rim. Any other ideas?

I'll see if I can make a picture of that, bear with me.

Thanks, so in this case, I need to send it back, I suppose. I'm not disassembling brand new S2 :(

I can try to move the valve, as suggested, but I'm afraid of breaking it, to be honest. Yours, S2 has it parallel to the rim?

6 minutes ago, Flow said:

My S2 has this exact same problem and my "solution" has sadly been just painstakingly disassembling it whenever I need to adjust tire pressure.

Oh dear, I just can't believe it, I only received it a couple of days ago. Disassembling is definitely not an option. If moving in it fail, I'll try to return it.

Out of curiosity, is there a video how to disassemble it?

Edited by denzil

10 minutes ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Really? Are you thinking on replacing the inner tube? It is only one disassembly. 

No, its new, tube is fine, I need to be able to access the valve - disassemble to remove white cover (on the picture) so I can reach it.

BTW, just found some phone numbers for UK/Ireland in original order email :) I spent 20 mins trying to find them online. I'll call them tomorrow to see if I need to return it.

Edited by denzil

1 hour ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Try to to reduce the pressure further by pressing the valve stud with hook, and rotate the tire (together with the inner tube) relative to the rim.

Tried that, and valve is standing its ground, I could move it just a little bit, but not enough to be able connect the extender :(

1 hour ago, denzil said:

Tried that, and valve is standing its ground, I could move it just a little bit, but not enough to be able connect the extender :(

You could cut a notch in the shell under the pedal, let out all the air and reposition the tube valve stem, and even if the valve stem won't turn, you could use an off set inflator.  image.jpeg.8180362a682e2af6e8dea424624d5280.jpeg JGHshgv7GmwC0gUGqPKuwU0zu4yluAXrWqqYAaCG8UooNXaxxegk7Iis-ECZwD2-T9K_f1-_6bH9H7OqQotwRE0VgzZDBHDVWIIuNyyUkn-VgnVlfCc29KDOjwZ_TObGk8YzVfo-uzzVu8aNSJg6gZdJuqPE6ZtHD1n-iAUpixNtU53mL6wyg5yoqdR7mDLmssGjF0JHC13OuTycDsIFwGWkg6AGB2e3ZQ0K0qBHYZuBh0efN91soSKiWHQXq2pbExfhWzZ7wdYiaF_EybcF_WHidcgJASwKi7MAJBkO3d_gQ1nAwJunEXmA6aqpXsUZneSSpovLujgcM7P9uogy8wEoF6Ct1YYDPLv9yUejTFSs5kjYAZ8fvvHvwd5WnHQA791Fk0B5xX2YDTv_2Il1MbBLnMZNlNK0K5syaxHrAcdxvkP2vzlHSjBYbraGPPI09z9J4sTB_-vjP8_Pvsex7gWB_PliiFckijYA0hXZmjAX8HjXfpNFJKZWqqK33jXz-mg_KjPUkquEnw7nPj4e3OsDho75B4ViKNS9gz3iLLQvKaPzv5cEDLlF5S9jDy8TeP1728LDBZivLuL3XnQ8D3kyxtrRHqvvAtvb3h8=w512-h288-no

Hi denzil, you forced ;) me to register and add my 3 cents to the discussion. I had a similar problem with my Ninebot One S2 purchased in December last year at Amazon.de as warehouse deals. It was the first euc on which I started to learn. After an hour of attempts I gave up because I could not cross more than 2 meters. After coming home, I saw that there is no air in the unicycle. When I wanted to inflate it, it turned out that only the thread protruded from the tire to which it was not possible to screw the extension valve. I wanted to return it to Amazon and sent an e-mail with a description of the fault. The next morning I received a phone call from Germany with return options. One of them assumed that if I tried to fix it myself, Amazon would give me a discount. I took pictures and went to a nearby Halfords store, but after hearing that it would be necessary to dismantle a complete monocycle - they gave up. I went to a small bicycle shop and it was a hit. The owner, after carefully looking at my EUC, stretched the tire in one place holding one hand and the other pulled out the entire valve. Then he inflated it and gave it to me. The whole operation lasted several minutes. So my advice is for you to try the bike shop.

Apologies for my English - I am Polish living in London.

IMG_20180117_085715.jpg

IMG_20180117_085736.jpg

IMG_20180117_090006.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you all guys for your input, it is really frustrating that such widespread issue has not yet been addressed by Segway in new units. I believe S2 is the latest one, and I purchased it directly from Segway for that very reason - to get good support in the future and to buy latest tech. Now, I'm thinking I could just go with warehouse deals.  I have called UK number (from order email) and they promised to give me a call back. I'll post any outcome. I would like to try the moving unpressurised tyre approach, but I fear to brake something and void warranty, I'll wait to hear what they would say. 

Its annoying as I'm impatient to start learning, but I'm scared I'll damage the tyre if I continue to do so in its current condition.

On 29/1/2018 at 8:54 PM, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Try to to reduce the pressure further by pressing the valve stud with hook

And after ten minutes of messing around and moving empty tube (pressure reduced) back and forth I managed to pull the valve out of the wheel. It looks like the most of the valve part was inside. I hope it didn't damage the tube while I was trying it a little before I noticed. This shouldn't have passed Segway QA!

Thanks everyone for helping!

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 21.50.29.png

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, denzil said:

And after ten minutes of messing around and moving empty tube (pressure reduced) back and forth I managed to pull the valve out of the wheel. It looks like the most of the valve part was inside. I hope it didn't damage the tube while I was trying it a little before I noticed. This shouldn't have passed Segway QA!

Thanks everyone for helping!

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 21.50.29.png

As long as the tube holds air, it's good.  Recommend not to let it get below 35 psi.  Mine came flat also, if I hadn't already had experience with other wheels, I would have been in the same situation.  They all seem to lose air over a period of weeks.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, steve454 said:

As long as the tube holds air, it's good.  Recommend not to let it get below 35 psi.  Mine came flat also, if I hadn't already had experience with other wheels, I would have been in the same situation.  They all seem to lose air over a period of weeks.

It actually came without air, new, out of the box. I suppose I have to keep an eye on it.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Monocyklista said:

It's really annoying that Ninebot didn't advice new users of their products to inflate tire before riding on them.

Page 12 of the S1 user manual, rider safety section, says to check the tire for low pressure before every ride.  But it's in such small print and so near the end of the manual it could easily be missed.  They should put it in the front of the manual, in large print, in the section on unboxing and set up, under the heading : Before first ride air up tire.

Unfortunately I didn't found that sentence. Instead on page 12 there's info about daily maintenance. On page 11 in Safety Instructions they says - " Perform a basic check on the Ninebot One S2 before each ride. Check for loose parts, punctures or tire wear and abnormal noises or faults when steering." I would rather expect to put warning on a box containing the wheel.

Ninebot One S2 box.jpg

28 minutes ago, Monocyklista said:

Unfortunately I didn't found that sentence. Instead on page 12 there's info about daily maintenance. On page 11 in Safety Instructions they says - " Perform a basic check on the Ninebot One S2 before each ride. Check for loose parts, punctures or tire wear and abnormal noises or faults when steering." I would rather expect to put warning on a box containing the wheel.

Ninebot One S2 box.jpg

Yes, and a tag on the handle like Gotway puts on their wheels.  Your manual is different from mine, the S1 booklet is square in shape.

It is common sense to check tire pressure before riding, the only problem with unicycles its not the same as with your bike, like I didn't know that its better to learn on low pressure, even it makes perfect sense now.

The issue was to reach the valve to be able to top up the pressure. Thanks Ch.Eng.62 and others for suggestion to lower the pressure further to be able to pull the valve. Now after using it for a couple of weeks, the pressure remain the same meaning nothing was damaged during the surgery :) 

• 1 year later...

Hello guys!

Speedy feet are excellent for advice and all your needs, wheels and spears buy from them they pump the tyre up on  each ninbot wheel before they ship. Don buy cheep get crap and no advice or help